PDA

View Full Version : irritating wobble

steve the pirate
21-02-2008, 11:18 PM
hi all.
I have a wobble at various speeds and when it feels like it.dont know if it is a wheel bearing or drive shaft or both.wheels have been balanced and run true and straight.I live in the sticks now and every journey is not a short one.I have booked it in for tues at a local garage to see if they can sort it.any ideas as to what it is?
I get light steering after 70mph too as if the car is lifting up at the front.any ideas there too?
thanks

Nick Mann
21-02-2008, 11:23 PM
I wouldn't have thought wheel bearing, but I could be wrong. I would suspect the driveshaft, especially the inner CV joint. As this gets worse, it becomes apparent on medium acceleration at medium speeds and more.

Do you feel it through the steering wheel?

psbarham
21-02-2008, 11:24 PM
sounds like the tracking is out

pitslayer
22-02-2008, 01:25 AM
theres loads of wobbles i have come across on the front end of the normal galant,
check track rod ends
steering rack ends
balljoints
tracking
all the other bushes on the front. i ended up going down the replace everything route.
did track rod ends-wobble went, then came back
did the rack ends-wobble went, then came back
had the balljoints done- wobble went, then came back
then just replaced everything, so much easier. but the VR4 layout might be slightly different with the 4wd, and what not.
do the cheap ones first-tracking, rack ends and the track rod ends, and get someone else to rebalance your wheels.

i would also check to see if one of the shockers might be on its way out, which is an easy test, push down on the front wing, a bit, then let off, see if the car comes straight back up to one hieght, or if it bounces up and down a fair bit, but you would notice this going over bumps, as one side of the car would bounce up and down.

definatly go for tracking and balancing again first, as they are cheap.
then if that dont fix it, get it up in the air, and inspect all joints and look for tired bushes

dean
23-02-2008, 08:22 PM
i had this on my last car try looking at the tryes and make shue the tryers arnt out of shape