PDA

View Full Version : New MPG record

I-S
29-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Ade, Brad... sorry, but you're not going to beat this one.

140.4 miles

12.51 litres

50.85mpg

:pimp2:

g6acb
29-02-2008, 11:56 PM
Get out of the civic !!!!

WildCards
29-02-2008, 11:56 PM
Hmm, these GDi's are quite frugal then?

bradc
01-03-2008, 12:10 AM
he didn't say it was in his 8G :)

I-S
01-03-2008, 12:12 AM
It was, handed the honda back this morning (only did 44mpg in that, but I was driving it like I stole it).

g6acb
01-03-2008, 01:24 AM
In that case I bow to your mpg'ness... any more details? was this just one journey? on motorways? what speeds?

ANTHONY
01-03-2008, 02:00 AM
140.4 miles down hill?

Kieran
01-03-2008, 02:53 AM
Impressive Isaac. But how on earth?!:speechles

Spirit
01-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Impressive Isaac. But how on earth?!:speechles

He was being towed !

Davezj
01-03-2008, 10:28 AM
40 miles of driving
100 miles of pushing.

in a VR4 anyway

Rambaud
01-03-2008, 10:28 AM
:bigcry: :bigcry:

I-S
01-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Ok, I shall reveal all...

There's not much to it really. Left work and drove up to shell station, and filled with V-power. I've been running V-power for a while to see if it makes much difference. After arguing with them over payment, I left, drove 2 miles down the A62, picked up the M60 and drove around it, with the usual bits of stop/start. Down the A556 onto the M6, and after some stop/start bits there, got going and gave the car 4-5 miles of italian tune up (65mph in 3rd). After that I just cruised down the M6 and M5 at around 60-65mph, down the M50 a little bit then some A-roads out of tewkesbury and pulled into the petrol station at the bottom of the road where my parents live, and filled up again. Thus, attaining the 12.51 litres to fill it back up again, and had covered 140.4 miles from the previous petrol station. Could probably have been a little better if I hadn't done the italian tuneup, or I had slipstreamed trucks or national express coaches (neither of which I did).

I-S
01-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Some numbers:

DickBarton
01-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Very nice...I'm currently getting 0mpg out of my car...mainly because it hasn't moved in 4 weeks - I've turned it over but yet to move it...

Davezj
02-03-2008, 12:31 AM
That is increadable 50.8 mpg is just stupid what car have you got isaac sibson please don'e tell me it is a VR4. if so what are you doing different to me. from what you have described it not that different.

I-S
02-03-2008, 12:35 AM
davezj - it's a galant GDI

g6acb
02-03-2008, 12:54 AM
never one to rise to gauntlet thingies :inquisiti

but your on!!!

Obviously its muvvers day tommorow

My car has no fuel in it at all, so will have to stop at the Total on way to M1. Will fill it till the pump clicks off... wait 3 seconds then again till it clicks off.

is then M1, M62, M60 west, theres a Garage within a mile of the motorway where I will refill as above

so that will be 2 miles A roads 50 odd miles Motorway

The roof rack is off the car, the boot is (for the 1st time ever) empty

Its the 1st of the month, so its sparkly clean after a Bosnian (and at its most aerodynamic) in prep for March's dirty car comp at work after holding on to the trophy for the 4th consecutive month :pimp2:

This is something I have never done before (if it aint empty it dont get filled)

.... but If I get over 44 mpg ill be amazed

I-S
02-03-2008, 01:10 AM
Good luck!

But I might have to try again on my way home too :P

DickBarton
02-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Well, did you beat the record then?

Davezj
02-03-2008, 09:45 PM
what is the best anyone has got in a VR4, mine is 32mpg, all motorway over 80miles or so.

g6acb
02-03-2008, 09:55 PM
no where near, 41 point something, driving over the Pennines in a howling gale.... its never going to happen

Kieran
02-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Okay, so Isaac - Does V-Power make much difference to the GDi then?

I-S
02-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Yes and no.

From the data on the previous page, it doesn't make a huge difference. Getting silly mpg numbers is just a matter of being ridiculously patient and keeping the car in lean burn mode as far as possible.

What is noticeable with higher octane fuel is that the car will stay in lean burn more easily than with 95RON. However, this actually makes the car feel slower because lean-burn comes with 0% torque. You can feel a slight sort of "cough" in the engine when it switches from lean burn to stoichiometric and back again, and that's more noticeable with higher RON fuel because with lower octane fuel it happens as soon as you put your foot down a bit and the car goes straight into stoichiometric mode. With v-power it hangs on to lean-burn for longer, then you notice the switch over.

So, in absolute terms you can probably pretty much match mpg between v-power and normal fuel. However, v-power makes it easier to stay in lean-burn and so a bit easier to get the big mpg numbers if you try. Since you still have to sit at 60mph, dying of boredom, to get it anyway, it's not much consolation. Over general driving mix it still works out around 33mpg if not driven specially or carefully.

Overall, it doesn't seem worth it.

Note, however, that this does not necessarily apply to japan-spec GDIs, which with their different cat, leaner lean-burn mode, etc, things could be quite different.

bradc
02-03-2008, 11:46 PM
vpower is 99 correct?

Kieran
03-03-2008, 12:57 AM
vpower is 99 correct?

Aye.:scholar:

bradc
03-03-2008, 02:37 AM
hmmm, I still prefer the V6 2.5 more :)

Robotnik123
03-03-2008, 03:39 AM
Next time I fill up and go on a long cruise, I will see what I can get for my tiptronic VR-4.

50 Miles per Imperial Gallon will be easy for the fuel miser that is the VR-4 to beat, not!

Wodjno
03-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Nice figures Isaac, althoug i am still sceptical that you have achieved those figures :thinking:

I not calling you a liar :speechles Just that you have only used a small amount of the tank full of petrol and may not be as accurate as first seems :inquisiti

Reason being that unless you have filled the car to overflowing each time(and that means keep clicking on the pump while nozzle is just in hole til it stays level with the filler neck) then there could be a Litre or less of fuel gone back in the tank /yes

I notice on the other figures you show, that the other highest achieved MPG is also on a smaller amount of fuel on the refil..

If you were 1/2 litre short on your fill up, it would drop your MPG to 48.6.

If you were 1 litre short on your fill up, it would drop your MPG to 46.8.

And if you were 1.5 litre short on your fill up, it would drop your MPG to 45.1.

Thats the reason i will only take my MPG figures from a Whole tankfull of fuel 55-60 litres, as the missing a litre will not have such an adverse affect on the average MPG..

Good figures anyway for such a big car /yes

Best i achieved from the 1.8 GDi was 39.8 mpg on a full tank, and that was with Myself, Mrs WODJ and 3 little Wodjies and a boot full of suitcases..

I-S
03-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Wodj - this is absolutely true. It's just a nice comfort figure really.

Also, different pumps have different sensitivities on the click-off. I usually fill up to click-off, then go up to the next £, which was about 60p more (so about half a litre) in this case. I'm sure if I'd pushed it that I would have been able to get another litre in up the filler neck, but I don't normally do that anyway (although it did happen to me recently when a pump wasn't working right...).

But yes, any single tank reading is very subject to error, which is why the long-term average (purple line, last column) is the much more useful bit of information.

Wodjno
03-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Wodj - this is absolutely true. It's just a nice comfort figure really.

Also, different pumps have different sensitivities on the click-off. I usually fill up to click-off, then go up to the next £, which was about 60p more (so about half a litre) in this case. I'm sure if I'd pushed it that I would have been able to get another litre in up the filler neck, but I don't normally do that anyway (although it did happen to me recently when a pump wasn't working right...).

But yes, any single tank reading is very subject to error, which is why the long-term average (purple line, last column) is the much more useful bit of information.

Phew :speechles

I really thought i was gonna get flamed /pan

Glad you didn't misinterpret my reply as is done many times on here :happy:

When i refil, i always fill to the neck.... And while on the subject of click off's..

I had 1 pump where i just couldn't use the Pump on full power :speechles It came out that fast that it couldn't get down the filler neck fast enough and just kept clicking off.. I angled the Nozzle at every conceivable angle, but to no avail.. It's only happened at 1 garage like that and i can't remember where it was /Grrr

But i have had other pumps where i've had click off at half a tank and had to go gentle to the end..

Still good figuresthough Isaac..

I only managed 34mpg on full tank out of 1.8Gdi at weekend.. But Darth was struggling a bit with some of those inclines in the Black Mountains and The Brecon Beacons :speechles

And again it was with full family and luggage and a Hefty toolbox etc

Rambaud
03-03-2008, 11:55 AM
I have not been keeping such accurate figures as Isaac.

I have not tended to fill up completely every time recently - but when I have the average has been ~ 33 m.p.g. Very similar to Mitsi's official figure, IIRC.

The highest I have recorded, which was on a long motorway trip was ~ 38 m.p.g. The lowest was ~ 27 m.p.g. It is very rare for the fuel consumption to fall below 30 m.p.g. - which is pretty good for a big car.

I-S
03-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Indeed, as you see from my data, trips into the 20s are rare, despite commuting in the pennines. Average of 33 is pretty clearly accurate as other factors (such as pump fills, etc) become irrelevant over a long dataset.

bradc
03-03-2008, 07:27 PM
I always fill up right to the top as well so that petrol is sitting right at the top. In the Legnums it has resulted in about 2 extra litres going in, also more consistant in case the pump is slower or faster than the one before.

andrew38
05-03-2008, 03:06 PM
I had the LWB GDi Pajero and on a run could get 27 mpg as long as I kept it below 75 mph.

Mitsy had real problems getting them to work on high sulpher content 95 RON fuel, hence we didn't get them for a number of years. I would hazzard a guess that the 2.4 Jap Spec Legnum/Galant running on V-Power or Tesco 99 ultra low sulphur fuel could better a lower powered euro spec GDi running on 95 ron. This should also stop the carbon problems that plague the GDi's in the throttle body and exhaust ports.

Would I have another GDi, yes now that I know how to look after them.

miller
29-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Did a long run yesterday to Clacton on sea from Nottingham. As i had my parents with me i never pushed it beyond 85mph.

Ive been trying V-power since last week compared with Tesco 99 Ron. So am very pleased with the results.

On leaving i filled up V-Power, two clicks of pump when full.

184.4 miles later i pull in to fill up, again two clicks. Exactly 30 litres.

So by this calculator http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php

It works out at 27.94 mpg. A personal best. previous on tesco 99 best i got was 23mpg. Again i put this down to conservative driving but i do think there is an advantage of V-Power. The needle doesnt seem to plummet like it does once it moves off the full mark!

Mike

Subaru ETA
29-03-2008, 12:24 PM
in reference to the dumb auto click off doing its thing to early - i find that if you pull the nozzle out abit so that that it ca still rest there without holding it, it stops the auot thing from being stupid