PDA

View Full Version : headlights

shaun1978
11-02-2008, 01:40 AM
:inquisiti Just wondering whats the difference between the all in one headlights and the ones with the separate indicators, which are best and are they interchangeable? i wouldnt mind seeing wot the headlights offa my other galant would look like./rally

AncientOfMu
11-02-2008, 02:50 AM
As far as I'm aware the one piece JDM ones are plastic. The two piece UK and Euro ones are glass. They are directly interchangable.

From my own experience The UK ones , becasue of the clearer lenses seem to be brighter..or maybe my VR4 ones just had very old bulbs in them :thinking:

HMG1K
11-02-2008, 11:26 AM
As far as I'm aware the one piece JDM ones are plastic. The two piece UK and Euro ones are glass. They are directly interchangable.

From my own experience The UK ones , becasue of the clearer lenses seem to be brighter..or maybe my VR4 ones just had very old bulbs in them :thinking:

I follow that too...

Also I prefer the UK / Euro ones as they look cleaner and more swish than the JDM ones... Plus you get clear indicators as standard as oppose dto having to follow the guide on here to make them clear... Time saving all round!

pitslayer
11-02-2008, 11:53 AM
the uk spec ones arent all clear, they have plastic orange indicitaor, so you will still have to de-orange the car, unless you can find a set of clear indicators. i personally prefer the look of the all in one, as it doesnt have the bulge on the indicator

Turbo_Steve
11-02-2008, 12:11 PM
I like the all-in-ones too. The drawback is that the plastic will yellow over time, but as long as they're in good nick, they look better than the glass ones. Slap some HIDs in, and you'll never care about brightness.

HMG1K
11-02-2008, 12:25 PM
the uk spec ones arent all clear, they have plastic orange indicitaor, so you will still have to de-orange the car, unless you can find a set of clear indicators. i personally prefer the look of the all in one, as it doesnt have the bulge on the indicator

The facelift run-out models in the UK had two-piece light and indicator sets with clear indicator lenses, so you didn't have to de-orange them if you wanted...

The facelift VR4s were JDM cars so had the all-in-one lights and indicators.

I-S
11-02-2008, 12:55 PM
All UK spec galants from first facelift (2000) onwards had clear indicator lenses and repeaters.

The japanese models are, as stated, polycarbonate lensed, which means they scratch, degrade in UV light, etc. UK spec are glass and have a reputation of being a little better, but they can crack/chip (g6acb and I have both had lights damaged to the point of needing replacement - ade's was a pheasant and mine was a stone on the M6).

Nice But
11-02-2008, 03:25 PM
So any facelift euro Galant headlight/indicators are a straight swap........ my JDM ones are ok but a tad misty on the insides, I might drop them out and clean them before I HID them........ unless I can find a UK Galant with both lights in good nick and importantly cheap.....:thinking: :happy:

HMG1K
11-02-2008, 03:44 PM
So any facelift euro Galant headlight/indicators are a straight swap........ my JDM ones are ok but a tad misty on the insides, I might drop them out and clean them before I HID them........ unless I can find a UK Galant with both lights in good nick and importantly cheap.....:thinking: :happy:

Common problem on all Galant headlights - pre or facelift, JDM or Euro...!

It's documented on here how to open, dry them and reseal the units... Same with the facelift fogs - another misty customer!

pitslayer
11-02-2008, 04:26 PM
my whirley lights on my van are polycarb, take them off bit of autoglym glass polish come up sparkley new, which is quite wierd as the autoglym glass polish is rubbish on glass

Nice But
11-02-2008, 04:38 PM
HM thanks...... that would be the de orange your lights thread I presume? It's not so much misting more of a film that would be left over if a bulb exploded..... I intend to de orange my indicators front and back so will polish the insides up when I've got them in bits.

A bit of a thread shift here - Are the clear side repeaters from the later Galants and do they fit a pre facelift?

HMG1K
11-02-2008, 05:13 PM
HM thanks...... that would be the de orange your lights thread I presume? It's not so much misting more of a film that would be left over if a bulb exploded..... I intend to de orange my indicators front and back so will polish the insides up when I've got them in bits.

A bit of a thread shift here - Are the clear side repeaters from the later Galants and do they fit a pre facelift?

That's the one - the de-orange thread...

Nice But - have you got clear lenses on the back of your Galant / Legnum..? If so go for Philips SilverVision indicator bulbs. Issac and Johnny_Cashed recommended them to me (see http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28344&page=3&highlight=philips) and they are awsum! Completely silver bulbs through the clear lens - when they flash, they flash orange - and bright too!

Not sure on the pre / facelift sides - over to someone else... but you can buy clear sides or smoked off eBay for around £10 / £15 a pair... I put smoked ones on mine, being a black car, to ditch the clear ones.

Beastlee
11-02-2008, 05:35 PM
I had to change to 2 piece units to get LHD lights fitted and I'm happy that I did. As mentioned before the lights are brighter and 'cleaner' and give a more aggressive look.
My HID bulbs have arrived today and I will be doing a write-up on the conversion as soon as I get an opportunity to fit them.

Nice But
11-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Nice But - have you got clear lenses on the back of your Galant / Legnum..?

I don't think so..... I've got the silver vision bulbs in my RX8 and MX5, the only downside is if the sun shines on them they can be difficult to see....... and they won't stand up with an insurance company if you get rearended, still got them though :inquisiti

thanks for the info on the repeaters...... I want some clear ones now /pan