PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Legnum - good price??

nz_sponge
14-02-2004, 06:10 AM
Hi there, I have the opportunity to buy a 1997 VR4 Legnum at a pretty good price. It is full standard with 54,000km on the clock. 2.5 Twin Turbo 4WD Auto Tiptronic shift Jap import. I can get it for $13000NZD ($4200 UK Pounds) do you people think this is a reasonable deal? I have been looking at one of these cars for a while. Also any comments on the fuel efficiency? Obviously im not looking for a totally fuel efficient car in a V6 twin turbo, but any comments on what a full tank of gas usually does would be much appreciated (I have heard about 400km to a 50litre tank.) I look forward to your comments. Cheers :)

Spirit
14-02-2004, 10:21 AM
In the UK to get one for £4200 is an absolute bargain. Just make sure you check out the standard stuff - if you want more help then read the VR4 Buyers Guide on my website : Buyers Guide (http://www.p.honey.btinternet.co.uk/buyersguide.htm)

As for fuel - well an average 20mpg is common but don't be surprised if slightly lower than this, and if you do some track days then sub 10mpg is to be expected :( - but as you said yourself, we do not buy these cars for fuel efficiency, we buy them for the :-D factor !

Nick Mann
14-02-2004, 10:29 AM
400km to a 50l tank is a bit optimistic in my view, but not too much. I suppose it is easily achievable if cruising at lowish speed in 5th! I fill up when my light comes on, which is normally 45l. (It's a tad pessimistic, there should still be 15l left!) I get 180-200 miles on this, which is 300-330 km unless my maths is very bad! Going on that, the max I would get for 50l is about 360km.

Ultra VR-4
16-02-2004, 01:26 AM
Hey sponge,

Are you definetly looking for a legnum? I have a sedan for sale. The sedans are faster, and save slightly more gas than the legnums... if youre interested give me a call...

http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=25950#post25950

Nigelator
16-02-2004, 03:15 AM
go for the Legnum Man!
they have so much for room in them in the boot!
I dont think the seats in the sedan fold down, although I am sure Mitzi would have really tryed to get them to cuase these cars are their top stuff!

make sure u get one with roof rack! and a back parcel cover(I looked at so many when I got mine in May03 and missed it in the one I brought) damn expsensive to replace.

I cant fault anything in these cars,,,,,,,oh,,,,,,wait steering that sucks but all the rest rock! I paid 20K 4 my '97 back when I got it and I know the market got flooded with them in June-August(great for spares! never ova look that) I do not beleve the price would be that low so go grab! even if u got a bit of work to do to it.

KiwiTT
16-02-2004, 05:48 AM
Go for the Sedan, if you do not need the room (see Ultra-VR-4). I also think the Sedan is more executive/conservative looking.

As for fuel, I average 280-300km from Full to 1/4 in average city driving and the occassion burst of speed to show some "boy-racer" or older HSV/XR not mess with a "real" VR-4.

I paid 15K for mine in Aug '03, plus 2K for a full "D" service (recommended if you don't trust the servicing history)

nz_sponge
16-02-2004, 06:13 AM
Thanks for all the tips, info, comments people. I am pretty set on the Legnum wagon as I do quite a bit of travelling with full car loads + trips to the snow. Will look at getting a full service as I dont really trust the Jap service records. Any suggestions of where to get a top class service in Auckland? Thanks for all your comments, keep em coming!! :-D

KiwiTT
16-02-2004, 06:25 AM
Get the Legnum. Like the sedan, it is one hell of a "wolf in sheeps clothing".

I get mine serviced at "Auckland Motors". This was recommended by the following;

1) Ex-Service Manager, who serviced my previous car, before his dealership closed down.
2) Cards buddy, who regularly updates cars from "Auckland Motors".
3) Work collegue, who gets his car serviced there.

My experience to date has been good.
Full "D" Service $2,000
"Fuel Solenoid" repair $150
Full "A" Service and "exhaust" change $500