PDA

View Full Version : Terrible sounding engine

Physician
29-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Following on from my visit to see richy rich and changing my engine coolant sensor - I still have a lousy sounding engine when it's cold.

Although the video attached sounds terrible - in fact it doesn't sound THAT bad to the ear.

Performance etc doesn't seem to be affected much - anyone got any ideas what the problem is?

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Movies/MOV00861.mov

Sorry - huge video file - use this sound extraction instead:

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/Audio.mov

The Vee
29-02-2008, 07:26 PM
linky no worky for me, but if probs still exist, may be worth checking your exhaust sniffing device, it may well be chocked up after your over rich running. But shooting in the dark a little. I do have a spare sensor for a VR4 if you want to try it. Trust you have checked all the usuals for air leaks etc. One other check is the Throttle position sensor.

Physician
29-02-2008, 07:47 PM
linky no worky for me, ..........

Umm damn ......... I checked it and it does work Andy. Thanks anyway.

Paul C
29-02-2008, 08:15 PM
it does work just 40mb

richy rich
29-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Ive listened to it a few times but I don't think it's coming though very well keeps braking up. So cant help.

White Lightning
29-02-2008, 11:32 PM
I assume this is not the usual lash adjuster racket then?

(still waiting for the link to download)

White Lightning
29-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Hmm ... that doesn't sound too good.

Have you checked your oil level?
Have you got an oil pressure gauge?

Physician
29-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Hmm ... that doesn't sound too good.

Have you checked your oil level?
Have you got an oil pressure gauge?

Checked oil a number of times - all OK Wayne.

BTW as mentioned previously it does sound MUCH worse on the video than to the ear - the camera seems to pick it up far better ........ for instance you can hear the dump valve in this recording and I have NEVER heard it before (standard one).

Physician
29-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Sorry - I posted a huge video file originally. Here is the sound extracted ......

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/Audio.mov

Physician
01-03-2008, 12:07 PM
>>>>>>> BUMP <<<<<<<<<

Andy and Richy in particular ....... new much smaller audio file in case you can now identify the potential issue. (See first post)

Thanks

psbarham
01-03-2008, 12:22 PM
its a job to hear it clearly from that file, but it does sound like its hunting slightly which is normally a sign of it running rich, might be an idea to get your afrs checked, i don't know if any one out your way has this facility, if not i'm an hour away and can do it for you, if it is running rich then its possibly your lambda sensor.

Physician
01-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Yes, thanks buddy. The sound 'issue' is the very low level rumble but I appreciate that there are other sounds there which are irrelevant to the issue.

Your comments make sense ......... I have described this issue as ' ......... like old fashioned cars when one leaves the choke out by mistake'. So overfuelling would have that effect, especially with all the soot coming out the back end.

I'll see if I can get a better sound recording.

BTW ........ changed the engine coolant sensor because that was the error code thrown up by the ECU ....... BUT, if there was a fault with that wouldn't my temperature gauge on dashboard have shown incorrect readings? It was, and has always been, spot on.

Thanks for the help :)

peter thomson
01-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Is there not 2 separate sensors for temp.One for the ecu and one for the dash or is it the same one.

psbarham
01-03-2008, 12:59 PM
have you had an oil pressure gauge on it? that may throw a bit more light on it. hopefully the pressures fine, i know that means there is another fault, but at least it will mean the bottom end is ok /crosses fingers.

does it do it at all revs or is it just at a certain point in the rev range?

Physician
01-03-2008, 01:18 PM
have you had an oil pressure gauge on it? that may throw a bit more light on it. hopefully the pressures fine, i know that means there is another fault, but at least it will mean the bottom end is ok /crosses fingers.

does it do it at all revs or is it just at a certain point in the rev range?

Haven't had a pressure test done. It does it across the rev range but ONLY when the engine is still cold/cool/warm. When the engine is hot it's fine.

No oil loss and cap is clean on inside - no white/cream froth. Although it sounds c**p I haven't noticed any loss of power/performance.

EDIT: BTW ...... very strong smell of fuel when starting up

bernmc
01-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Haven't listened (@ work as usual), but worth cleaning the MAF if it sounds like a fueling issue...

jpnvr4
05-03-2008, 02:06 AM
I was wanting 2 kno if I have the same rpoblem ... cause I have a stock vr4 , and I also seem 2 have a somewhat load engine idle sound .... send a clip of it from start up ... may have 2 post in on youtube tho .... and like fizz (physician) I have really strong smell of fuel when I start or Idle 4 a while ....