PDA

View Full Version : Pilot light not staying lit on our boiler ...

White Lightning
23-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Had to relight it 5 times yesterday ... /Grrr

Can anyone of our resident plumbing expects (nudge, nudge Richy) suggest what could be the problem?

The boiler is a Worcester Delglo 3 ... probably about 15-20 years old!

richy rich
23-02-2008, 11:44 AM
its fooked

richy rich
23-02-2008, 11:44 AM
when was it last serviced

White Lightning
23-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Not since we've been in the house. But I think it was done not long before we moved in. Probably about 2 years ago.

richy rich
23-02-2008, 11:53 AM
get it done there are so many resons why you should have it serviced its you life mate.

White Lightning
23-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Hmm, OK mate I guess it's one of those things that I keep putting off.

Don't suppose you fancy a trip to Bracknell?

I am guessing the central heating could do with servicing too ... aren't you supposed to flush the system out or something every so often?

DickBarton
23-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Carbon Monoxide not a problem then? I'd get it serviced ASAP...gas is a hidden killer (or so those 80's and 90's infomercials used to tell us!)

White Lightning
23-02-2008, 12:07 PM
No idea Dick ... don't know much about boilers really. I'll get it serviced as Richy recommends ... if he can't do it, I'll probably get Southern Electric in.

Wodjno
23-02-2008, 12:18 PM
I would ensure that you get the Boiler Serviced by a Corgi registered plumber /yes

Not knocking Richys ability, but if anything go's wrong then it will only be yourself that is to blame. If a Corgi registered plumber does it, then it will be they who are liable. And as stated, it's you and yours lives that are at risk.. You've heard the saying "Well it'll never happen to me" well it can !!
I am quite capable of servicing my own boiler, but i still get it done via a Corgi registered plumber..

Flushing your system can cause more issues than not.. Depending on the age and last flushing of your sytem.. Same as cars that are coked up and using a fuel and injector cleaner can cause issues. Those coked up bits on older cars are actually sealing parts that are helping the car rather than hindering.
You don't what a flooded house.
If you want to clean your system i would advise a drain down and then take off each individual rad and flush out with a hose pipe. this cleans out all the black crap in the rads, but doesnt use any detergents that will break down any deposits that might cause issues of leakage when they are gone..

After all of the above!! If your system seems to working ok, as is.. Then leave it alone :D

But get that boiler serviced.. /yes
A quick flick through your local yellow pages will bring up plenty local plumbers..
Using large companys like BG and the like, you will only pay through the nose for the same job.. !!

White Lightning
23-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Top advice Glenn, good man :thumbsup:

Have just left a message with a local plumber that I have found in the yellow pages that is Corgi registered. Apparently, according to the message he only does repairs/breakdowns in the winter and does not start servicing until the spring. Have explained the problem and hopefully he will get back to me.

Cheers again Glenn and Rich :2thumbsup

orionn2o
23-02-2008, 12:37 PM
The supply to the pilot light will most likely be blocked up with soot.. the plumber will probably walk in and rub it with a wire brush! Then take 100 quid and go on his happy way.

And you can then hang out in your warm house!

Wodjno
23-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Top advice Glenn, good man :thumbsup:

Have just left a message with a local plumber that I have found in the yellow pages that is Corgi registered. Apparently, according to the message he only does repairs/breakdowns in the winter and does not start servicing until the spring. Have explained the problem and hopefully he will get back to me.

Cheers again Glenn and Rich :2thumbsup

No worries.. It shouldn't be more than £60 or so for a service..

And http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/reputation.php?p=312727

:D

Nick VR4
23-02-2008, 01:11 PM
The supply to the pilot light will most likely be blocked up with soot.. the plumber will probably walk in and rub it with a wire brush! Then take 100 quid and go on his happy way.

And you can then hang out in your warm house!

Had the same problem with the gas fire just cleaned it and hey presto :D

But it does get serviced too

White Lightning
23-02-2008, 01:45 PM
No worries.. It shouldn't be more than £60 or so for a service..

And http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/reputation.php?p=312727

:D

Well deserved :thumbsup:

The Vee
23-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Yeah agree with the above. But don't be tempted with a British Gas service plan. They want you to take time off work so they can come when THEY want, always leave the job half done, and normally tell you your boiler is old/fooked and needs a new one. Had no end of probs with them over the years and will soon be cancelling my contract with them in favour of a local corgi registered company.

pitslayer
23-02-2008, 06:38 PM
shame your so far out, our plumber is pretty good and very cheap, and she is also unbelivably fit and corgi registered

TAR
23-02-2008, 07:31 PM
It could be the thermocouple, a failure of this would stop the pilot staying alight.

richy rich
23-02-2008, 07:36 PM
As wodj said corgi reg plumber is the only way to go I im not gorgi regestered so cant help sorry.

richy rich
23-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Had the same problem with the gas fire just cleaned it and hey presto :D

But it does get serviced too
This may be the case but it is not for me or anyone to advise to do this.

stuartturbo
23-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Oddly mine did have the installation man with it and in that does have a full diagnostics which has been a god send when its broken down
Expansion vessel, switches etc

I had mine serviced by Worcester engineers and he fooked it right up
Left and it was all ok the following morning It would not fire up at all, where he had brushed of the eliment rather than vac,d out the dust the fan switch had got clogged but Worcester refused to accept any responsibilty to quote them " not our engineer when he left it was working I can send him round to check but that will be £90" /lol

Wodjno
24-02-2008, 12:21 AM
Oddly mine did have the installation man with it and in that does have a full diagnostics which has been a god send when its broken down
Expansion vessel, switches etc

Left and it was all ok the following morning It would not fire up at all, where he had brushed of the eliment rather than vac,d out the dust the fan switch had got clogged but Worcester refused to accept any responsibilty to quote them " not our engineer when he left it was working I can send him round to check but that will be £90" /lol

Trading Standards ????? :inquisiti :inquisiti

stuartturbo
24-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Did think about it, but by the time i had an idependent report and as the said it was fine when he left It would be hard to prove
I just clean out the dust with a vac and blew out all the air lines

psbarham
24-02-2008, 10:27 AM

sounds like standard practice for them, they came and serviced my oil fired boiler and spent a good couple of hours setting up the fueling etc, a couple of days later the failure light came on, i phoned up their service dept who said they had left it working properly so would charge 90 odd quid to come and have a look but it was probably the tank was low on oil and that was causing the problem, i told them that was doubtful as i had put 1000 litres (500 quids worth)in 3 weeks previous, the dumb bint on the phone said that sounds like a normal amount to use :o
so i called out a local bod who charged 20 quid to open up the gap in the ignitor, the gap was so small that when the boiler ran it heated the electrodes up and they touched causing a short, he said that it hadn't been removed for checking as part of the service, since he did that its been faultless.