PDA

View Full Version : gearbox

dean
13-02-2008, 08:08 PM
gearbox help

havent notised it be forbut it seems sloppy going in to gear like the somthing is loose on the selector or is it just me???

Paul Beazer
13-02-2008, 08:52 PM
IIRC yours is a 6G isnt it? Manual? Might be worth looking at the actual gear lever to see if anythings worked its way loose in there.
Cant help much more than that as i dont really know the older galants, sorry.

pitslayer
13-02-2008, 09:10 PM
i have not driven your car so i wouldnt know.
best bet is to check the whole linkage, lift up your gear gaiter and see if there is any slop around the joint, then head to your engine bay and check the lever arm and linkage onto your gearbbox for slop there.

Kieran
14-02-2008, 12:35 AM
Mitsubishi have a habit (like a lot of Japanese manufacturers) of not redesigning something if it still works. so like the 8th generation Galants, I would hazard a guess that you'll have shifter cables and rubber/metal bushes on each end, with possibly a 'floating' bracket on the gearbox casing that holds the shifter cables in place. On the 8Gs and other cable selector Mitsubishis, these can get a bit sloppy with time, so on a car like yours, I wouldn't be surprised if the cable bushings are knackered. As Pitslayer says, eliminate the linkages first.

Eurospec
14-02-2008, 12:56 AM
Mitsubishi have a habit (like a lot of Japanese manufacturers) of not redesigning something if it still works. so like the 8th generation Galants, I would hazard a guess that you'll have shifter cables and rubber/metal bushes on each end, with possibly a 'floating' bracket on the gearbox casing that holds the shifter cables in place. On the 8Gs and other cable selector Mitsubishis, these can get a bit sloppy with time, so on a car like yours, I wouldn't be surprised if the cable bushings are knackered. As Pitslayer says, eliminate the linkages first.

I think you're probably on the money their Kieran. It sounds like a bushing type issue, probably the little floater one you are mentioning.

You can actually put a pin through the latter to help stiffen the busing when it gets old and warn, which very often solves a poor gear selection type symptom.

Cheers,

Ben.

dean
14-02-2008, 01:17 PM
going to have a look later on to day just finished having a back box put on

Dan_G
14-02-2008, 08:16 PM
yup the rubber bushing on the gearbox end can wear....

one of mine sheared completely due to excessive wear and an over agressive gearchange... lost the down part of the change but still had 1, 3 & 5 to get home, then lost up and down after i got up the driveway ...

like said before you can drill the bracket and replaced bushes with M6 shallowhead bolts / screws...

thats what i ended up doing and have a very solid gearchange now.

Dan

pitslayer
15-02-2008, 02:34 PM
lol happened on my old SEAT, ended up driving home with 3rd and 5th gear that was interesting in rush hour /lol