PDA

View Full Version : Turbo porting

Paul C
24-02-2008, 12:46 PM
For the section of the club who are looking to keep standard turbo's, and to keep the car as a daily driver, is this an option. I'm not looking to break records but would this mod help at all.

Here's a link that i have found but haven't looked into it much but spooling time is supposed to be increased.

http://www.banningcohen.com/buick/stock_turbo/index.htm

The turbo mentioned looks very similar to ours just bigger

http://www.banningcohen.com/buick/pt67/

Turbo_Steve
24-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Clips and ports have (apparently) been tried.
The restriction on the TD03s seems to be the wheel speed rather than the housing...the wheel is just too small (i.e. it reaches super-high temperature speeds) before the housing is a restriction.

That being said, I'm still convinced there is potential for a hybrid...especially after seeing the BMW items.

Paul C
24-02-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm scraping the barrel for easy mods, back to the drawing bored.

Turbo_Steve
24-02-2008, 11:05 PM
Apart from his horrendously expensive ECU, brad seems to have achieved the most with the least expense on here.

I'm very much with you: As far as I can ascertain, the turbos and the injectors are very much the limitation...and also the most expensive bits to change.

400bhp atw would seem to be the ideal output for these cars if delivered smoothly. But obviously budget is important, and unless there is a cheap solution to the turbos then 400bhp is unrealistic.

Kenneth
26-02-2008, 12:15 AM
Apart from his horrendously expensive ECU, brad seems to have achieved the most with the least expense on here.

er, the ECU is where his performance comes from though, so I can't see any justification of that statement. His car was also off the road for over a year which increases the total cost quite considerably.

If you want cost for performance, get some 2.5" down pipes and a 3" exhaust. It may not be the CHEAPEST mod, but it gets you more power (peak power that is) than a boost controller. I even have the dyno graphs (you can find them on here if you look) to prove it.

Kieran
26-02-2008, 12:24 AM
If you want cost for performance, get some 2.5" down pipes and a 3" exhaust. It may not be the CHEAPEST mod, but it gets you more power (peak power that is) than a boost controller. I even have the dyno graphs (you can find them on here if you look) to prove it.

I disagree with that.... Well - I disagee with the downpipe part certainly, and in my experience an aftermarket exhaust only really comes alive with a decat (or sports cat) on there.

However, this could be a pre-facelift/facelift difference - The extra PSI that the facelifts are set to could mean they make more of an exhaust etc before a B/C was needed. Certainly though on my car, the exhaust and downpipes didn't do very much untill I ditched the standard boost control system and went aftermarket.

Kenneth
26-02-2008, 12:28 AM
I disagree with that.... Well - I disagee with the downpipe part certainly, and in my experience an aftermarket exhaust only really comes alive with a decat (or sports cat) on there.
I may not have been clear enough, but this comment "get some 2.5" down pipes and a 3" exhaust" is supposed to also take care of the standard cat converter.

As I said though, I have dyno sheets to prove it. If you also look at the dyno results compiled by soapy, I also had the highest peak power of anyone, even those with piggy back controllers.

There MAY be some differences with facelift and pre models, hopefully ill be able to confirm that in the not to distant future.