PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Lost my hi-vis dash, lights on buzzer & front fogs

HMG1K
19-02-2008, 12:06 PM
HELP! Please! I've lost my hi-vis dashboard - it no longer blacks out when I take the keys out of the ignition... My 'lights on' buzzer no longer works, my front fogs won't switch on - and the icon doesn't appear on the dashboard.

I've pulled out and checked every fuse in the driver's foowell - all is fine. I've checked all the fuses in the engine - all is fine...

Here's what led to these three problems in one. I was changing my driver's side sidelight when I heard a 'bzz'd' - knew I'd thrown a fuse but didn't realise on this scale...

I am confused, shocked and panicing!

Thank you for all your help and time in advance.

orionn2o
19-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Is there a relay of some kind in this circuit?

Nick VR4
19-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Hmmm

Have you properly checked the fuses ??? does the drivers side light still work ??

Fuse box passenger compartment for Gauge = #4
Fuse box engine compartmant for fogs = #4

HMG1K
19-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Hmmm

Have you properly checked the fuses ??? does the drivers side light still work ??

That's the thing - the side ights, headlights, full beam all work...

Checked those fuses - and they are fine, pulled every one out... I thought it would be as simple as the Guage fuse (swapped that for a new space fuse) and the fog one is perfect.

HMG1K
19-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Is there a relay of some kind in this circuit?

That's a good point - is there...? :inquisiti And which one...?:inquisiti

White Lightning
19-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Can't help with the problem as such but just wanted to mention that when I check fuses I usually use my digital multimeter and check for a short across the fuse. You can usually do this without removing the actual fuse from the fuse box as most fuses have small exposed parts on top.

Did you have the ignition on when you changed the bulb then?

HMG1K
19-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Did you have the ignition on when you changed the bulb then?

No, the doors were shut, ignition off, keys in pocket... The bulb I tried didn't work - as I found out when I swithed the side lights on and then off - so not sure if there was still a bit of current there after I switched the lights off.

Just freaked that the hi-vis dash no longer blacks out when the keys are out, and that it can also throw the front fogs and the lights on warning buzzer.

Am worried it's going to be a costy auto electric job!

HMG1K
19-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Hmmm

Update - thanks Nick... TWO problems down - on to go! Just my hi-vis dash not working.

Re-checked my steps again... the Engine compartment fuse fuse for the fogs had tripped, so replaced that and now my front fogs and 'lights on' buzzer works! Yey! :happy:

Just down to the guage fuse now - I did replace that this morning, but will belt and brace again...

HMG1K
19-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Update - rechecked all fuses in passenger compartment and they are all ok...

So, my dashboard, I can see all the dials, faintly - as if there is 25% light to them but there isn't any light... This is with the ignition off...

When I put the keys in, the hi-vis dash works as normal...

Thank you for all your help so far - especially Nick!

Just this last hurdle to get over!

MarkSanne
19-02-2008, 04:42 PM
you did turn the dashboard-light knob up all the way didn't you?!

Nick VR4
19-02-2008, 05:24 PM
No Worries

As above check your dimmer switch isnt too low

Thinking I'm sure my dash is very low before turning on ignition

HMG1K
19-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Thank you all! Nick, White Lightning, Orionno2 and Mark!

All sorted now! Made sure the contrast nob was fully up... Missed fuse in the engine bay replaced and all is working fine!

I think the sun was a bit bright this lunchtime which made the brightness of the dash when switched off more noticable and 'alive'...

Phew! I'm so relieved and couldn't have done it without all your input and help

Thank you !

Nick VR4
19-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Thank you all! Nick, White Lightning, Orionno2 and Mark!

All sorted now! Made sure the contrast nob was fully up... Missed fuse in the engine bay replaced and all is working fine!

I think the sun was a bit bright this lunchtime which made the brightness of the dash when switched off more noticable and 'alive'...

Phew! I'm so relieved and couldn't have done it without all your input and help

Thank you !

Cool glad you got it sorted :D

Beastlee
19-02-2008, 06:35 PM
I don't think the dimmer level is the problem, I think this is during the time we would all lock the car and go home to bed, etc. All ights switched off, ignition off and key out of the barrel.
There is a possiblity of a faulty barrel I suppose or a faulty (Indicator/Lights) stalk, my last one decided to turn of the left headlamp when you indicate left on the day I sold it. Couldn't for the life of me work it out but Pete eventually found it to be the stalk.
It is almost certainly a short somewhere (perhaps in the witing loom near the said headlamp?) but could also be a back feed from another part of the circuit. Did you check the fuses under the bonnet as well as in side the car?

Beastlee
19-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Doh, too slow but my last part was right ;)

HMG1K
19-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Doh, too slow but my last part was right ;)

Thanks Beastlee! Appreciate your input too!:happy:

I was freaked that I caused a 3-in-1 problem! Just as well it was 2-in-1 as I'd still be trying to sort the third if it wasn't for the sunny weather!