PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Clutch Shudder

newman132
25-02-2008, 12:12 PM
hi, a new clutch was installed into my vr4 and now it shudders when changing gears and worse in reverse. could anyone help explain what might be happening?

Eurospec
25-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Depends how bad the shudder is and what clutch was put in there.

A paddle clutch will grab and and snatch at the flywheel, although normally you only feel that when first setting off.

A damaged flywheel, ie if your old flywheel was fubar'd by your old clutch slipping, may cause these symptoms, but it would have to be pretty bad.

Worst case, if the gearbox was 'hung' on the gearbox input shaft when they installed the gearbox to the clutch that can bend the clutch friction plate, or the input shaft itself (although you'd have to be a muppet to do that and the car would judder all the time)

Sometimes if the judder is just light, its simply the clutch bedding in.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Ben.

Subaru ETA
26-02-2008, 05:55 AM
yeah id give it about 1500km's to bed in. then go from there

newman132
26-02-2008, 07:01 AM
the clutch kit was the pro shop iida kit from rhd it is only a light shudder and it isn't all the time only when changing gears so i hope it is just beeding in

pitslayer
26-02-2008, 12:58 PM
not another car with clutch shudder, currently helping out on a beetle based trike with clutch shudder
if its a new clutch it wont be a glazed clutch, as this can cause it
bed it in for a while see how it goes, but i would go with the following if stays
hung on the input shaft like said
knackered flywheel, but i feel this to be very unlikely
thrust release/race bearing isnt happy, although i always change mine when i do a clutch, only a couple of quid and a 5 minute job really
if its an uprated clutch then your fly wheel and thrust bearing might not be to happy with the fricition.....

Alan T
01-06-2008, 12:11 AM
Hey guys, I have the same problem. :sad3:
When I pull off in 1st gear I get the dreadful shudder. Happens when I reverse as well. The thing is, it doesn't happen all the time, just now and again.
This has really got me stumped to what the reason for the judder is. :undecided

/help

peter thomson
01-06-2008, 12:14 AM
Is it an uprated clutch or standard.I think some of the uprated ones can efferct the car like this.

Alan T
01-06-2008, 12:26 AM
I honestly don't know much about the car. No history with it from Japan.
Only had it a couple of weeks.
There was no sign of a shudder the first week, only just developed over the past few days.

peter thomson
01-06-2008, 12:41 AM
I'm sure some of the guys with manual boxes will be along soon with some suggestions.

Subaru ETA
01-06-2008, 07:06 AM
is it slipping at all under boost?

id say its fly wheel or pressure plate

Alan T
01-06-2008, 11:56 AM
There's no slipping at all.
Took it for a spin this morning and everything was OK.

Alan T
02-06-2008, 07:07 AM
Took it out the driveway this morning and it juddered in 1st then reverse.
Left it ticking over for 5 minutes then headed off out, and guess what, not a judder since.

ianturbo
05-06-2008, 12:03 AM
only when cold ?
ian:thinking:

cribba
14-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Don't know if it's relevant, but I had the proshop iiada paddle clutch and lightened flywheel fitted last year, fantastic but do get a bit of judder sometimes. Not a problem (for me) though, it's just you have to be really precise on lower gear changes/engine revs esp when changing down. If you try to feather the clutch at all moving off or in reverse it can cause a bit of a judder but shouldn't when it's fully engaged.

bradc
14-06-2008, 11:02 PM
I had clutch judder yesterday, accidently selected 3rd rather than first and tried to move off the line :)

Alan T
09-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Hey guys, I think I might have found the cause of my "Judder".

Atik
14-06-2009, 01:14 AM
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am now getting intermittent clutch shudders!

As per post number 12, it only seems to occur when the engine is cold and pulling away in 1st. The 1-2 gear changes also seems very stiff until the car has warmed up. The car also doesn't want to go into 1st when coming to a stop. Again, all is fine when the car has been running for 5 minutes or so. I havent felt any shudder in reverse though.

This has only been happening the last week or so.

I have a standard manual clutch and gearbox in case anyone can provide any wisdom.

Nick Mann
14-06-2009, 08:33 AM
1st to 2nd gearchanges are often a git in vr4's and FWD manual galants. Mine has the same issue. Also with not wanting to go back into first. You can get round the back into first issue by pressing the clutch pedal twice or just gently pushing the lever forwards with the car moving slightly. As to the shudder - I'm not sure I can answer that one. How is your clutch fluid level looking?

bradc
14-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Castrol VMX or Amsoil MTG (GL4 oils) should help a bit with the gear change. I too think the issues are unrelated, but apart from the clutch on it's way out I can't suggest anything sorry!

Nick Mann
14-06-2009, 08:46 AM
It already has MTG in it Brad.

Atik
14-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Clutch fluid is fine. Been driving today from cold a few times and it was perfect everytime! Gearchanges were spot on!

No idea what this could be then as its not consistent enough to pick up any patterns. I will keep a close watch on this in the future.