PDA

View Full Version : Profec E-01- Correct setup after big peak

Beastlee
11-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Ok so it's been a really nice day here today, warm and sunny but cool air. I brought the car back the usual route and /rally it on the Autobahn, as it shifted into 5th there was a slight pause followed by one or two more but no drastic fuel cut. When I finally slowed down on the slip road I noticed the peak boost had shot up to 1.23 bar :scholar: which is way above anything I have ever had (previous max was .91bar). The car only has the Profec E-01 and a Greddy Hard Rad Pipe so I figured this was pretty good considering but the thought of it cutting concerns me:inquisiti . I have a couple of Qs therefore:

Why would I suddenly get sush a hike despite weeks of doing the same thing with no changes?

Can anyone please give a definitive guide to how best to set up the Profec E-01 as I am not even sure the settings I have are right/safe?

If I get an E-Manage Blue will this resolve the fuelling problems anyway and make it safer (as long as correctly setup)?

Can someone please explain the reson for fuel cut so I am absoloutely clear on the matter?

Thanks
Lee

Nutter_John
11-02-2008, 11:25 PM
feul cut is well discussed in other threads, but simple terms the car does not like the load cell it is in and cut fuel to prevent serious damage , the problem is too much fueld cut can cause damage

fifth gear is always a heavy gear and can induce fuel cut as the load cell you in can be well outside the safe zone for it , ie 1.1 bar at 3000 rpm is well beyond what the ecu thinks is safe

fuel cut is simple to deal with , take you right foot off and easy back a little , do not keep pushing it will go pop pop bang wallop

suggest you jot down your settings and someone with one can compare the settings to theres

Beastlee
11-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Thanks John, I'll get them tomorrow and compare notes. I do tend to back off when it starts and then ease it back up but it only seems to do it for a second then it's fine. I was shocked when I saw the peak and wished I had read the instructions on logging runs. I may check it out tomorrow daytime and record the run home tomorrow.

Nutter_John
11-02-2008, 11:31 PM
i have had real bad cut before now and thought the engine had droped onto the road ,but she's still running only with no fuel cut now :D

timiano
15-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Good question that, with my new Profec E-01, I've been experiencing similar.

I'm a little bit confused though, as I was always under the impression that 'fuel cut' felt like hitting a brick wall, i.e. "OMFG WTF was that!?!?!".

What I'm getting though, is what I would consider a slight pause, almost like it just stops accelerating, and then carries on if I keep my foot on the loud pedal. A bit of a murmur if anything.

It only happens if I'm booting it from low down in the rev range. If I'm redlining it from 1st to 5th, it's never an issue. But, low revs, say in 3rd at about 1500 rpm, boot it, and when I hit around 3000-3500 it stutters, and then carries on to redline very happily.

Reading into the history of my car, RitchW experienced similar without boost controller, and it was down to mucked up fuel filter - the teabag one that hangs off of the pump. I'm tempted to check the state of this filter, and maybe just replace the pump if it is easier.

It just doesn't feel like what everyone describes as fuel cut. If you have any more information/findings, please pass them on.

Cheers

Tim

Beastlee
15-02-2008, 07:47 PM
OK so it's not repeated itself but I did remember to get the current settings :

Set = 45%
Gain = 11
Start = 0.56

I normally hit around .85 to .90 bar with this setting and I'm still looking for info on the correct way to configure it. I have managed to get it to record a run but can't work out how to get the data back from it.

Nutter_John
15-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Tim what you describe is closer to hesitation than fuel cut

This can be caused by quite a few things but when i had it is was due to sparkplugs

Lee will download the manual and translate those figures into english , or I'm sure wodjyes will be along at some point with comments as he has one

Beastlee
15-02-2008, 09:16 PM
I downloaded the english version of the manual but there's just too much info. I just remembered though that I have bought the additional harness for the Profec E-01 so I can wire it to a few sensors if need be.

Turbo_Steve
15-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Fuel cut hurts.
I'd suggest you either had a slight misfire....or the the engine pulled timing due to knock.

Beastlee
15-02-2008, 09:56 PM
With BP Ultimate 100 I hope not? I wonder if at 1.23 bar the fuel pump was struggling to cope. I have reset the ECU whilst fitting the new lamps so I will see if the car feels different as it's the first time since I moved over here and onto the 100 fuels.

Kieran
15-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Have you got any datalogging capability Lee?

Beastlee
15-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Kieran, the E-01 logs the boost/RPM but I have nothing else right now. I'm looking at the e-manage which would help, however, with the vets fees I can't afford it.

Kieran
15-02-2008, 11:18 PM
I don't think you'd need that expensde just yet Lee - A simple USB Diag cable and a copy of EVOScan would help. This would allow you to see your knock levels, ignition timing and such.

Beastlee
15-02-2008, 11:38 PM
I think I shall invest in that! The car goes like stink in 1-3 its just the top of 4th and 5th it stutters but only twice out of 20+ runs.

Turbo_Steve
16-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Definitely sounds like it's load related, Lee: you might be right on the fuel-pump theory, esp at 1.23Bar! Of course, the alternative is that your spark is getting snuffed at that sort of boost level.
Weak fuel pump will definitely give you detonation through running lean.....be careful!

Beastlee
16-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the info, I have the unit set to a maximum 1 bar in the options but it obviously doesn't cut itself at that point. I'll try and keep the load off for now and spend some time learning how to do playbacks of the runs.

Turbo_Steve
16-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Lee, not sure how you've defeated your fuel cut, but it might be worth adjusting your fuel cut defender so it cuts at 1.1Bar if you don't trust the Profec.

Also, might be worth turning the gain down (er...or up..can't remember which way round it is on the Greddys) which may stop you getting on boost quite as quickly, but is a worthy sacrifice to knock off the spiking.

BTW...nice colour...same as mine :D

Beastlee
17-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Steve,

I don't have a cut defender as far as I know it's just a setting in the Profec that I now think only alerts you.
I have turned the gain up slightly as I was advised this would stop the boost dropping off at high RPM in order to protect from fuel-cut. Will investigate again.

Beastlee
20-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Forgot to post a pic of where I have mounted the unit, will be making a surround that uses the old clock fixings.

uploaded/4273/1203543196.jpg

Wodjno
20-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Steve,

I have turned the gain up slightly as I was advised this would stop the boost dropping off at high RPM.

Are you not using the RPM OFFSET facility ?

Beastlee
21-02-2008, 07:55 AM
Glenn, If I knew how to set it up to use that properly I would be using it.

If I consider what has been posted in Mark's thread, here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29839), then I am only aiming for a boost of 0.40 bar but it starts working at 0.56bar which is completely wrong.
In theory if I want 0.9bar I should set it to SET=90, GAIN=0 and START=0.69 initially with a tweak to the GAIN setting as needed. However surely this is way too high on the SET and START? Then I need to work out the RPM offsets, how?
I think the problem with all of these guides is a lack of examples against what is stated. The other problem is the different units that can be used on the unit and what is used in the guides.
I should have a bit of time this weekend and 100 litres of fuel available so I may have to start testing, I just don't want to blow the whole thing up by setting it wrong.

Thanks for highlighting the RPM offset though, if it works then I suppose it's another reason why the Greddy may be difficult to set-up initially but worth it in the end.

Mark 4
21-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks for highlighting the RPM offset though, if it works then I suppose it's another reason why the Greddy may be difficult to set-up initially but worth it in the end.

I totally agree with this, it is fiddly but definitely worth it in the end. Glenn helped me to understand mine ands set it up. Keep playing and eventually the penny will drop and you will have mastered it./rally

Beastlee
24-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Glenn,

Would you be able to provide some insight into the RPM offset side of things? I am re-writing the document Mark found to relate more closely to our cars and include the E-01 as it has more facilities than the B Spec II reffered to.

Will the RPM offset reduce problems with the difference between high and low gears or is this inevitable?

Wodjno
24-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Glenn,

Would you be able to provide some insight into the RPM offset side of things? I am re-writing the document Mark found to relate more closely to our cars and include the E-01 as it has more facilities than the B Spec II reffered to.

Will the RPM offset reduce problems with the difference between high and low gears or is this inevitable?

Sorry Lee..

I was gonna write in depth easy to follow instructions on how to set up the e-01 the other night but then i got side tracked /pan

I would steer clear of the RPM offset for the Mo.. We need to get you stable boost throughout the rev range and in all gears..

You need to be setting the e-01 up in 3rd or preferably 4th gear. And with you having some nice big long roads near by where you live ;) you should be able to get some runs in 4th.. If not 3rd will be ok for now :)

I would start with an initial SET point of 35, this should give you around 12 to 13 psi.. Start with an initial point at 20. Log a run from around 1500rpm in 3rd gear, take it all the way to the redline, limiter if you can. Pull over and playback your log.. You will then get a good idea of what boost level and how fast your boost is coming on and what type if any? of a boost spike you get.. It's taking it back to basics but it's the best way to get the best out of the e-01 and our cars Turbs :D

The E-01 does have an Auto Set-up Mode, but with our small Turbo's the E-01 won't complete the Set-up.. So thats why we have to use the Manual Set-up... I'm glad in a way, because you get to play with the E-01 more, and you have a better, and more complete understanding of Boost and Our cars..

Any more questions.. Just hit me with them.. I'll stay with you to the end on this 1, and hopefully by the end of it, we'll have an in depth enough thread for me to rip it to pieces and do a comprehensive write up for the E-01 :pimp2:

Beastlee
24-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Glenn,

Thanks for the info, I'll follow your instructions and report back.

I have remade the document Mark posted in the other thread and attached it here. Hopefully it can be some use and we can develop it.

Beastlee
25-02-2008, 03:14 PM
OK so this morning I found out I've been driving around with one of my tyres running the wrong way. The tyres had been done before I bought it and I don't know how I never noticed it but the driver's front has the inside mark on the outside of the tyre.
Whilst I have been drivng the car hard on many occasions completely unaware I am not going to willingly take the chance on it going, especially as the inner edge (should be outside) is bald so I can't even turn it round happily.
I'm loking for new wheels now so the only driving wil lbe steady rate to the auto shops in order to see what the wheels look like against the car.
Will update the thread as soon as I do some more tests.

Beastlee
26-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Sorry Lee..
I would start with an initial SET point of 35, this should give you around 12 to 13 psi.. Start with an initial point at 20. Log a run from around 1500rpm in 3rd gear, take it all the way to the redline, limiter if you can. Pull over and playback your log.. You will then get a good idea of what boost level and how fast your boost is coming on and what type if any? of a boost spike you get.. It's taking it back to basics but it's the best way to get the best out of the e-01 and our cars Turbs :D

Glenn, could you confirm which of the settings you recommend at an initial point of 20, I'm guessing GAIN but it seems a little high to me.
Have put my current settings on the Hi part and I'm using the Lo to play. Drove in this morning as we need both cars today and I currently have it at
SET = 35
GAIN = 10
START = 8psi

Will edit this post later once I have had the tyre doneand reviewed the playback

Beastlee
27-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Did a little run on the way into work and my peak is 11.3psi with the above settings. I've recorded the whole journey into work from the end of my road so I can see anything untoward, now I know how to play it back it's fantastic to watch. Will check for boost drop-off and adjust accordingly before the run home tonight.

EDIT (12:30CET): OK so I ran a small test on the way back from getting the tyre sorted, 4th gear from 1750RPM to approx 4000rpm WOT. I peaked at 11.5psi with a small amount of decrease after the peak. Have upped the GAIN to 15% and will try again on the way home.

Beastlee
27-02-2008, 06:24 PM
OK, so I did a run on the Autobahn as best I could, unfortunately it was staggered as some German lass decided to make sure I couldn't pull out and then slowed down once I was behind her.
Below is the 3rd gear pull from approx 1750 rpm, you can see the staggered acceleration(shows boost and RPM):
uploaded/4273/1204132729.jpg
Below is the picture of a quick blip in 4th gear :
uploaded/4273/1204132775.jpg

Both show minor degredation of the boost over the RPM, I have added another 1% to the GAIN(now 16%) to see if it fixes that. I did notice it seemed to level out all the time at 10psi when I booted it which looked odd but didn't reappear on the playback.
Glenn, do you have any comments on this?

PS. What I felt with the boost spike felt just like hitting the limiter did today, perhaps I had just held 3rd too long that day :inquisiti

Mark 4
27-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Stick with it Lee, Glenn will get you there.

I found it all very confusing at first but after fiddling with the boost over the winter as air temp and therefore density has been fluctuating I am starting to understand a little better.

For instance, I know that my best setting in the summer months is Set:42 Gain: 38 Start:11.5.

But during the colder months I have been usinf Set:35 Gain33 Start 12.

Currently I am running Set:45 Gain:35 Set:12.

What you need to focus on is getting the boost as high as you are comfortable with and consistent. Not boosting all the way through the rev range because it is bound to fall away.

Then you will move on to the rpm offset to maintain the boost all the way through the rev range. And possibly - as I have done - use negative settings to avoid the fuel/boost cut spots. For example at 4000 rpm I have my RPM offset at minus 5. This gets me passed the main fuel cut point and boost then increases to 1 bar at 5000 rpm all the way to 7000 rpm.

As I say stick with it and Glenn is your man when it comes to the E01

Cheers
Mark.

Beastlee
27-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Mark,
thanks for the vote of encouragement, I'm sure it will come good in the end.

Beastlee
02-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Mark, do you still have the uprated fuel pump and FPR you had in the classifieds?

Glenn, I did another run and I seem to be having an initial peak of 12psi but it immediately drops to 10psi and slowly decreases to about 9.3psi over the full 4th gear range. I have the current recording on the unit and can make a small vid clip if it helps, it'll probably be quite a big file though.

Wodjno
03-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Right... From what i can see.. The main reason for your spike would be the 8psi Start.. Your only boosting to a Tad over 10psi, so the Start is to close to the Overall Boost your tryinging to achieve..

Try this.. Set 44.. Gain 24 and Start 10psi.. These are based on the figures you have already tested with..

Hopefully you should be achieving around 1 bar boost, and just a little spike, if any ?

Give it a run at that and report back.. Try to get a full run to the redline without any staggers.. If you can only achieve it in 3rd, that will be OK.. At least we'll have a full log to look at.. We'll then get a good idea of how the boost is holding up and where we need to start adjusting the RPM Offset..

Oh ! Nearly forgot ? Check in your settings on the E-01 that you haven't got the Boost Limiter Set to Low.. I would switch it off altogether for now ! Or at least stick it up to around 17psi, so it doesn'tget in the way of testing.. This could be what you felt, that you originally thought was Fuel Cut, but now think may have been Rev Limeter.. It could have been the E-01 cutting the boost..

Beastlee
03-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Glenn, it's not spiking as such, just peaks initially and then drops a little like a nipple on the graph then it's fairly flat through the range.
I don't really want to push it to 1bar at the moment as at .9 I was getting a little bit of fuel cut. It peaks at 12-12.6 psi at the moment and settels tot he 10 psi. I'll tweak it more toward what you suggest but surely 10pis start is closer to the target than the 8psi was?
The boost limiter was set to 13psi which it has never reached but I'll nudge it up slightly.

I can post as many pics as you like of the graphs and I have one vid already and can get more, the bandwidth is where it falls down. I will try another 4th gear run but the roads are normally too busy during the times I can get out for testing which causes problems. I'll try and do a 2 way run, once in 3rd then another in 4th, and I'll go a little further toward Holland where the road is quieter.

Thanks

Wodjno
03-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Glenn, it's not spiking as such, just peaks initially and then drops a little like a nipple on the graph then it's fairly flat through the range.
I don't really want to push it to 1bar at the moment as at .9 I was getting a little bit of fuel cut. It peaks at 12-12.6 psi at the moment and settels tot he 10 psi. I'll tweak it more toward what you suggest but surely 10pis start is closer to the target than the 8psi was?
The boost limiter was set to 13psi which it has never reached but I'll nudge it up slightly.

I can post as many pics as you like of the graphs and I have one vid already and can get more, the bandwidth is where it falls down. I will try another 4th gear run but the roads are normally too busy during the times I can get out for testing which causes problems. I'll try and do a 2 way run, once in 3rd then another in 4th, and I'll go a little further toward Holland where the road is quieter.

Thanks

From the graphs you show .. It only shows a peak a tad over 10 ? Thats what i have based my figures on ? But if your getting peaks of 13 and then levelling down to 10psi, then it's deffo your start boost thats to high.. If you up your Set to 40-42 you should be able to leave the start at 8psi.. Otherwise i'd drop it 1 or 2 psi at the Set figures you have now.. The Gain seems ok for now..

Beastlee
03-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Ok, I had adjusted since the posted graphs hence the newer figures. Will try amending as you mention.

Beastlee
04-03-2008, 08:34 PM
OK, I had a go on the way home and surprise surprise the German drivers decided to ensure I couldn't pull out then slowed in front of me messing up the first run. I upped the SET slightly and dropped the START a little too before this run.
Again you can see the little lump then it levels at slightly less:
uploaded/4273/1204658608.jpg

At what I assume is the limiter it cuts for a split second then raises further then I shift cause it seems too dangerous.
uploaded/4273/1204658725.jpg

Then I managed to get a WOT run but unfortunately only from 2600RPM but at least it gets to the limiter (I think again).
uploaded/4273/1204658928.jpg uploaded/4273/1204658996.jpg

I had planned to go back out for some runs tonight but the snow and the fact Heidi offered a bottle of the finest Rose wine at dinner put paid LOL.

Wodjno
04-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Looks pretty good.. What were the Levels of Set/Gain/Start ??

Beastlee
05-03-2008, 08:51 AM
SET = 40
GAIN = 16
START = 7.5

I have upped the SET to 42 this morning, do think I should add a little more gain for now?
I'm hoping to add the extra harness at the weekend, it should let me show throttle position and speed. Hopefully the throttle pos. will be of some use.

Wodjno
05-03-2008, 09:30 AM
SET = 45 :happy:
GAIN = 20 :happy:
START = 9 :happy:

Beastlee
05-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Hmm, will add pics in a bit but with me up to 42 set I got some cut and it reached 13.3 psi

Wodjno
05-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Hmm, will add pics in a bit but with me up to 42 set I got some cut and it reached 13.3 psi

Ok.. Was this in 3rd or 4th ? Was it Deffo Fuel Cut or was you hitting the E-01 limiter ?

Beastlee
05-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Was in 3rd for the run, doubt it was the limiter as I cranked it up and the peak was only 13.3psi.

Wodjno
06-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Was in 3rd for the run, doubt it was the limiter as I cranked it up and the peak was only 13.3psi.

1 thing to ask before you go any further !

What Version of Firmware are you running on the E-01 ? Has it been updated at all since you purchased it ...

Beastlee
06-03-2008, 09:30 AM
I can't remember what the software version is but he centre and display units both claim 1.15 which is higher than anything listed at Mohdparts.

Beastlee
13-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Glenn it's 1.15, 1.15, 1.48

I'm suffering fuel cut occasionally at 42, 20, 7.5. Average peak is about 12.6psi.

I reckon I need to lower the settings slightly and start accounting for the drop off in the RPM settings.

Wodjno
13-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Glenn it's 1.15, 1.15, 1.48

I'm suffering fuel cut occasionally at 42, 20, 7.5. Average peak is about 12.6psi.

I reckon I need to lower the settings slightly and start accounting for the drop off in the RPM settings.
Yes possibly you do.. What gear are you getting fuel cut in ? Or are you getting it in Multiple gears and is it at specific revs.. ie.. Higher gears and lower revs ?

Beastlee
13-03-2008, 09:03 PM
It's in 2nd/3rd so far. I've not had too much opportunity to really open it up in 4th and 5th due to busy roads. The only time they're quiet enough is when I'm fast asleep in bed.
I find the most annoying thing is that I can't easily transfer the log to the PC to display. I'd like to set up a camera to record it but that includes more buttons and distractions.

timiano
20-03-2008, 01:51 AM
Had chance to have a little play tonight. I moved the metrics to Bar from PSI, as I now have a Deffi that measures Bar - keeping it consistent and all.

Settings I've left it at were Set 45, Gain 17, Start 0.82 Bar (11.9psi).

This is giving me a nice amount of boost with zero hesitation. It peaks at just under 1bar when it surges, and settles down to about 0.9. It fades off to about 0.8 as you get up the rev range. When I heat peak, it dips slightly below the base boost level, a bit like a wave, and then all is good. So I think I need to increase the gain a little.

At Gain 20, I start to get the hesitation. Again, it doesn't feel like fuel cut as to what people have described it, more hesitation. I've not had chance to look at the pump filter, so it'll have to stay as is for now - if that is the restriction. We'll see.

Either way, I'm happy, and will enjoy a little bit of playing on the way to Germany tomorrow.

Tim

Beastlee
20-03-2008, 07:56 AM
Tim, where in Germany are you heading to?

Mine seems happy with the settings above (42/20/0.75) and all I need to do now is start tweaking the RPM adjust. Yesterday I did a rolling run in 4th and the graph was almost perfect, I'll post pictures of it later. I was logging with Evoscan too and at WOT in 4th and 5th I had a maximum of 2.5 knock and AFRs down to 9.8.

timiano
20-03-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm driving over to the Eifel for the yearly pilgrimage to the Ring. Looks a bit snowy though :)

I have no idea what you are on about with your knocks and AFRs. Well sort of, but I wouldn't know what is good or bad -I think. Isn't 9.8 running really rich?

Tim

Wodjno
20-03-2008, 12:46 PM
AFRs down to 9.8.

Sounds like time you got you fuel sorted :D

The difference it will make, will be like running 12psi boost.. But actually still running standard boost ;) And the Midrange Torque increase is good to /yes

Lee.. Are you going down to the ring ? It's only an hour away from you.. Plenty VR4 peeps down there this weekend !

Beastlee
20-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Aaargh, it's this weekend? I may come down but not on the track.

Is anyone going down the 61? We are literally right next to it just by the crossing with the 52.

How do I sort the AFRs?

Wodjno
20-03-2008, 01:08 PM
How do I sort the AFRs?

I thought you were going to fit an EMU ? or EMB ??

Beastlee
20-03-2008, 01:21 PM
I'm looking at the e-manage to link in but until this lot was sorted and I could get a definite recommendation I was holding out.
What would you advise I went for? I have had a quote from mohdparts of £200 for the e-manage blue but if there's something better that you could recommend I'll look into it.
I was going to look at an new fuel pump too, will this help?

Wodjno
20-03-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm looking at the e-manage to link in but until this lot was sorted and I could get a definite recommendation I was holding out.
What would you advise I went for? I have had a quote from mohdparts of £200 for the e-manage blue but if there's something better that you could recommend I'll look into it.
I was going to look at an new fuel pump too, will this help?

The Beauty of the Blue is that it will link to the E-01.. So you can tune and log your EMB straight from your E-01 without the need of a Laptop.. You can still use a Laptop, but you don't have to have 1 connected to have a dabble :D

The EMU has a lot more features but cannot link via the E-01.

An uprated pump and FPR will ensure you get enough fuel with your upgrades. But won't give you an actual power increase, unless the pump your using is faulty.. But looking at the AFR's you posted i think your pump is working OK /yes

Beastlee
20-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Will I need the extra EMU features, not going stupid with the mods will be exhaust and induction of some sort but not much else? Laptop link isn't a problem as i am looking at fitting a carputer type unit but have my laptop handy for evoscan anyway.

Oh and is a knockl count of 2.5 still safe? Obviously I'd like it to be zero but I doubt that would be possible.

Turbo_Steve
26-03-2008, 01:44 AM
Lee, if you're spending that much I'd go for the EMU, which will allow you to control ignition timings as well, unlocking power, smoothing the drive and possibly improving economy (if you're lucky!). You can even correct the partial throttle enrichment, control extras etc etc

Turbo_Steve
26-03-2008, 01:45 AM
Just noticed, funnily enough, Wodj has one for sale! :)

Beastlee
26-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Steve, I was asking Glenn about his yesterday. I'm looking at £205 for the blue with all the extra harnesses and delivery to my door in Germany. Glenn's is £265 for the base unit and harness delivered then I'd also need the additional harnesses. I'm not sure which offers the best solution to what I want right now as the blue offers compatibility with my E-01 but the EMU does more. My only other concern is that the EMU would tempt me to play with too many aspects of the car.
I'm so befuddled right now. In reality all I am aiming for in the short term is to sort the AFRs as for the long term.....come on RPW sort those downpipes ;)

Wodjno
26-03-2008, 09:28 AM
The EMB will have more than enough features to tempt you to play with things you shouldn't /yes
Like I said in other thread, if you just wanna sort fuelling, then all you need is a Fuel Controller.(Apexi AFC)

Turbo_Steve
26-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Fair enough: I didn't appreciate the price difference was quite that much: In thos ecircumstances I'd go for the EMB as Wodj suggests.
It's still a powerful piece of kit, and if you're not really planning to go significantly further with your power output then the EMB will be excellent. In all honesty, it'd probably suffice all the way up to a monster build, but you reach a point where you can get more with further adjustment.

Butting out now :)

Beastlee
26-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Steve, all input is welcome. In reality I will only be planning a new exhaust, FMIC and air intake if suitable. I reckon the EMB will be pretty capable for that purpose so I thik I'll go down that route.

Wodjno
26-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Steve, all input is welcome. In reality I will only be planning a new exhaust, FMIC and air intake if suitable. I reckon the EMB will be pretty capable for that purpose so I thik I'll go down that route.

If all you want to sort is the fuelling.. The an Apexi will Suffice... :happy:

Beastlee
26-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Yeah but the Apexi is more than the EMB so why would I want to do that?

Wodjno
26-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Yeah but the Apexi is more than the EMB so why would I want to do that?

Firstly.. There actually cheaper than a EMB... /yes

Secondly... So you can't dabble with things you don't really want to :D

Beastlee
26-03-2008, 07:13 PM
You make some good points..... I really still don't know what to do.

The Neo's are a little OTT for me really, the EMB would hide away nicely and does offer future modability. I really think this will be the best route for me and £205 delivered is a bargain.

Thanks for the info Glenn. Could you now talk me through the RPM settings on the E-01 ;)

Wodjno
26-03-2008, 07:20 PM
You make some good points..... I really still don't know what to do.

The Neo's are a little OTT for me really, the EMB would hide away nicely and does offer future modability. I really think this will be the best route for me and £205 delivered is a bargain.

Thanks for the info Glenn. Could you now talk me through the RPM settings on the E-01 ;)

I think you make the right choice.. As you already have the E-01 and the EMB links direct, and there are plenty features for you to be going on with on the EMB.. At a later date if you decide to upgrade to the EMU, then it's as easy as adding 1 extra harness and off you go..

RPM offset :) My Pleasure :D

Whats your latest log from the E-01 :inquisiti

Beastlee
26-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Dammn, cleared that earlier then didn't get a good run. It's peaking in the mid 13psi points and is fairly steady through the range. I'll do another run tomorrow and make sure I have a good stretch to get the full 4th gear.

I have to say I am actually feeling that the car is down on power despite the good boost levels. I floored it in second onto the 52 today and it wasn't accelerating much faster than the Astra in front of me. Shifiting into 3rd seemed to improve things but I still wasn't overly happy. Perhaps I was just out of puff on the blowers in second. I must find a 4wd dyno here to get it tested.

Wodjno
26-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Dammn, cleared that earlier then didn't get a good run. It's peaking in the mid 13psi points and is fairly steady through the range. I'll do another run tomorrow and make sure I have a good stretch to get the full 4th gear.

I have to say I am actually feeling that the car is down on power despite the good boost levels. I floored it in second onto the 52 today and it wasn't accelerating much faster than the Astra in front of me. Shifiting into 3rd seemed to improve things but I still wasn't overly happy. Perhaps I was just out of puff on the blowers in second. I must find a 4wd dyno here to get it tested.

No faster than an Astra ?

What Astra was it ?? Quad Turbo /pan

Beastlee
26-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Yeah thanks for the support /pan

It was a new one and had been super slow up until this point, in fact it nearly went off the road a few seconds before. I think it was a 1.9 CDTI which are pretty quick at the power band. I've had the same sort of issues with the new TDCI S-Max but please bear in mind I am still faster, it just doesn't seem to be that much faster.

Beastlee
01-04-2008, 01:24 PM
OK, managed a good log in 4th but not quite to the limiter, will add a pic of the graph when I get home.
Good level boost without the RPM offset so far and pulls all the way to 6.5k+ 4th gear all the way to almost 140 on the dash.

I'm now suffering a little fuel cut when WOT in 3rd though, just an inital cut at about 3k and then it's fine. The peak seems to be about 13.7psi each time but it doesn't do it any other time and no cut in 4th or 5th since the very cold weather a month ago.

oh and I think my economy is now about 12mpg average but that may be due tot eh constant WOT in 4th and 5th whenever we go places. I sit at around 100-110 on the autobahns for long stints.

timiano
01-04-2008, 01:52 PM
I had a play with a brand spanking BMW M3 on an Autobahn last week. He floored it, so did I, and errrr,...he got absolutely nowhere, all the way up to 135mph. He slowed down, had a look at the estate that had humbled him and toddled off gingerly.

I was quite suprised how we kept up. If anything we were gaining a couple of inches.

That's holding at 0.8 bar (11.6psi) from start to finish. Will have to squeeze that extra 0.1-0.2 out of it, if the whizzers will take it :)

Beastlee
01-04-2008, 02:01 PM
I was trying to get behind one yesterday on the way home but some Golf CL got in the way and sat in the outside lane.

I have so much fun pulling out of the slip roads and outrunning cars already on the autobahn behind me. They eventually catch up at the slower traffic and look at the car trying to work it out... LOL

Beastlee
17-04-2008, 02:59 PM
OK, setup still running sweet, no fuel cut and some peaks at the shift points, only to the mid 13psi range.

eManage turned up today with an injector and pressure harness. I say it turned up today, it turned up in customs on Saturday...show my British ID card today and got told as long as it was under 200 Euros I didn't need to get the customs forms from the local UK C&I guys. I walked out with a smile on my face.

So all I need to do this weekend is work out how to install it....Glenn, any advice? I'll read up on the instructions tonight and make sure I fully understand what is required of me.

Wodjno
17-04-2008, 07:46 PM
OK, setup still running sweet, no fuel cut and some peaks at the shift points, only to the mid 13psi range.

eManage turned up today with an injector and pressure harness. I say it turned up today, it turned up in customs on Saturday...show my British ID card today and got told as long as it was under 200 Euros I didn't need to get the customs forms from the local UK C&I guys. I walked out with a smile on my face.

So all I need to do this weekend is work out how to install it....Glenn, any advice? I'll read up on the instructions tonight and make sure I fully understand what is required of me.

Have you got a seperate harness to splice into ?

Or are you splicing into the existing harness ?

I would sugest getting a splice harness.. It may cost upwards of £80, but will make installation and de-installation a sight easier /yes

I did it the hard way :D

Beastlee
17-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Now you advise it! If I'd known that I'd have ordered one at the time. I was plannig on installing this weekend so I either have to do it the hard way or not fit it for about 2 months.....
I didn't realise how many wires were in the injector harness!

Wodjno
17-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Now you advise it! If I'd known that I'd have ordered one at the time. I was plannig on installing this weekend so I either have to do it the hard way or not fit it for about 2 months.....
I didn't realise how many wires were in the injector harness!

6 injectors = 6 wires to ecu and 6 wires to injectors.. is 12 for starters :D

Beastlee
17-04-2008, 08:38 PM
so it splices, that makes sense and it's also sort of easier to wire in to the exisiting loom. I can't fathom the wiring diagram that came with it, it's Jap, but I can only find wires for 4 injection lines, not 6. There's only 9 wires in the loom....

Wodjno
17-04-2008, 09:03 PM
so it splices, that makes sense and it's also sort of easier to wire in to the exisiting loom. I can't fathom the wiring diagram that came with it, it's Jap, but I can only find wires for 4 injection lines, not 6. There's only 9 wires in the loom....

Doh.. :inquisiti

Just remembered you only got the EMB not the EMU /pan

If all you doing for now is the fueling :thinking: Then i wouldn't bother with the Injector Harness.

Beastlee
17-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Ok, I got it because Mohd recommended it. That's a lot less wiring but now I'm miffed I paid £16 for it. It's less wiring this time round but I'm wondering if I want to do two lots of installs.
I'll be fitting the alarm system over the weekend too so it'll be most of the underside of the dash out.

Beastlee
19-04-2008, 11:08 AM
I've decided to fit the wiring anyway rather than keep flexing the loom in and out of the centre console, it is old cabling after all.

Next question, can I use the jumper and switch settings for a GTO 6A13 engine on the VR4 or are there a separate set for our cars?

Beastlee
20-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Ok, it's in and the injector loom is fitted too. I have the TPS wire fitted and I also have the pressure harness linking to the E-01 alongside the USB cable. All powered up OK and the engine starts and runs, all without any errors being reported.
I've fired up the E-01 for managing the e-manage but I haven't a clue what to do next. There's a whole ream of options but the manual doesn't tell you what to do with them and there's no data loaded. I'm assuming that until I tell it what I want from it I can carry on as if it was never there?
Eagerly awaiting info on programming it up.

Wodjno
20-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Ok, it's in and the injector loom is fitted too. I have the TPS wire fitted and I also have the pressure harness linking to the E-01 alongside the USB cable. All powered up OK and the engine starts and runs, all without any errors being reported.
I've fired up the E-01 for managing the e-manage but I haven't a clue what to do next. There's a whole ream of options but the manual doesn't tell you what to do with them and there's no data loaded. I'm assuming that until I tell it what I want from it I can carry on as if it was never there?
Eagerly awaiting info on programming it up.

Excellent work so far then /yes

I take it you have set the parameters for your specific car ?

ie.. Engine Code: 6a13
# of Cylinders : 6
Engine Size : 2500
Air Meter : Karman
Air Meter Spec : MT_KR-2
Vehicle Speed Pulse : 4

If you have throttle sensor wire connected also ?

You need ththis setting to Normal in the Throttle Tab.. (rising voltage throttle)

if all that is as is .. Then your car should perform as normal /yes

Not until you start selecting Maps and uploading to EMB will anything alter..

And please do not alter anything on the move.. :speechles

We don't want anything going bang /pan

Beastlee
20-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Erm, where do I see those options, not on the Profec E-01 anywhere.

I set the three dials to 6 8 4 as per 6A13 for a GTO and other Mitsi settings I found. The manual said that was all I needed to do on the main unit. I only get the 1. PARAMETERS page on the Profec unit which lets me select the type of AF meter (Karmann 2). Were you thinking of the EMU or the support tool? I have no support tool, only the Profec.

EDIT: OK I have set the Meter type and the engine size (2498cc) , I guess the 4 is set via the dial and the only thing I can't enter is the specific engine type. I can confimr the latest software (1.49) on the EMB too. Normal throttle selected and calibrated :)

I won't change anything unless I'm sat safely on the drive.

Wodjno
20-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Erm, where do I see those options, not on the Profec E-01 anywhere.

I set the three dials to 6 8 4 as per 6A13 for a GTO and other Mitsi settings I found. The manual said that was all I needed to do on the main unit. I only get the 1. PARAMETERS page on the Profec unit which lets me select the type of AF meter (Karmann 2). Were you thinking of the EMU or the support tool? I have no support tool, only the Profec.

EDIT: OK I have set the Meter type and the engine size (2498cc) , I guess the 4 is set via the dial and the only thing I can't enter is the specific engine type. I can confimr the latest software (1.49) on the EMB too. Normal throttle selected and calibrated :)

I won't change anything unless I'm sat safely on the drive.

So can you connect a laptop to the emb at all ??

Beastlee
20-04-2008, 08:42 PM
The Beauty of the Blue is that it will link to the E-01.. So you can tune and log your EMB straight from your E-01 without the need of a Laptop.. You can still use a Laptop, but you don't have to have 1 connected to have a dabble

I asked Mohd if I needed the support tool as well and he said no, so I never ordered one. I really don't want to have to wait another two weeks to start programing it. I've seen info about making a cable from a Nokia one and I can get the software from the emanage group, this will still take a week.

Wodjno
20-04-2008, 08:54 PM
I asked Mohd if I needed the support tool as well and he said no, so I never ordered one. I really don't want to have to wait another two weeks to start programing it. I've seen info about making a cable from a Nokia one and I can get the software from the emanage group, this will still take a week.

You don't need to have the support tool to map the EMB via the E-01..
And by the sounds of it you have got all the parameters set into the EMB now ..

All you need to do now is some logging of your AFRs..

And then start leaning out your mixture via the Airlflow Map at WOT...

Tis as simple as that :scholar:

Just be very careful with your input on the Airflow MAP.. Check, Check and Triple check your data in each cell before you upload and run your car..
Small increment adjustments at a time is best, until you get familiar with the way it works..

This is the sort of Map your looking for.. It won't be exactly the same as this is my specific 1 for my car for the EMU...

uploaded/450/1208722380.jpg

Beastlee
21-04-2008, 07:20 AM
Sorry next numpty question. Am I supposed to be logging the current ones from something like Evoscan or can the emanage learn from my driving? If so is there a specific process I need to follow?

I really do apologise for being a pain with this. Once I know how to do something though I am able to do it again in future without any hassle.

Wodjno
21-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Sorry next numpty question. Am I supposed to be logging the current ones from something like Evoscan or can the emanage learn from my driving? If so is there a specific process I need to follow?

I really do apologise for being a pain with this. Once I know how to do something though I am able to do it again in future without any hassle.

You need to Log your AFR's, RPM and Throttle position..

Not sure on the limitations of the EMB..

Does it have Map trace facility ?

Otherwise use your EVOSCAN ..

What wideband are you using ?

Beastlee
21-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Evoscan it is, no wideband installed at all. Not likely either for at least 6 months.

Wodjno
21-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Evoscan it is, no wideband installed at all. Not likely either for at least 6 months.

So EVOSCAN can log all your AFR's without wideband ?

Beastlee
21-04-2008, 11:03 AM
It only logs what the ECU tells it is the AFR. I can't actually measure the real AFR.

Wodjno
21-04-2008, 11:12 AM
It only logs what the ECU tells it is the AFR. I can't actually measure the real AFR.

??

Bit confused now ?? If it measures what the ECU is reading ? Which is AFR, then isn't that measuring the AFR ?

The 02 sensor on the VR4 is only narrowband and not read the increments of AFR that you need to LOG and tune your fuelling !

Can you show what the EVOSCAN is actually showing or logging when at WOT ..

Beastlee
21-04-2008, 11:24 AM
There is an entry in the Evoscan is for the AFR map or the narrowband result of the AFR. I don't know enough about it to be able to tell you more. I can provide an excel log from the run the other week once I get on the laptop in a bit.
I guess I've wasted my money as I won't be fitting a wideband to the car any time in the next 6 months or more.

Wodjno
21-04-2008, 11:34 AM
There is an entry in the Evoscan is for the AFR map or the narrowband result of the AFR. I don't know enough about it to be able to tell you more. I can provide an excel log from the run the other week once I get on the laptop in a bit.
I guess I've wasted my money as I won't be fitting a wideband to the car any time in the next 6 months or more.

A narrowand won't give you the data you require for accurate tuning..
You haven't wasted your money.. You have the kit you want, you just gotta add a bit more.. Widebands ain't expensive.. It's seems a shame to come to a halt now when u got this far !

Beastlee
21-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Unfortunately I could only afford the EMB as Heidi bought it as a present with what she had left in the car savings fund. The only funds we have left are for replacement tyres which need doing soon.
The issue with the wideband is which to go for with the EMB and how to get it fitted. I don't have access to the proper kit to change it which is more expense again.
I've looked up on the LC-1 which seems right for me but it's just a step too far right now.

Wodjno
21-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Unfortunately I could only afford the EMB as Heidi bought it as a present with what she had left in the car savings fund. The only funds we have left are for replacement tyres which need doing soon.
The issue with the wideband is which to go for with the EMB and how to get it fitted. I don't have access to the proper kit to change it which is more expense again.
I've looked up on the LC-1 which seems right for me but it's just a step too far right now.

When you say change it ? Do you mean replace the Narrow band with the Wideband ?

I have mounted mine as well as the oe sensor.. So the oe 1 does it's thing and the wideband is for montoring and logging..
Fitting is just getting the bung welded into the exhaust, a arage would have it done in 20-30mins..
Understand about cost though.. Belts are been tightened all round at the min :thinking:

Beastlee
21-04-2008, 02:10 PM
There's not a hope of getting a garage round here to do that sort of work for me. I will have to swap sensors, which in itself is not a bad thing I suppose. I can use the additional outputs to send the analogue signals to the ECU as well.

Wodjno
21-04-2008, 03:48 PM
There's not a hope of getting a garage round here to do that sort of work for me.

No one with a welder ? :speechles

Beastlee
21-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Perhaps but I don't know anyone with one and the motor club banned them as the building is made of wood.

Beastlee
22-04-2008, 08:29 PM
OK, so i found something the emanage is good for....it allows me to log more than just the RPM and boost pressure! I'm attaching a few pics of the 4th gear run I did last night at midnight.
At the start
uploaded/4273/1208890936.jpg

3000RPM
uploaded/4273/1208891881.jpg

4000RPM
uploaded/4273/1208891920.jpg

5000RPM
uploaded/4273/1208892038.jpg

6000RPM
uploaded/4273/1208892093.jpg

6500RPM
uploaded/4273/1208892149.jpg

7000RPM
uploaded/4273/1208892240.jpg

It seemed to take ages to go through the top RPM and I ended up halting the run just before the limiter. The road had started to curve and I wasn't happy at that sort of speed to be pushing it. It was scary enough passing an 80km/h truck at 180km/h and still accelerating.

Odd blip at 3150 where it stepped up then back down... Looks like I need to add a little RPM offset at the higher levels as it does drop, I think it's after 4000RPM though. I think it's a cracking graph otherwise!

I can also log the AF Input which is read in Hz and there's a few other aspects that can be show now.

Sorry for the monster post.

Beastlee
22-04-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm also looking at the LC-1, have confirmed nobody on camp willing to add another bung. If I can replace the existing sensor without issues I will do it, keeping hold of the old 02 sensor just in case.

Wodjno
23-04-2008, 01:49 PM
OK, so i found something the emanage is good for....it allows me to log more than just the RPM and boost pressure! I'm attaching a few pics of the 4th gear run I did last night at midnight.
At the start
uploaded/4273/1208890936.jpg

3000RPM
uploaded/4273/1208891881.jpg

4000RPM
uploaded/4273/1208891920.jpg

5000RPM
uploaded/4273/1208892038.jpg

6000RPM
uploaded/4273/1208892093.jpg

6500RPM
uploaded/4273/1208892149.jpg

7000RPM
uploaded/4273/1208892240.jpg

It seemed to take ages to go through the top RPM and I ended up halting the run just before the limiter. The road had started to curve and I wasn't happy at that sort of speed to be pushing it. It was scary enough passing an 80km/h truck at 180km/h and still accelerating.

Odd blip at 3150 where it stepped up then back down... Looks like I need to add a little RPM offset at the higher levels as it does drop, I think it's after 4000RPM though. I think it's a cracking graph otherwise!

I can also log the AF Input which is read in Hz and there's a few other aspects that can be show now.

Sorry for the monster post.

You can log that via the E-01 without the E-manage.... Using the additional External Signal Harness /pan

Beastlee
23-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Yeah I used the harness to get the speed pulse. The EMB is providing TPS and all the other loggable data except ignition. What do you think of the run?

Wodjno
23-04-2008, 06:52 PM
wHATS THE mEGA wIGGLY LINE ? iS THAT bOOST ?

Beastlee
23-04-2008, 08:08 PM
No that's the speed. For someo reason it jumps up and down something stupid. Very annoying if you try to use it as a guage for the speed. I'm guessing it's an analogue signal but I have it as a pulse as I thought it was from a sensor that pulses on every revolution.

Wodjno
23-04-2008, 08:25 PM
I ain't got no fancy pics like you :(

Here's a log of mine from a couple of years ago :thinking:

No speed .. Just a run in 3rd gear.. I used to log it like this so i could analyse the data more accurately..

AFR RPM PSi

14.48 2370 0.0
14.45 2400 0.3
14.39 2430 0.6
14.21 2460 0.9
14.12 2500 1.9
14.27 2560 2.5
13.70 2610 3.6
13.34 2700 4.4
13.25 2750 5.3
13.31 2820 6.5
13.01 2880 7.5
13.01 2970 8.6
12.95 3040 9.7
12.89 3110 10.8
12.80 3170 12.0
12.59 3230 13.1
12.26 3320 14.2
12.20 3390 15.1
12.02 3440 15.8
12.17 3490 16.1
11.93 3540 16.0
12.08 3560 16.2
12.05 3600 16.6
12.02 3620 16.5
12.23 3670 16.2
12.20 3700 16.4
12.05 3740 16.5
12.14 3780 16.5
12.08 3810 16.3
12.20 3840 16.2
12.11 3880 16.4
12.20 3900 16.4
12.14 3940 16.6
12.23 3990 16.5
12.11 4040 16.4
12.20 4080 16.4
12.26 4120 16.6
12.26 4200 16.4
12.10 4210 16.3
12.05 4260 16.4
11.96 4290 16.6
11.93 4340 16.5
11.87 4390 16.4
11.90 4420 16.1
11.74 4480 16.1
11.80 4520 16.1
11.71 4560 16.1
11.77 4590 15.9
11.80 4650 15.8
11.71 4690 15.8
11.68 4740 15.7
11.70 4760 15.7
11.65 4810 15.6
11.65 4860 15.5
11.53 4900 15.3
11.59 4920 15.2
11.47 4950 15.1
11.47 5000 15.1
11.50 5040 15.1
11.56 5100 15.0
11.50 5130 14.9
11.44 5160 14.8
11.50 5170 14.8
11.38 5240 14.6
11.41 5260 14.5
11.38 5290 14.5
11.26 5320 14.2
11.59 5360 14.3
11.41 5390 14.0
11.53 5430 13.9
11.29 5460 13.8
11.41 5500 13.8
11.47 5530 13.5
11.53 5550 13.5
11.65 5610 13.4
11.38 5260 13.3
11.56 5670 13.3
11.62 5720 13.2
11.56 5730 13.1
11.41 5750 13.0
11.53 5810 12.9
11.53 5840 12.9
11.56 5870 12.9
11.62 5910 12.9
11.71 5920 12.9
11.62 5950 12.9
11.74 5990 12.9
11.65 6010 13.0
11.68 6040 13.1
11.59 6070 13.1
11.74 6110 13.3
11.87 6150 13.4
11.77 6160 13.4
11.74 6200 13.4
11.59 6210 13.5
11.83 6250 13.5
11.71 6280 13.6
11.56 6310 13.5
11.68 6340 13.5
11.65 6360 13.5
11.68 6400 13.4
11.65 6440 13.4
11.71 6440 13.4
11.77 6480 13.4
11.65 6480 13.3
11.38 6530 13.2
11.68 6570 13.2
11.29 6560 13.1
11.56 6610 13.1
11.59 6620 13.0
11.62 6660 12.9
11.41 6680 12.9
11.53 6730 12.9
11.65 6740 12.9
11.62 6760 12.9
11.56 6770 12.8
11.56 6800 12.9
11.71 6840 12.9
11.77 6850 12.8
11.26 6810 8.6
11.59 6570 -1.9
14.88 6330 -8.0

Beastlee
23-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Wow, my AFRs are being shown by Evoscan as down at 9.85 in 4th throughout the higher range.

I take it the last 3 you had let off the throttle?

Can you talk me through how I should tweak the RPM offset please.

Dammn, just noticed you have a peak of 16.6psi. What mods were you running for that?

Wodjno
23-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Well it looks like your boost starts dropping off from 4200rpm ?
But as you not running very high boost(around 11.8psi)(u can see from my log, i'm running 16.4psi at 4200rpm)the drop of isn't actually that much!(only around 1psi)

Thats the point where you have to start tweaking the RPM OFFSET /yes..

Give me 1/2 hour and i'll explain..

I gotta get outta the bath now :D

Beastlee
23-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Now there's an image I didn't need /haz

As I'm an hour ahead it's bed time for me. Please explain away I'll check it all out tomorrow.

You're running more boost at the low points than I was expecting to run at the highs! What mods have you made to run that? Once I get the LC-1 I am planning stainless downpipes, if RPW ever get them sorted, and probably a panel filter.

Wodjno
23-04-2008, 09:01 PM
You're running more boost at the low points than I was expecting to run at the highs! What mods have you made to run that?

Take a look in my Garage /pan

And Bedtime at 10pm :thinking:

Wodjno
24-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Sorry.. Got side tracked :scholar:

Right! Now if your Boost is dropping off at 4200rpm. Thats the figure you need to input as the RPM OFFSET start value... You will see 8 RPM OFFSET points.. Now you need to input the rest of the RPM points at which you want to increase the the Duty Cycle at, so as to hold the boost more level. So you got approx 3000rpm left before redline.. If you input RPM points increasing by 400rpm at each point, this will make the last point 7000rpm! I think 7000rpm is a little high to still be trying to maintain maximum boost. So i would increase the last 3 rpm points by 300rpm each giving a last RPM point of 6700rpm.

Now you need to input the increase in duty cycle in the last column.. This is just a input and test method.. Input say 20% extra duty cycle at all your rpm points.. Then take car for a run to log the change in how the boost holds up.. Try to do the run from same speed in same gear, to get consistency.. 3rds a good gear for this as it doesnt take you to silly speeds and you can achieve a full run within a fairly short distance..

Good Luck :D

Wodjno
24-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Oh Yeah .. And as Mark 4 posted earlier.. You can use the RPM OFFSET to help smooth out any spikes you have by decreasing the duty cycle at the said RPM point.. /yes

Beastlee
24-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Ok, have set it up as you say and set allt o 20% for now. Will fill up alter and give it a run. Just a side note that the temperatures are 15-22 degrees right now so it's also warmer than when I first set it up.

Beastlee
24-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Oooopssss. I floored it, forgetting I had tweaked the settings to +20% and hit 15.4psi in first.....but no cut which leaves me wondering...:inquisiti:

Wodjno
24-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Oooopssss. I floored it, forgetting I had tweaked the settings to +20% and hit 15.4psi in first.....but no cut which leaves me wondering...:inquisiti:

At what RPM ??

Beastlee
25-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Not sure but it was somewhere beetween 4200 and 6700 ;)

Wodjno
25-04-2008, 07:22 AM
Not sure but it was somewhere beetween 4200 and 6700 ;)

So thats good then :D

Maybe it's time to up the boost /yes

Looks like your car has accepted your EBC ;)

Beastlee
25-04-2008, 07:27 AM
That was in 1st though, not the higher gears with the extra load. I may consider it later once it's levelled. Can the standard car handle 15psi without issues?

I'm off to work now and will do a run on the way home. I'll actually log it and see what it looks like in 3rd, I'll not get a chance in 4th.

Wodjno
25-04-2008, 07:36 AM
That was in 1st though, not the higher gears with the extra load. I may consider it later once it's levelled. Can the standard car handle 15psi without issues?

I'm off to work now and will do a run on the way home. I'll actually log it and see what it looks like in 3rd, I'll not get a chance in 4th.

What do you mean by standard car ?

3rd will be fine now u got a reasonable curve /yes

Beastlee
25-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Ok, I switched off the RPM offset and upped the SET to 45 (from 42) but immediately got fuel cut in 3rd. I have now gone back to 42 and will start tweaking the RPM offset.

Standard as in nothing but an EBC..

Beastlee
30-07-2008, 08:30 PM
LC-1 has arrived but I don't have a serial port on any of the laptops which is a pain. Will be fitting a de-cat as well,once it arrives.

Mark 4
30-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Lee, get a USB to serial cable. It will come with a driver on disc.

Beastlee
31-07-2008, 06:50 AM
Yeah, was looking at them last night. I'm just wondering which to go for as the Innovate forums mention that some cause problems with the LC-1. I'm banned form buying anything so it would have to be a cheapish one.

Beastlee
08-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Can't believe how long ago I started this thread and I'm still waiting to complete the setup. I have an LC-1 and a USB cable now but I am waiting on the RPW downpipes to come over from Peter before fitting. Will put the LC-1 in the new pipe and fit them together.
Car now has the new FMIC and an HKS Super Hybrid filter installed so the downpipes and eventually an exhaust, de-catted, are all that is left.
Car is currently on 42/23/0.78 and I still get a little bit of fuel cut. I have a max of 15psi boost but it still tens to be only 12psi. I still want to get the boost up higher without the fuel cut, surely it must be possible with the current setup?

Turbo_Steve
09-06-2009, 07:41 AM
IF you're getting fuel cut, it's down to your MAF & your ECU. Nothing else.
If the boost is too "peaky" then you're going to run into fuel cut. Someone recently published the Fuel cut table somewhere...have a search: should help you identify what load targets to use at what RPM.

Essentially, though, the simplest way around fuel cut is a piggyback, standalone or remap.

Beastlee
09-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Steve, these days it's not so peaky as it was. I really need to spend some time doing proper data logging on it and tweaking it in stages. Unfortunantely nobody here is interested in motors so I have to spend the time on my own and it's not as much fun, hence it gets left for another day.

Beastlee
28-07-2009, 09:25 AM
OK, I was looking into how I hook up the LC-1 to the e-manage blue.....I can't if I have a Profec-E01 connected as it uses the boost port! I will have to connect it to an analogue input on the additional harness but the e-manage won't officially record it as AFR so it won't generate a graph for me.

I also wanted to point out that mohdparts.com is no more so finding e-manage stuff may be a little difficult now.

Mark 4
28-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Lee, I saw that MOHD had disappeared a while ago. I started an EMU support thread. Just wondering if a mod could chenge the title to just emanage support thread and we can post all our findings in there.

Mark 4
28-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Oops, just checked and the thread title is emanage support thread already.

Beastlee
27-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Sorry about the crap quality of the below vid, I recorded it on my iPhone which then rotated it on upload to YouTube. Should show a pretty good curve with Set = 40, Gain =33, Start = 9. No fuel cut throughout 4th gear and I had to cut it short as I didn't like being less than 10m from the car in front at 200km/h! Ambient temp was about 27deg though and this morning in the colder air (17deg) it cut quite badly on me :(

http://www.youtube.com/v/oPbDdAm09c0&hl=en&fs=1

pezza
27-08-2009, 10:19 AM
A session at castle combe? :huh2:

Beastlee
27-08-2009, 10:32 AM
At least we see the same thing LOL

Will edit it to just link to correct vid on youtube.

Wodjno
27-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Did you record it onto the e-01 sd card ? The whole run should fit on the screen. take a pic of the paused scren and post it up or send it to me on 07734 731 299.

So the setting worked fairly well at 27 degrees. Keep that in your Hi Boost setting. Then in the Low setting Drop the Set by 3 points. Use the Hi setting for warm weather. And lg a run on the low setting when the airs nice and cold again /yes.
And don't forget to record it on the e-01 sd card. Playback and take pick of screen and post it up.

Cheers

Wodj :D

Beastlee
27-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Yeah,that was playback from the card. It didn't qute fit all on at once and the above vid was just a quick snap on my iPhone before I went out for beer.
Will snap some useful pics for you in a bit. It was nice and smooth with only a small drop across the run.

Beastlee
27-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Yesterday's run.

uploaded/4273/1251388730.jpguploaded/4273/1251389039.jpg
uploaded/4273/1251389236.jpguploaded/4273/1251389613.jpg

I have a 150mb video of my drive home today,ambient 27deg again, that I'm going to convert and add to YouTube, it doesn't really show much but if you watch it I floored it as I came out of camp and got 3 lots of fuel cut. I'm going to drop the gain a little again but I was geting bad fuel cut with anything more than 40/18/7.8 so I can't see that the new figures will allow it to run without cut as they are higher.

Wodjno
27-08-2009, 06:32 PM
But at what boost levvel did it cut ?

You've dropped the gain not the set. Drop the set by 3 and leave the gain where it was when you had the good steady boost run !

Beastlee
27-08-2009, 08:11 PM
That is the good run and I'm still on the same figures. Willdrop the set a couple then but need to buy fuel first.

Sorry, to clarify: The run shown in the pics/vid was the good one in 4th yesterday. It didn't cut at all and I was WOT the whole time.
Today with the same settings and ambient temp it cut at about 12psi after a second or so and then kept doing it if I continued to press on.

once I buy some petrol tomorrow I can do more runs at the weekend. I also intend on fitting the LC-1 on Saturday come rain or shine.

Beastlee
29-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Well I tried to fit the LC-1 today but as soon as I found the connector for the o2 sensor it was clear I had managed to solder the wrong connector to the end of my wiring. Now need to get the right connector before I can fit it.

On a side note I think 38/33/9.0 seems to be stable. I'm off up the A52 tomorrow to help a friend with their newly aquired Galant Estae Elegance so I'll thake the opportunity to do a couple of logged runs.

Beastlee
30-08-2009, 02:26 PM
OK Glenn, I got a couple of fantastic runs in today going to check the V6. The following was with Set 36, Gain 33, Start 9.0 which gives me no fuel cut at any time but barely reaches 12psi except for the odd peak(Car feels quick though). Ambient temp was 26deg and I still have the RPM offset switched off. Car was nice and warm from a similar run on the way there about 40mins before.

Start of run, I actually started in the slip road and there was a car alongside, already on the carriageway. Despite being in 4th I still got out safely in front of him.
uploaded/4273/1251634079.jpg

3K RPM Gives the initial peak at 11.8/11.9psi. I'd like to get this upped to nearer 14psi but so far fuel cut is prevelant at 12psi +
uploaded/4273/1251635416.jpg

At 4K you can see that the boost has crept up slightly to a steady 12psi.
uploaded/4273/1251636287.jpg

This next one shows a strange situation. My foot was planted to the floor but you can see that the revs must have dropped slightly and the boost drops quicker. I meant to get Evoscan going with this run but forgot, I wonder if it would have shown anything useful.
uploaded/4273/1251636693.jpg

5K and all is still OK, boost continues to peter off as expected.
uploaded/4273/1251637001.jpg

Another sudden drop occurs in the boost a this point, however, it will climb back up as we reach 6K. You see the RPM curve is starting to level out.
uploaded/4273/1251637382.jpg

6K and you can see there's a temporary lift in boost again.
uploaded/4273/1251638292.jpg

At 6.5K boost is still holding pretty well but the acceleration is petering out. Normally I would have shifted already. Yo can see the shift to 5th coming up.
uploaded/4273/1251638681.jpg

7K and it's time to shift, I felt a blip just after this that I thnk was an early rev limit.
uploaded/4273/1251639226.jpg

Shifiting to 5th brings the boost back up a little and I kept my foot to the floor.
uploaded/4273/1251639591.jpg

Finally I had to slow down, not before reaching my highest ever max speed. I should point out that this is not the straightest or smoothest of roads and whilst the car still feels very composed I don't like seeing AYC bars lighting at 145mph! There was still more to go but traffic always puts paid to it for me. I aim to break 150mph.
uploaded/4273/1251639873.jpg

I put my foot down later in 5th and it spiked to 13.9 but settled to 11.7 again.
uploaded/4273/1251640444.jpg

Sorry for the long post again, would be som much easier if I could just read the data from the card and plot a graph.

EDIT: Here's a YouTube video of the whole thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmEfKHw1VWE

Beastlee
30-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Here's a couple of pics for Brad, this is a 70-120km/h run you were asking about. It's about 4.9s as I see it although the Profec's speed reading isn't the most accurate. How does the figure rate given my mods? I'm still not sure how rapid the car really is.

uploaded/4273/1251648633.jpguploaded/4273/1251648733.jpg

demonslayer
03-09-2009, 09:35 PM
Hi there,
iam watching the thread.thankx Beastlee for showing me.
ia will run in those things in some months when my engine is ready :-)

Beastlee
08-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Where's Wodji? I made all this effort and he's buggered off.

Mark 4
08-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Where's Wodji? I made all this effort and he's buggered off.

Sounds about right /STP

Mark 4
08-09-2009, 05:28 PM
I've just read through and looked at the pics and I think that that is pretty impressive Lee. What you need to do now is use the rpm offset to increase boost slowly through the 4 to 5 k rpm points then let rip at 5500+ rpm's.

Beastlee
08-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Mark, I deliberately turned it back off for the run (as requested by Wodj) so we could see how the new figures worked. I'm up to 26/35/9.0 now and this gives me no issues.
I really need to do another run with those figures in but I'm starting to wonder if my issue is fuelling/spark related. I know the plugs are approx 2 years old and have done about 15000 miles but were changed as part of the Mitsi Service. I don't want to really go changing them but I probably need to bite the bullet and get some recommended plugs.

What do you mean with regard to 'let rip at 5500+'? As in just tweak the 4 to 5k point and leave the rest or ramp it a little more after 5.5k?

Beastlee
12-09-2009, 10:44 PM
OK, LC-1 fitted but not promising so far. Can't get it to log on the laptop and the car sees to idle very rough. calibration went OK though, more to investigate tomorrow.

Beastlee
16-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Blatant cross-post:

...recal[ibration] has done the trick. Also looks like the LM Programmer with Logworks3 has an issue and had managed to set it to run between 6.3 and 6.7AFR which explains a few things! It's now set to run 15.2AFR and ticks over around 15 and 21-22 on decellaration. Here's a log of me drivng around camp after fitting theres a couple of short blasts int he middle just to see what it would do. Seems to go to about 12 with WOT in 4th from low speed. Will log it properly when I get a chance this week.

Hooked it up to the Profec but it's 0.00V@7.35AFR and 5.00V@22.4AFR but not sure if that'sset right but both are configured the same. It matches Evoscan so I guess it must be. Just need to work out how to get the Profec and e-manage to use them for mapping.......Wodjieae you reading this?

Cheers again guys I'd be lost without you all.

Excel Spreadsheet (amended to highlight data)- http://legnum.mine.nu/Downloads/96_VR4_Legnum_Beastlee_13-09-09.xls

CSV File (Untouched)- http://legnum.mine.nu/Downloads/EvoScanDataLog_2009.09.13_21.24.30.csv

I'd much appreciate someone knowledgable looking over them and offering opinions and advice.

Beastlee
06-10-2009, 10:16 AM
OK, so following Steve's advice I dropped both set and gain down to a much lower level but got bored of only just reaching 11psi (especially after the disappointment of being told it didn't feel much faster than stock). So the other day I tweaked it back up past where I was getting fuel-cut but upped the gain more then the set. Expecting to get fuel cut again I was suprised to be back at 12+ psi and holding without any issues to mention. I was even more suprised as the temprature outside is now between 5 an d10 degrees cooler than before.

Glenn did mention to me a strange phenomenon like this on his so I wonder if there's anything causing it.

Mark 4
06-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Lee, I believe that it's an electronic thing. When you change one setting it causes the others to react differently. Matt (Orionn20) had a name for it when I spoke to him last, he'll probably read this and enlighten us all.

Beastlee
06-10-2009, 06:52 PM
LOL, thanks Mark.