PDA

View Full Version : Sod's Bl00dy law strikes again!!.....

Kieran
09-02-2008, 06:23 PM
DOH!! /dunce
So anyway - Today I had a break from DIY to play with my 4 wheeled toys with the aim of fitting my LC-1 wideband sensor.

And it was easy enough! Got it all spliced in and soldered, calibrated it and fired up. For the first time in ages no honk of petrol and a nice oscilating 02 signal in EVO Scan!:afro:

I go for a drive, come back, pull in and tidy up the wiring. Then like a complete prune I disconnected the calibration wire with the ignition still on. I didn't realise this at the time.

Then I started the car... :oops:

So tomorrow I'll be pulling the 02 sensor back out and re-calibrating it again!!/pan /wall

Nice But
09-02-2008, 06:25 PM
K

Is someone supposed to say 'Muppet' :evilgrin: /pan

Kieran
09-02-2008, 06:27 PM
I guess i'll just go get my coat...

:coat

Nice But
09-02-2008, 06:46 PM
I need to learn all about this tuning lark.......... I can see it getting very expensive after Japfest :afro: :speechles

Spirit
09-02-2008, 06:51 PM
I guess i'll just go get my coat...

:coat

Effective use of the new smiley I see !

Nick Mann
09-02-2008, 07:26 PM
To be fair, I haven't a clue why that would be a problem yet! But a wideband has got to be one of my next purchases.

big Pete
09-02-2008, 07:44 PM
may I suggest the words .....arse biscuits?

I would have used these words extensively!!

miller
09-02-2008, 08:50 PM
for one moment there i thought you were gonna mention your bright shiny new garage door :evilgrin:

Kieran
09-02-2008, 11:29 PM
may I suggest the words .....arse biscuits?

I would have used these words extensively!!

/haz

Alex reckons my mutterings were on a par with Father Jack.../grr

Kieran
09-02-2008, 11:32 PM
To be fair, I haven't a clue why that would be a problem yet!

You calibrate the sensor whilst it's in fresh air. This scales the voltage so that fresh air equals 'mega lean'.

What I did was trigger the calibration process again, and then start the engine!:speechles This now means that the sensor has calibrated itself thinking that the tree-withering fumes of a rich 6A13TT equals ultra lean fresh air! :oops:

Kenneth
09-02-2008, 11:38 PM
did something similar with mine. Fortunately I lived on or close to a fairly long steep hill at the time.

So I just ran the car up, got on the hill and about 2/3 the way down (no foot on the gas so the injectors were off) hit the re-calibrate button again.

Did the trick. (and is actually suggested as a way to re-calibrate without having to remove the sensor or wait 6+ hours)

Was much quicker than jacking the car up and taking the sensor back out :P

Kieran
09-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Mmmmm that's an idea.... Might try that!

Turbo_Steve
09-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Can you not just turn the car on without starting the engine, connect the calibrate, disconnect the calibrate, and off we go? The exhaust should be full of fresh air once it's cooled down.

I'm sure there is a good reason why not, but I can't see it?

Kieran
09-02-2008, 11:52 PM
Can you not just turn the car on without starting the engine, connect the calibrate, disconnect the calibrate, and off we go? The exhaust should be full of fresh air once it's cooled down.

I'm glad it's not just me that thought this. I'll try it. I have datalogs with it correctly calibrated so I'll be able to tell if this isn't a good idea.

Kenneth
09-02-2008, 11:55 PM

You are supposed to wait something like 6hours for the fumes to go away and not affect the calibration.

When you stop the car, the fumes don't just exit the exhaust, they sit there.
This is why going down a hill with the injectors off works, the engine pumps through clean air and it doesn't take long at all to displace all the exhaust gases in the exhaust with fresh air.

Kieran
10-02-2008, 12:11 AM
So If i fire my compressor up and shove the airline up the exhaust, that should do it!

Meh - I think I'll do it properly and calibrate in free air. It won't take long.:scholar:

Kenneth
10-02-2008, 12:15 AM
So If i fire my compressor up and shove the airline up the exhaust, that should do it!

Meh - I think I'll do it properly and calibrate in free air. It won't take long.:scholar:

or just leave it sitting over night, turn the ignition on in the morning but don't start the car. re-calibrate.

Seeing as it is fairly late at night there now, wouldn't this be the simplest thing to do?

Kieran
10-02-2008, 12:29 AM
Seeing as it is fairly late at night there now, wouldn't this be the simplest thing to do?

Yes, but I would be fretting that it wasn't right.... I'm (needlessly) fussy like that..../pan

Turbo_Steve
10-02-2008, 12:38 AM
Kieren...you're right. If you're in any doubt, do it so you feel happy.

Kenneth, I think that's probably overcautious: had a "connecty" pipe on the zed for a while (so mid lambda was measuring same as post-turbo...don't ask why...long story) both readings were clear in less than 15 mins.
The heat of the exhaust means plenty of convection going on, which seems to clear it fairly quickly.

That's not to say leaving it 6hrs isn't perfectly correct, just that my experience differs marginally. Are these LM-1s any good? I've seen them used, but not experienced one personally....was going to go for a PLX jobbie until I saw how cheap these are!

Nutter_John
10-02-2008, 01:19 AM
I have the LC1 , which use the same sensor as the LM-1 , only difference is that the LM-1 is a handheld one and the LC-1 is a fit and forget ( apart from the regular calibration - which reminds me mine needs cleaning and re-calibrating now as well )

They both work quite well and have not had any issues with either