PDA

View Full Version : More gauge question...

GalantOnly
12-02-2008, 05:32 PM
I have already Defi boost on the right side of dashboard, and now it's time for the left side...

The thing is that I can only choose ONE gauge between...let say two:
1. Oil temp
2. Oil pressure

Which one of those is best choice for our cars?:thinking:

I think pressure is the best choice, but what would you guys prefer?

Nick Mann
12-02-2008, 05:55 PM
You can get gauges which read from multiple sensors. Is that an option? Failing that Turbo_Steve gave a good opinion in this thread (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29498):

Oil Temperature can be useful on a track day, but less so on the road: When the engine is cold, you can see from the oil pressure gauge: you'll also see when it's up to temperature. It will also indicate when your oil is breaking down, as pressure will start to roll off.

GalantOnly
12-02-2008, 06:21 PM
You can get gauges which read from multiple sensors. Is that an option?

I'm just so much in Defis...:smitten: Those gauges matches our high contrast vis like nothing else... And they don't do multiples, as far as I know...

But yeah... pressure is the one, I think. Temp is useless...:toilet:

Nick Mann
12-02-2008, 08:20 PM
If I had the cash, I would be getting this:

http://www.plxdevices.com/products/dm100/

Plus the wideband, oil pressure and boost inputs, plus the possibility of EGT and knock. Lubbly Jubbly!

GalantOnly
12-02-2008, 10:34 PM
If I had the cash, I would be getting this:

http://www.plxdevices.com/products/dm100/

Plus the wideband, oil pressure and boost inputs, plus the possibility of EGT and knock. Lubbly Jubbly!

Cool....:2thumbsup

Turbo_Steve
12-02-2008, 10:55 PM
I am a DieHard Defi fan, but even I have to confess that they've been totally outdone by PLX. If you don't mind a bit of work, I'd suggest you put Boost and Oil Pressure on the dash as Defi's, and get a couple of small PLXs in the clock hole to do everything else.

Alternatively, as the PLXs will do everything EXCEPT fuel pressure (apparently) then you might want to consider putting the Defi Fuel Pressure gauge on the dash: it has the lovely advantage that if the fuel pressure and boost pressure don't rise at the same rate, the defi's will alert you that there is a problem with pump / reg, which the PLX's can't do. If you're planning to add other gauges or readouts, I'd get Fuel Pressure for maximal functionality. If you can only have two gauges, then make the second one Oil Pressure.
If, however, you're tuning the car, you WILL need more gauges: AFR at least.

Oh...and thanks Nick :)

Nick Mann
12-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Thanks for what? Posting up a link to a customisable gauge? :thinking:

Or finding stuff for you to spend money on! /pan

Fully
13-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Pressure would be my pick, you got no pressure, you shouldent have temp :P

Thats a very kool custom gauge. Upload a VR-4 wall paper for it would be mint.

Turbo_Steve
13-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Turbo_Steve gave a good opinion

Hence the thanks :)

Fortunately I'd already seen the PLX's, and the missus was with me, so I've been gently reminded that it's her car and the clock is staying.

Nick Mann
13-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Aaaah. Sorry - didn't realise that's what the thanks was for.

:thumbsup:

ianturbo
13-02-2008, 10:45 PM
That Dm 100 looks tops :afro: I haven't got a clue what it does but it looks cool !!
ian