PDA

View Full Version : Metal on metal

2gnscib
21-02-2008, 08:08 AM
So the other week, my left front whell had what can only be described as a metal on metal sound coming from the brakes. It went away after about 200mtrs everytime I was drving.
It soon got alot worse and was occuring more often. I found out the way to stop the noise was to pull over to the side of the road and press the brakes on full.

Driving tonight to the local KFC, I tried again to use the brakes to stop the noise but it nolonger works.

So tomorrow i'm going to to take of the wheel and have a look at the brakes etc,

Thing is, I don't think its the pad as it doesn't make the noise as I am braking, so it doesn't seem like the pad is worn thru. It sems to me like something is rubbing on the rotor.

However, could it be worse and be a wheel bearing?
But then why would it stop with braking?

Anyone have any idea on what I should be looking for?

Nick Mann
21-02-2008, 10:54 AM
It could be a bearing. But my first investigation would always be the brakes. Often the force of clamping the pad to the disc quietens down the metal to metal contact, which returns as you stop braking. The rubbage then disappears over the next few cycles of the wheel, as any friction remaining nudges the pad away from the disc.

If the pads do prove to be alright, then you need to be investigating the bearing next, as you suggest. With the wheel off the ground, grab the top and bottom and try and wobble the wheel. If you can feel movement then there is a very high chance that the bearing is worn. Also try spinning the wheel and feeling/listening for any strange movement or noise.

Let us know what you find!

orionn2o
21-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Its deffo not the warning bracket telling you the pad is getting low? That normally makes a whistling sound of metal on metal

Nikola
21-02-2008, 08:18 PM
It could be a bearing. But my first investigation would always be the brakes. Often the force of clamping the pad to the disc quietens down the metal to metal contact, which returns as you stop braking. The rubbage then disappears over the next few cycles of the wheel, as any friction remaining nudges the pad away from the disc.

If the pads do prove to be alright, then you need to be investigating the bearing next, as you suggest. With the wheel off the ground, grab the top and bottom and try and wobble the wheel. If you can feel movement then there is a very high chance that the bearing is worn. Also try spinning the wheel and feeling/listening for any strange movement or noise.

Let us know what you find!

this is all sound advice but i would also inspect the caliper as that would be my first port of call after the pad as this may be sticking, i have had this problem my self on my 200sx

:Mr-T:

psbarham
21-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Its deffo not the warning bracket telling you the pad is getting low? That normally makes a whistling sound of metal on metal

yup, that'd be my guess

Ryan
21-02-2008, 09:45 PM
In one of my past vehicles, a 1987 Opel Kadett, had a stuffed wheel bearing. The screeching was horrific and sent massive vibrations through the car. The wheel hub was also hot to the touch.

2gnscib
21-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Well I think orionn2o might have actually been right. I do believe it was the warning bracket. I had a look, turned the wheel around, took the wheel off, had another look and scratched my head a bit. I found out the source was the odd U shapped thing on the inside pad rubbing against the rotor. Confirm this is the warning bracket?
I've only had my mitsi about 6 months and still learning about the car, and general car maintainance in general.

psbarham
21-02-2008, 10:57 PM
yup thats the tricky little begger, break it off and you'll get another couple of thousand miles out of the pads.

TAR
21-02-2008, 11:41 PM
yup thats the tricky little begger, break it off and you'll get another couple of thousand miles out of the pads.

Some people are soooo tight!!

psbarham
21-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Some people are soooo tight!!

yeh , thats why my 110 quid pads don't have them :p

the ones on my rover touched when there was 7 mm of pad left, and the standard galant ones leave about 5, so you might as well get your moneys worth out of the bleeders