PDA

View Full Version : Geometry Settings

Roadrunner
17-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Does anyone know what the recommended geometry settings are for the latest model VR-4? Since having the track rods and track rod ends replaced, the tyres are not wearing evenly and the car steers slightly to the left. It brakes in a straight line so I don't think there's anything wrong with the Brembos I fitted recently INSERT INTO post VALUES (they were nearly new anyway).

It has been into the dealer twice to have the tracking checked / adjusted but I'm not convinced anyone knows exactly what the toe-in/out or castor or camber angles should be. I've always tended to run four-wheel drives INSERT INTO post VALUES (both previous Subaru Legacies and my current VR-4) with the fronts parallel for best even tyre wear INSERT INTO post VALUES (which is more important than track-day type handling ;) to me).

I'd appreciate any info. Thanks in advance :)

Brian

Roadrunner
19-05-2003, 08:08 PM
N E 1 ?

Brind
19-05-2003, 11:38 PM
I have no idea mate, I hope I've been of help. :)

Roadrunner
19-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Yep, you've been more help than my Mitsubishi dealer! :) At least you admit you've no idea - they think they do know what they're talking about, but they don't ;) and their incompetence is just about to cost me two front tyres because of severe wear on the tread edges. :mad:

BraindG
20-05-2003, 08:14 AM
added to "to-do-list" :gram:

Roadrunner
20-05-2003, 08:33 AM
Cheers Barry :)

Roadrunner
20-05-2003, 09:10 PM
Thought I'd cracked it today when I discovered a company locally that advertised four-wheel geometry checks, so gave them a call. Phone was answered by a friendly Kwik-Fit fitter :Ponder: who said the company had gone bust but that Kwik-Fit had bought their gear :) .

Asked if they could do a VR-4 - yep, no probs :) , bring it up. Did so, walked back to the office and just got back when I got the phone call to say they couldn't do it because it wasn't on the computer so they couldn't check it :INSERT INTO post VALUES ( . Asked if they could do anything with it, e.g. just check the front tracking .... Nope, can't do anything without the computer :rolleyes:

Walked back to Kwik-Fit and picked my car up again :mad: .

Grr.

BraindG
20-05-2003, 09:16 PM
I hate that.. "yeah no probs we can do that" INSERT INTO post VALUES (while cleaning the oil off from under their finger nails, no even looking at computer) then you get there.. oh, a VR-4 hmmm, no actually we cant.. "SLAP"...

haydar
21-05-2003, 12:10 AM
When I bought my car it wore away my front tyres INSERT INTO post VALUES (expensive P0s) in a matter of months! I didn't realise it was doing this because all the wear happened on the inside while the outside looked new.

I used to get my car serviced by RalliArt in Dudley and they realigned the geometry and it has been better every since. However, be an aggressive driver and it still wears away the inside of the tyres first. This is a four wheel drive trait since my cossie used to do exactly the same.

pjjohnson
21-05-2003, 08:55 AM
I had the problem of uneven wear and it was improved,but not fixed, by upping the tyre pressures a bit

chris g
21-05-2003, 09:33 AM
At last something technical I have a slight idea about as I am to DIY/mechanics etc what Douglas Bader was to football!

The car runs negative camber as norm so uneven tyre wear is expected - on inside of tread I understand

My deralers were f'in useless having contracted out to ATS to have it done and as expected ATS were f'in useless as well

Foolishly perhaps then arranged to use my dealers other site INSERT INTO post VALUES (Mazda) where they do wheel alignment and after a wasted day and wasted hours they had the data and set the car up

Working OK and steering OK

If I can get data from them wil post it here

EdmundVR4
21-05-2003, 11:29 AM
Guys, my car is a JapImport and when I bought it had 13000kms on the odometer. It came with Bridgestone tyres which wore down evenly. I then replaced wheels & tyres with Konig 17x8 wheels & 235/45/17 Kumho Ecsta Supra tyres and these have worn evenlyINSERT INTO post VALUES (using Toyo Proxes T1S now). The Hunter Alignment machine used here has all the specs for all the different Galants including VR4's.

Roadrunner
22-05-2003, 06:39 PM
Got a laser alignment done today. Happy again :)

Here are the primary angles specs from the computer:

Ultra VR-4
22-05-2003, 09:49 PM
Does this mean that you solved the problem?

Roadrunner
22-05-2003, 10:30 PM
Yes, I believe so. The car feels and handles much better now. I'll see what the tyre wear is like after a week or so, but I'm hopeful it's sorted. :)

Roadrunner
18-06-2003, 03:19 PM
Can anyone tell me what the effect would be of introducing a bit more negative camber on the front wheels? The rears are currently -1°42' INSERT INTO post VALUES (slightly more negative than the table above would recommend, but it looks good and I've no issues with the rear stepping out or poor tyre wear. Fronts are around neutral though and I'd like some more negative camber from an aesthetic viewpoint, but not at the expense of ruining the handling or scrubbing the tyres too quickly.

Any guidance would be appreciated. :)
Thanks,
Brian

soapy1978
08-04-2006, 11:57 PM
where can i get these done as my near side rear tyre is dead just after 2000 mile's didn't know of the problem until i came back to car in car park and found it to be flat took out the wheel brace to find it didn't fit the wheel nuts so hr new AA man came out to put the spare on for me and when we took the wheel off to find the hole inner egde to be gone

ianb
10-05-2006, 01:44 AM
I used Pro-tyre in Enfield, they are a subsidiary of Micheldever tyres.About £50 +vat.Sept 2004.for 4wheel alignment .Tyre wear is fine & even, their specs for caster & camber similar to figure quoted, except they list for vr4 front toe of -0.8 to 0.8, total -1.7 to 1.7. Rear 0.0 to 1.7, total 0.0 to 3.4.
Mine was set at total front 0.9, rear total 1.6, ie mid way , seems about right.
Ian