PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Cannister Question

mpau009
24-02-2008, 05:05 AM
..Do i need it?

From what iv gathered on here, it is a venting tank for the fuel tank? Stops stinky smells and whatnot entering the cabin.

Basically i need to move it in case it gets too hot with the new exhaust setup.

I could relocate it, but really i cant be bothered if its not too important.

Is there anything to stop me ditching it, and simply connecting the in and out hoses, so that it keeps the non return (dont fancy feeding 14psi into the gas tank:P), and just goes directly into the intake manifold?

Im guessing it was put there for some sort of reason.. is it emissions, or will venting it directly to the intake cause other issues?:evil2:

bradc
24-02-2008, 05:14 AM
you can't just use metal shielding?

Subaru ETA
24-02-2008, 05:59 AM
i would keep it mike. without it your car would stink of petrol fumes!!! as brad said, couldnt you use some sort of heat shield?

mpau009
24-02-2008, 06:26 AM
i would keep it mike. without it your car would stink of petrol fumes!!! as brad said, couldnt you use some sort of heat shield?

Even if i plumb the line into the intake? ie just cut out the cannister, not leave the lines open.

I could do a heat shield, but its only got vacuum lines, so it would be easier to tuck it somewhere more remote. I'm just trying to avoid having lines running all over the place:afro:

Subaru ETA
24-02-2008, 07:57 AM
even if you plumb it out it will still stink. plus think of the ozone layer! :p

Kenneth
26-02-2008, 12:18 AM
extend the tubing and move it somewhere?

Kieran
26-02-2008, 12:26 AM
I've seen some threads on 3si.org where some of the US guys have 'De-Vacced' their cars, removing some of the emissions gear in the process. I can't remember the details and neither can I remember if the results were significant. Might be worth asking Ben though?

mpau009
26-02-2008, 01:44 AM
I've seen some threads on 3si.org where some of the US guys have 'De-Vacced' their cars, removing some of the emissions gear in the process. I can't remember the details and neither can I remember if the results were significant. Might be worth asking Ben though?

I'll have a hunt around. I might just remove it for now, and if it stinks, do a relocation. It is just the engine bay is starting to look a bit full

Eurospec
26-02-2008, 09:58 AM
The 3si vac reduction mod is more about getting rid of the heap of hoses on top of the throttle body normally kieran, but you can remove the carbon can no probs.

Its just an emissions friendly vent for the fuel tank. Older cars just use a vented fuel cap. I binned mine on the gto and i noticed the pressure build up in the tank, so instead of putting on a vented cap ijust dont screw the top on all the way!

The job of the can is to scrub the fuel fumes from the vent. I suppose there is a very small risk of unscrubbed fumes causing an intake backfire if you just connect it direct. Make sure it has a 1 way valve in the line though, otherwise you will pressureise your tank!

Cheers,

Ben.

mpau009
26-02-2008, 10:20 AM
The 3si vac reduction mod is more about getting rid of the heap of hoses on top of the throttle body normally kieran, but you can remove the carbon can no probs.

Its just an emissions friendly vent for the fuel tank. Older cars just use a vented fuel cap. I binned mine on the gto and i noticed the pressure build up in the tank, so instead of putting on a vented cap ijust dont screw the top on all the way!

The job of the can is to scrub the fuel fumes from the vent. I suppose there is a very small risk of unscrubbed fumes causing an intake backfire if you just connect it direct. Make sure it has a 1 way valve in the line though, otherwise you will pressureise your tank!

Cheers,

Ben.

Yeah thanks Ben, iv had a look at what other have been doing on other forums, and i get what it does now, and a lot of performance projects bin them. I dont fancy adding to pollution, but i am having trouble finding a decent place to relocate it to. Would it matter what orientation the cannister is mounted? ie if i mount it sideways..