PDA

View Full Version : What type of fuel should I use??

michaeli
09-02-2004, 07:03 PM
It was suggested that I always use Shell Optimax, there is defibnately a performance differance when I use normal unleaded but is it worth the extra 5p per litre?? :greedy:

We were also speaking about Methanol, where can I buy it from and is it safe?? :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Mike

SGHOM
09-02-2004, 07:13 PM
optimax certainly, But as for methanol, :huh: look at thread, under performance mods, started by Lomy.

Brind
09-02-2004, 10:08 PM
You can use normal just as well as using Optimax, it is 'safe' to do so but you'll find you will lose approximately 40bhp if your ECU shuts itself down to 'safe mode', it may not happen to you, but it does it everytime on mine.

It does have benifits anyway, but since our cars require the higher octane, optimax will ensure the engine works at its optimum.

RAVEN
10-02-2004, 01:02 AM
As well as performance, you also get more miles and better fuel economy. I got an extra 30 miles from Optimax over normal unleaded ... so more cost effective in the long run.

colVR4
10-02-2004, 11:29 AM
I also find that if I run Optimax or Ultima (BP) that I do get better fuel economy, so it does actually work out less than an extra 5p per litre.

The other thing to consider is that these fuels are meant to contain cleaning additives (similar to products like Redex) which keep the insides nice and sparkling :-b so they should prolong engine life and keep your injectors flowing smoothly. This all comes from the sales blurb so it could be a pile of horse c**p :smug:

ReggieK
20-02-2004, 05:45 PM
Where I live I noticed that BP Ultimate is 4/5p a litre more than the Optimax. How the hell it can be worth even a penny more is beyond me.

The couple of times I have been forced into using it, I cannot say I have noticed much of a difference.

Is there any feeling that Ultimate is better for the VR4 than Optimax?

Kieran
20-02-2004, 05:51 PM
The best petrol the GLS had was the ESSO Super unleaded that we stopped for on the way back from Swindon! BP ultimate doesn't feel as responsive in comparison! :undecided

Spirit
20-02-2004, 05:54 PM
First person to say the Esso is better - thats a new hat in the ring.

Personally Optimax when I can get it or Ultimate usually

Nick VR4
20-02-2004, 06:00 PM
Optimax all the way and the petrol station is a 2 minute drive away :D

BP Ultima is over priced :veryangry

Nick Mann
20-02-2004, 07:38 PM
I actually agree with Kieran - the esso super worked very well. Shell over BP anytime. I don't touch Texaco - it doesn't matter how good the fuel is, they charge 15p+ more than the premium for the super!!