PDA

View Full Version : Just a note

simpsonm
11-02-2004, 09:56 PM
Was driving to work today, tootling down the motorway when I heard a hissing noise coming from the engine bay. Got to 3500 revs and a loss of power, car jumped like a kangaroo spewing out black smoke. Got the AA out who politely told me the intake pipe to the manifold had blown off. To my surprise there it was detached. There is a rubber seal that sits over the metal manifod pipe and inside the intake plastic pipe. This had holes in it also. I have to admit I poooed myself thinking this was gonna be expensive until the AA guy told me it was summat and nowt. So just thought I'd let you know if anyone else experiences it.

borgan
11-02-2004, 10:31 PM
I'm surprised it came off whilst not boosting. This has happened to me quite a few times recently, but always when the turbos are on boost. The rubber insert is now unusable & even the slightest amount of boost causes it to come off. Mitsu quoted at least 10 days from time of order. I've opted to have the pipe fabricated rather than wait 10 possibly 20 days for a pipe (insert not available separately apparently). Joining the pipes with some silicone hose should prove stronger than the genuine part. Should be complete by the weekend.

I believe Michaeli might be having the same problem as he has enquired about this pipe on the "for sale/ wanted" forums.

Roadrunner
12-02-2004, 12:55 AM
I'm surprised it came off whilst not boosting
I'd guess it came off earlier, then noticed it only when back on boost at 3500rpm ...

Brian

michaeli
15-02-2004, 04:23 PM
I had the same problem, I ordered one from Japan through Mitsi Main Dealer. It cost £40...

It's easy enough to fix though, I bought some tape {like rubber} which is normally used to repair leaking water hoses, wrapped it around the inlet pipe, took out the rubber insert from the plastic pipe, poured hot water over the plastic pipe {to expand it as much as possible} slotted it on, wrapped the same tape around the outside of the pipe once dry, fixed the jubilee clip around it and tightened it as much as possible. { a good trick is wait until it gets really cold, like the first thing in the morning, and tighten it again, that way when it expands under the heat, it is actually tighter and the pipe shouldn't move}

Hope that helps.....

simpsonm
22-02-2004, 10:27 AM
Yes thanks, I am making an asssumption that if the pipe was loose then air would have been leaking in. having an effect on performance?

Only had the car 6 mths so maybe I'm in for a bit of turbo boost when the car is sorted.