pitmac
22-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Can a ECU from a 1997 model be used on a 1999 model Galant VR4

Sydo
22-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Yes.

Nutter_John
22-02-2008, 12:52 PM
and no , if you are auto then a 97 ecu will run at 260bhp for an auto or 280 for a manual

Nick Mann
22-02-2008, 05:43 PM
I guess it'll still work! Just maybe with less power. Although I'm still not convinced that the difference is in the ECU.

shaun1978
22-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Is there actually any difference in the older cars to warrant the power drop? 20 horses less is quite a drop.

Nick Mann
22-02-2008, 10:52 PM
It's only about 7%?

I've seen so many "answers" as to why it isn't there. Most agree that Mitsy were unsure about the long-term strength of the auto, so dropped the power. Later they were more happy/made mods so brought the auto in line with the manual.

Theories on how are mostly to do with boost pressure or mapping. Mechanically, I don't think there is much difference, if any that matters.

Rally205
04-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Theories on how are mostly to do with boost pressure or mapping. Mechanically, I don't think there is much difference, if any that matters.

Throttle bodies are a different bore and I agree that there would appear to be no difference in the ECU. The boost solenoid may also be different.

Sydo
06-03-2008, 07:11 AM
I agree that there would appear to be no difference in the ECU.

I can attest that there is a difference.
Stepping up from '96 ECU to a 2000 model gave me a noticeable difference in power and economy.

bradc
06-03-2008, 09:31 AM
yeah a few members have swapped in facelift ecu's and noticed a difference.

Rally205
06-03-2008, 10:01 AM
yeah a few members have swapped in facelift ecu's and noticed a difference.

Just going by CAPS and most of them seem to be the same part number no matter what year.

Davezj
06-03-2008, 02:31 PM
somebody on here has read the ECU Maps from pre and post facelift cars.

i beleive the result was both of the manual maps (pre and Post) looked the same, as expected.
but both of the Auto maps looked thesame as well, which doesn't make sense.

where does the extra 20bhp come from.

the only thing i can thing of is the facelift ECU directs both type of gearbox to the manual map.

what do you think. would this work. it would only be a case of tieing a select line high or low, i would expect. does anyone know which pin/pins this would be.

Davezj
06-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Throttle bodies are a different bore and I agree that there would appear to be no difference in the ECU. The boost solenoid may also be different.

do you mean the throttlebody bore on a prefacelift auto is different to the prefacelift manual. and the same for the boost solenoid valve.

or do you mean the changes occur pre to post facelift models. if it is pre to post changes, then this is not the restricing feature. as it is auto to manual on a prefacelift change that matters.

Kieran
06-03-2008, 02:41 PM
I was wondering about the Boost Solenoid - the 3000GTs have restrictors fitted in the standard boost control lines to keep a lid on things.... I wonder if we have the same?

Problem is finding enough cars that are definetly standard and doing some back to back testing.

Turbo_Steve
06-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Volunteer: Mine is standard apart from an airfilter?

My understanding was that the Manuals stayed the same pre/post facelift, but the auto gains power and that also the shifts improve dramatically.

My understanding is that the factory ECU and gearbox ECU are separate and do somewhat more communication than the usual. So perhaps the change occurs when the two start communicating?