PDA

View Full Version : Oil sump plug washer

Robotnik123
01-03-2008, 07:05 AM
Are you supposed to change the oil sump plug washer with every oil change? I know it only costs like a $1.50 from the dealer, but do you really need to bother?

And while we're talking of changing things to be on the safe side, what about changing the water pump, tensioner and bearings when changing the cambelt, is that really necessary? :inquisiti

Ryan
01-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Are you supposed to change the oil sump plug washer with every oil change? I know it only costs like a $1.50 from the dealer, but do you really need to bother?

And while we're talking of changing things to be on the safe side, what about changing the water pump, tensioner and bearings when changing the cambelt, is that really necessary? :inquisiti

OK from my own experience... I've had my car more than a year now and have done several oil changes and not once have I ever changed the sump plug washer - nor have I ever had it recommended to me by MMC or anyone else on this forum. In fact I don't even think mine has a washer anymore - if it does it must be heat fused onto the plug itself.

As for the second part of your question - no, it's not strictly *necessary* but it makes good sense as the components are all easily accessible when you have the engine open to change the cambelt. So there is not much sense (unless you're a financial masochist) in doing the cambelt now and then a few thousand km's down the line you need to fork out another $1200 or so to open the engine again to do the pulleys, tensioner, water pump etc...

Preventative maintenance is the watchword here.

bradc
01-03-2008, 10:41 AM
I don't think anyone cares about the washer either.

As for the waterpump and everything, how many km's are you up to? It is around 80000km isn't it?

Robotnik123
01-03-2008, 10:49 AM
I don't think anyone cares about the washer either.

As for the waterpump and everything, how many km's are you up to? It is around 80000km isn't it?

The car's on 92K at the mo'. Am just asking hypothetically, as I had the cambelt, water pump, etc. all done some time ago, when the car had its engine out to have the head gasket done..

Davezj
01-03-2008, 10:50 AM
i would strongly recomend doing the idler pulley and tensioner pully, and water pump with cambelt. One reason is cost. having to take the cambelt off again is costly just to do a pulley.
The other reason is all the bearing in the pulleys/water pump have been under the load for the last 60k mile, you change the cambelt and suddernly this load changes due to the new belt. the bearings don't like this and tend to give up a shour time after doing the change.
I did the cambelt related pulleys and water pump at cambelt change, but didn't do the alterator of power steering pulleys and my power steering pulley has given now.
This is not a big issue as you can change this easily. but i do know this pulley was perfect before the cambelt change. now it rattles on it bearing. needs to be done soon.

bradc
01-03-2008, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't bother then, that was about 1.5 years ago wasn't it?

TAR
01-03-2008, 11:46 AM
As others have stated, I would change all the parts mentioned if changing the cambelt.

The cost of the parts is not that high, its the cost of stripping the engine down to get at them. One high labour bill and all parts changed againts several high labour bills...I know what I would choose.:thinking:

ANTHONY
01-03-2008, 01:59 PM
i just went to my local dealer for a washer gave it to me free of charge so i was cheeky and asked for two. no problem

Subaru ETA
01-03-2008, 10:36 PM
id say your washer has fused to the plug coz without it you would have a leak!

i changed mine ever second oil change