PDA

View Full Version : Inlet air temperature

Paul C
24-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Do we know at what temperature it is classed as too high that it effects performance? I am measuring mine just at the exit of the intercooler and have seen as much as 20degrees celsius difference depending mainly on the weather.I have only just started taking note and have seen temperatures as low as 6dg C and recently 23 dg C. I'm trying to keep in the temperture range that would add fuel rather than subtract it.

Thanks

Paul C

Wodjno
24-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Do we know at what temperature it is classed as too high that it effects performance? I am measuring mine just at the exit of the intercooler and have seen as much as 20degrees celsius difference depending mainly on the weather.I have only just started taking note and have seen temperatures as low as 6dg C and recently 23 dg C. I'm trying to keep in the temperture range that would add fuel rather than subtract it.

Thanks

Paul C

Not quite sure what you mean Paul, by your trying to keep in the temp range that would add fuel rather than subtract it ??
For power, the cooler the better..

The only way you can keep the temp constant is by driving it on days that the air is the same temp :D

If the air is hotter, it is less dense therefore less fuel will be added..
The colder the air, the more fuel will be added..

But the ratios will still be the same as determined either by your 02 sensor or the ECU Map ...

Forgive me if i've misunderstood where your coming from :scholar:

Paul C
24-02-2008, 09:07 PM
I think i'm being too specific about something that varies alot.I'm trying to improve the intake air temp over standard.By keeping the feed away from the engine as much as possible.I think i was trying to establish if there was a border line temp which i need to stay below to maximise performance. But this a varying factor so that goes out the window. So i just need to experiment to find a feed area that gives the lowest figures and best results.

mpau009
24-02-2008, 09:15 PM
I think i'm being too specific about something that varies alot.I'm trying to improve the intake air temp over standard.By keeping the feed away from the engine as much as possible.I think i was trying to establish if there was a border line temp which i need to stay below to maximise performance. But this a varying factor so that goes out the window. So i just need to experiment to find a feed area that gives the lowest figures and best results.

It would be interesting to see how your temperatures vary when sitting at the lights etc, since i believe this was having a huge affect when i was running an unshielded pod in the stock position, with cold air feeds. Im guessing if youv got sealed cold air intake it would even that sort of thing out a whole lot.

There probably is a point where the intake temp causes the ecu to change timing or fuel as a result of increased knock levels tho? or would that have to be significantly higher temps?

Paul C
24-02-2008, 09:29 PM
At the moment i'm running Manifold Absolute Pressure(no maf) off the map ecu2 and its controlling the IAT adjustment. The baro pressure is only sampled once at startup. On stock Maf 3 factors seem to be measured constantly, airflow, baro pressure, air temp. I have locked te standard air temp adjust with 2200ohm resistor,roughly 24 degrees celcius(i think).The baro pressure is sampled and fed at a constant via mapecu2. So if the map fuel table is set correctly it should stay constant in relation to load.So for me the IAT plays a big part for maximising performance. I could go with seperate air feeds to each turbo but at the moment thats out of my reach.For now i will take readings with intake pointing engine side, passenger headlight side,passenger headlight side enclosed. I'm hoping this will show a decent difference.

Nutter_John
24-02-2008, 10:42 PM
on the mapecu2 you can set the IAT to auto adjust for inlet temp

Wodjno
24-02-2008, 10:50 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr

Eurospec
25-02-2008, 10:00 AM
AIT is something that the ecu is using to calculate air density, so as to calculate mass air flow. You can use auto adjust on the map 2 to compensate for it, since say at lights the ait will be high, as it will on a warm engine restart.

True inlet temp- ie charge temp, you really want to hold that down as low as you can, but thats more a function of turbo and intercooler efficiency.

Cheers,

Ben.

Paul C
25-02-2008, 09:29 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr

stress head/pan

i'm using the iat adjust at the moment, but i'm also logging temps just to see how low i can keep them in relation to the ambient temp.