PDA

View Full Version : Gear issues

thecrazywizard
29-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Hi there Iam looking for a bit of advice on a gear box problem (I think its the problem anyway).

Basically Some times when I try and get the gear stick to go into first or reverse it just wont go in.Even when it does go into first it doesnt sound very healthy. Ive spoken to a dude at a garage and hes said he could take the box out and take it to a specillist place to have the gear box repaired, he seemed to think it was the same problem that affects lots of mitsi's,
Basically the guy said it would cost £250 for labour plus the cost of having the gear box repaired (around £150) as long as its the problem he thinks it is. Im wondering if anyone has had a simular problem and what they did about it ( been quoted £600 for a reconed box :bigcry: )
I was gonna have a new clutch put in at the same time as thats what ive been recommended to have done (bout £200 for the standard item) So I guess im looking at about £550-£600 all in all. Is this a good price, is the way im going about it right ? any advice would be apreciated.

ANTHONY
29-02-2008, 06:20 PM
i have a manual and sometime if you have a problem getting into 1st try going into 2nd then into 1st. i think the price quoted seems a bit cheap

Nick Mann
29-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Seems like a low price. I think the problem is the input shaft bearing, but I'll let others confirm that who have suffered with the problem.

bradc
29-02-2008, 08:12 PM
my manual gearbox has always been impossible to put into 1st when it is cold. My trick is to put it into 3rd, sometime I really need to hit the gearstick to accomplish that, then select 1st or reverse, as soon as I drive away I can select all the gears straight away.

Kieran
01-03-2008, 03:16 AM
It's quite common for these gearboxes to be grumpy when cold, particularly on shifting between 1 and 2, though you more often hear of this problem with the FWD boxes.

What is the 'common problem' that the guy knows about? I'd be interested to find out the cause.

Gly
01-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Seems like a low price. I think the problem is the input shaft bearing, but I'll let others confirm that who have suffered with the problem.

ive done the input shaft bearing in mine.
no easier to get into 1st/reverse than it was prior to changing it,

main causes for hard to get to gears,

worn sycro's
old dirty/wrong gearbox oil
bent selectors.
incorrectly adjusted shift cables.

as per the auto's it seams that the manual gearbox is picky with the fluid used.
this is mainly shown when the box is cold, and the problem is no more once warmed up fully,

i recommend you do a DIY gearbox oil change befor handing over any hard earned cash.

bradc
01-03-2008, 10:39 AM
my ST-R was just about impossible to change when I first got it until the engine was up to operating temp.

I got Castrol VMX in there and the problem is pretty much solved. Mitsi's own oil is apparently very good too, obviously just ask for manual evo gearbox oil.

thecrazywizard
01-03-2008, 01:18 PM
thanks for all the replies, I was a little worried about it cause I didnt want to be damaging it any more, Ill try doing the gear box oil and see what happens /thankyou