PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Short shifter!

Mante
14-02-2004, 02:04 AM
I took the recommendation from one of the Evo owners to go with to with TopSpeedPro1's Short shifter. Installation took all of 15 minutes flat, tools needed were phillips head, needle nose plyers, two 12mm wrenches and 10mm socket. I attached a pic from the manual of the US galant ironically its identical!

Oh yea the shift lever bushings item #9 in the pic will need to be replaced! normal wear and tear on those parts so do it while its already out of the car.

EdmundVR4
14-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Mante, Give us your opinion & comments on the performance of the short shifter. Also, where is it available....any website ? I have an EC5A manual VR4 and an E84A manual VR4 with the engine & drivetrain form a 6 speed GTO (6G72T), and the GTO's gearbox/ shifter cannot compare with the EC5A VR4's as regards smoothness and feel. I didn't think the EC5A's shifter could be better after comparing the two and also remembering what the original gearbox of the E84A (7G VR4) felt like (so so).
Thanks for the information.
Regards,
Edmund

Mante
14-02-2004, 02:50 PM
Mante, Give us your opinion & comments on the performance of the short shifter. Also, where is it available....any website ? I have an EC5A manual VR4 and an E84A manual VR4 with the engine & drivetrain form a 6 speed GTO (6G72T), and the GTO's gearbox/ shifter cannot compare with the EC5A VR4's as regards smoothness and feel. I didn't think the EC5A's shifter could be better after comparing the two and also remembering what the original gearbox of the E84A (7G VR4) felt like (so so).
Thanks for the information.
Regards,
Edmund

Im going to the autoparts store in a few minutes to pick up shift lever bushings. After forcing the oem bushings on the aftermarket shifter thats when I realized the size difference, probrably to increase duration/lifetime of the product. I have been unable to find a website about Top Speed Pro 1 products but local tuners have either heard or used there products without complaints. I missed this auction on ebay but did manage to get the same one.

Its by far one of the best modifications for driver comfort, it does not live up to the 45-50% reduction in throw but it is a significant difference. And I love it! For $50 bucks US I couldnt imagine doing circuit without ithttp://wam.umd.edu/~hillbj/Short%20Shifter.jpg

EdmundVR4
15-02-2004, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the info. Please let us know how it all works out when you install the bushings for the shifter. I may want to do the same but I need to know where I can purchase the Top Speed Pro 1 shifter & bushings, as I autocross with my VR4 and sometimes on the 1st to 2nd gear shift it grates and maybe with the shorter throw it would not grate.
Thanks again,
Edmund