PDA

View Full Version : Strut brace

Kieran
14-02-2004, 06:30 PM
I've had an enquiry from one of the guys registered with the site (username of Ken).

He's in Thailand and is in need of the VR-4 Strut bar that goes across the two front struts. Can anyone suggest a place to get one from, either new or second hand?

Does anyone know of a spare over here that can be shipped to him?

Big Ian
14-02-2004, 06:46 PM
www.funkyproducts.co.uk may be a safe bet to find one..

Spirit
14-02-2004, 10:27 PM
I also had a message from him and simply replied saying its a standard part on the VR4 of course so just contact his local Mitsy dealer and get one from Japan - told him to let me know if he needed a part number - not heard back.

Ken
15-02-2004, 01:59 AM
Gents,

Thanks you guys on helping me finding out the part in oversea. I have a difficulty in getting to local Mitsu because they are just reorganised, change the shareholder - now manage by GM(I think) not Mitsubishi Japan. So that is why I did not ask back to Pete yet, but will appreciate if you could give me one. I'm obsessed with the Mitsubishi brand one so Cusco is not an option.

Anyway, if anyone sees one of this, please let me know.

Particular thanks to Kieran, my day is better. How about your dinner?

Ken

Danger DANJ
15-02-2004, 04:47 AM
Check out www.japanparts.com and email them a request for a VR-4 strut bar.

Ken
18-02-2004, 04:33 PM
Guys,

Just want to let you know that I just bought one a few hours ago. I was reading a car magazine and found a 1*1" picture of racing car shops. I realised of the strut brace I was looking for in a very small picture. I ran to a shop and beg of having it.

Reasonable price too - about 45 pound. But I need to modify a bit to fit this one in my car.....I think this brace is for Mitsu GTO which its bar is higher than Galant VR4 one.

Will picturise my engine when it's installed and proper cleaned.

Ken :-D

Spirit
18-02-2004, 05:22 PM
Excellent news Ken - don't know if it's as strict where you are but in the UK a strut bar is classified as a mod and some insurance companies will NOT insure them :(

Ken
19-02-2004, 02:29 AM
Excellent news Ken - don't know if it's as strict where you are but in the UK a strut bar is classified as a mod and some insurance companies will NOT insure them :(

Thanks mate for raising a valid concern. I will check with the insurance firm. In Thailand, I think the brace could be counted as accessory which an additional installation must be informed to an insurer if to be covered in the policy - the same as new radio, CD set. Anyway, will discuss with them.

Ken

Spirit
19-02-2004, 02:31 AM
Yeah, but what I mean't Ken was that some will not insure the car if you have one fitted - it may invalidate the insurance so do check it out

Ken
19-02-2004, 04:28 PM
I see your point. In Thailand, the corporate policy is not that strict on this matter like in the UK. I can confirm that brace strut installation is not obstacle to insure a car.

Spirit
23-02-2004, 09:29 PM
Called Mitsy for Ken today.

The strut brace part number is MR287281 and costs £123.91 inc VAT.

None in the UK but maybe elsewhere in Europe or will have to come from Japan

Kieran
23-02-2004, 10:12 PM
That's much cheaper than I thought it'd be!

/Scribbles part number down in the now infamous 'Cunning GLS plans' booklet :devil5:

Ken
24-02-2004, 07:23 AM

Thanks Pete for your kind help. I am really impressed to such a warm friendship eventhough we live so far away. I feel that I am really a part of this VR4 club. If anyone wants to know more info about anything in Thailand, let me know.
Ken

Spirit
24-02-2004, 08:14 AM
Ken

It's no problem mate - glad to help ;)

Ken
24-02-2004, 04:29 PM
Got a quotation from japanparts.com, surprisingly cheap!...incl shipping to Thailand plus service fees.....cost about 55 pound!! However, cannot look over the customs fee/ imported tax.....vary on the weight and size which such heavy stuff would cost more so I reckon 100 pound at the end. Will let my folks consider the fantastic solution of acquiring a new part from this website.

Anyone ever order stuff from this site? Like to know their reliability.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

Ken

John
01-03-2004, 10:32 AM

I may be wrong, and am happy to be corrected, but I think this part number is for the brace only. On top of that you need to buy the brackets that attach the brace to the suspension turrets. Jap web-sites suggest part numbers MR287285 & MR287286, but as I can't read Japanese....

Spirit
01-03-2004, 05:41 PM
Funny that John, Richie and I were talking about atronomical Mitsy prices yesterday (e.g. a new horn is two parts - and you need both - a mere £88 !) and I mentioned the surprisingly cheap price of the brace and we both wondered if it included the brackets then - spooky ! ;)

FTOLTD
06-03-2004, 04:58 AM
i have a front strut brace with brackets for a VR4 if anyone needs one 100 pound

Ken i will be flying to thailand in a few months and could bring it with me if you would like an original one.

Ken
06-03-2004, 04:53 PM
i have a front strut brace with brackets for a VR4 if anyone needs one 100 pound

Ken i will be flying to thailand in a few months and could bring it with me if you would like an original one.

Good day mate,

Thanks for your offer mate and welcome to Thailand. But I already have one which it costs AU$ 100. I could ask local guys who appearantly want this strut brace though I would say that they would not pay even the price I paid. If you have ever visited Thailand before, you would know about low cost of living - no pressure on the price you offered. So you better sell it locally for your best deal. Unless, you may want to exchange with 'real local tour and taste!'. I am willing to provide you info of Thailand that you may want, of course they are not in lonelyplanet. Contact me at thisan75@hotmail.com
Cheers,
Ken ;)