PDA

View Full Version : how to remove ignition barrel and housing

remy
03-03-2008, 03:26 AM
Hi anyone here know how to remove the ignition barrel and housing off a legnum.. there are these two screw like things that are stoping me take it off the steering coloum, it looks like they are welded in or something but on the underside there is a thread but i have no idea how you un screw them..

can anyone here shed some light?

cheers

Kenneth
03-03-2008, 03:45 AM
Hi anyone here know how to remove the ignition barrel and housing off a legnum.. there are these two screw like things that are stoping me take it off the steering coloum, it looks like they are welded in or something but on the underside there is a thread but i have no idea how you un screw them..

can anyone here shed some light?

cheers

If you want to remove the barrel, you need the key.

Insert the key, turn ignition to ACC. There is a metal pin that looks like a little button, you can see it from underneath the steering column IIRC... should be fairly obvious though. Push this in and pull the key out, the barrel will come out with the key.

To remove the actual clamp that holds the housing to the steering column, your best bet is a hammer and a long and fairly chunky flat head screwdriver. Position the corner of the screwdriver against one side of the dome (these are bolts) area so that it will dig in when you hit the screw driver with your persuadeatron. Tap, tap, tap, tap re-position the screw driver, tap, tap, etc etc until it turns. it takes a while, but it works.

Subaru ETA
03-03-2008, 04:45 AM
as ken said, or a center punch is good too

remy
03-03-2008, 04:54 AM
cheers i will give that ago