PDA

View Full Version : Can you turn the tiptronic around?

thehedgepig
28-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Can I turn the direction of the shifter around? So when I pull back it goes up a gear not down and vice versa? Is it just an electrical switch?

bradc
28-02-2008, 01:20 AM
it is as simple as swapping two wires around, but for the life of my I can't find the article on here showing it. However I found this one on ozvr4

http://www.ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997&highlight=tiptronic+change

Subaru ETA
28-02-2008, 06:18 AM
why do people do this!!!! it the proper way the way it is!!!

bradc
28-02-2008, 06:53 AM
no, the proper way is actually (from first)

down into second
up, across, up into third
down into fourth
up, across, up into fifth

:D

psbarham
28-02-2008, 07:55 AM
yeh its do able, wodjno has done it to his:scholar:

pitslayer
28-02-2008, 10:01 AM
im not a fan of the tiptronic shifting method......so im making a set of flappy padels for shifting, should be in for japfest aswell

william
28-02-2008, 10:19 AM
no, the proper way is actually (from first)

down into second
up, across, up into third
down into fourth
up, across, up into fifth

:D
LOL, you are stirring! (but I agree) /pan

miller
28-02-2008, 10:23 AM
im not a fan of the tiptronic shifting method......so im making a set of flappy padels for shifting, should be in for japfest aswell

Has this been done before? I drove a new merc yesterday that had the tip tronic paddle shifts, soooo easy!!

orionn2o
28-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Yeah paddles would be easy and i've thought about this. Just need to right steering wheel.

I could never change around my shifter now on the box because i'd continually get it wrong!

Nick Mann
28-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Flappy paddles has been done before. When you push the stick over into tiptronic it flicks a microswitch so the gearbox ecu knows you are in tip mode. Then there is a micro switch for up and one for down. swap the wiring for the switches, or wire switches anywhere from those and you can change gear from wherever you want in whatever direction you want!

And Matt - I agree - I'd constantly be pushing the worng way.
However I do agree that standard is the wrong way. Braking pushes you forwards, so dropping a gear should be forwards. Accelerating pushes you back, so changing up should be pulling back.

miller
28-02-2008, 12:06 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AMG-Black-Leather-Trim-Steering-Wheel-with-Paddle-Shift_W0QQitemZ280204053942QQihZ018QQcategoryZ1039 8QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

suppose this would be a nightmare to fit, the boss would be all different? May be trial and error?

Mike

Nice But
28-02-2008, 12:13 PM

Mmmmm must see......../rally

pitslayer
28-02-2008, 04:56 PM
im not putting mine on the steering wheel, when im throwing the car around a track, i want to know where my paddles are and which is which...if its on the columnm then its fixed left will always be on my left to change down, right will always be on my right to change up.

Beastlee
28-02-2008, 05:39 PM
im not putting mine on the steering wheel, when im throwing the car around a track, i want to know where my paddles are and which is which...if its on the columnm then its fixed left will always be on my left to change down, right will always be on my right to change up.

Couldn't agree more with that plan. Would be interested to see the outcome as I like tip but don't like the fact I forget when it's in D and shift into neutral at full throttle!

bradc
28-02-2008, 07:07 PM
that is the reason why I never ever drove my tiptronic ones in auto mode, too easy to screw up, and they were always bloody going into 5th gear at 60kmh!

miller
28-02-2008, 08:03 PM
http://www.retrotekspeed.com/products/smart-shift/smart-shift-with-f1-paddles/paddles-9-bolt.html

Hows this!!!!!

Mike

Davezj
28-02-2008, 09:28 PM
If you have ever watched the touring car racing the gear shift is always push forwad to go down, pull back to go up. which seem the right way round to me.

SGHOM
28-02-2008, 09:37 PM
There was a very useful 'how to' posted by a non member many moons ago.... including a video of how he did it. :afro: took him just a few mins.

Then the site crashed & we lost it. /Grrr

Wodjno
28-02-2008, 09:39 PM
If you have ever watched the touring car racing the gear shift is always push forwad to go down, pull back to go up. which seem the right way round to me.

Totally aree Dave..

Thats 1 thing that i 1st changed on the VR.. It seemed so wrong from day 1..

Acceleration is forcing you backwards and you have to push forward on the Tip Stick. :thinking:

Deceleration is forcing you forward and you have to pull the Tip Stick backwards :inquisiti

No Brainer :scholar:

miller
28-02-2008, 09:41 PM
There was a very useful 'how to' posted by a non member many moons ago.... including a video of how he did it. :afro: took him just a few mins.

Then the site crashed & we lost it. /Grrr

oh noooooooooooo.....damn

the more i think about paddle shift the more i want it!!! HELPPPPP

Mike

Davezj
28-02-2008, 09:48 PM
someone did it with a play ststion paddle shift from a steering wheel. and mounted on the steering column. looked a bit tacky bit it worked.

pitslayer
29-02-2008, 11:04 AM
me and a mate are having 2 custom made for us, wont be as cheap as doing it myself, but it will work properly and i can have the paddles made to how ever i want them to look. i could ask him if he wanted to do a couple of other one offs, but he is a lazy bstrad. and there is only 3 ways you can get him to do the work.
1.nag him constantly, like every day and bring the car down and everything, dont try and tempt him with more money, it just doesnt work?(explain that)
2.turn up when he doesnt have his van, or dissasemble your car in a way that will stop him from getting home and he has to fix it.
3.start it, realise you cant really be bothered to do it, carry on for a bit then "struggle" then shout "mush, giz a hand with this"....which is usually followed by "do i have to"...."yes, it maka nosense"

but i will ask him.....just need my car for a test bed now

Nick Mann
01-03-2008, 11:22 PM
A few years ago I had this email. The link doesn't work, but I haven't tried the phone number:

Please forgive our intrusion, but we feel you may be interested in our
pending launch of a high tech product for the Tiptronic. Please visit our
website for more details: www.wheelspacersrus.vstore.ca

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Kind Regards

Dave Grundy

01772 433310
01772 433311

psbarham
01-03-2008, 11:35 PM
A few years ago I had this email. The link doesn't work, but I haven't tried the phone number:

a quick google reveals this little snippet of info

Lost my money as Paypal are cr*p. [Brick wall] [Brick wall] [Brick wall]

Dave Grundy [pirate] (owner of wheelspacersrus) has pocketted the cash closed his account and the mo fo has f*cked off to Saudi .so Paypal can't reclaim the money £77.50.

bummer