PDA

View Full Version : Why Won't My Laptop Connect Wirelessley ???

Wodjno
03-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Recently started using 1 of my Laptops after a long break(Cos i shiited it up and couldn't be bothered to sort it out)/pan

Well the LapTop is up and running working as it should be.. But !! I can't connect Wirelessley to the Internet. If i connect the Ethernet cable it's fine. But without it, it won't connect.. My Laptop picks up the router at full strength.. And when i Ping my IP address all packets are sent and received ??
My desktop works ok through the same router wirelessley and so does my phone..

Anyone any ideas ??

Thanx in Advance :pimp2:

Paul Beazer
03-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Try updating the wireless drivers on the laptop?
Do you have encription on the wireless connection? (If you dont you should!). Does the laptop see the wireless connection at all?

orionn2o
03-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Do you have a MAC address register in your router where only certain MAC addresses are allowed>?

Wodjno
03-03-2008, 02:57 PM
WTF ?? :speechles

Now i am confused ???

Wodjno
03-03-2008, 02:58 PM
I just typed the above post and this 1 Wirelessley ?

Wodjno
03-03-2008, 02:59 PM
I downloaded a Wireless driver update for my Laptop. Then drooped the Ethernet cable out the back of the Laptop, then typed these posts !!

Wodjno
03-03-2008, 03:01 PM
But if i try to open a New browser it won't connect.. ?

This browser i'm typing in now was already open :thinking:

Nick VR4
03-03-2008, 03:05 PM
So its working then

Maybe just needed to sort its self out :speechles

Nick VR4
03-03-2008, 03:07 PM
But if i try to open a New browser it won't connect.. ?

This browser i'm typing in now was already open :thinking:

Hmmm doesnt the browser show the settings of your router if it cant open a page I know some do

Wodjno
03-03-2008, 03:08 PM
So its working then

Maybe just needed to sort its self out :speechles

No Not really..

It only works Wirelessley, if i open up a browser with Ethernet cable attached 1st, then take it out and continue Wirelessley ?

If i try to open a New web page Wirelessley, then it won't open ??

Wodjno
03-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Do you have a MAC address register in your router where only certain MAC addresses are allowed>?

Right ! I googled MAC address cos i had no idea what that mean't :speechles

It said this: *You will need to register all MAC addresses in cases where you have both wired and wireless interface in your system.

Well i typed IPCONFIG/ALL at the CMD prompt as it described and there 2 MAC addresses

1 for Ethernet Adapter for WLAN and 1 for Ethernet Adapter Wireless Network Connection.

So does this mean the Router doesn't know and cannot remember the MAC addresses when the Ethernet cable is unplugged ?

How do i register the MAC addresses with the router for both wired and wireless connection ?

Beastlee
03-03-2008, 07:27 PM
You may only need to register the wireless MAC as it is an additional security feature of the wirelss side, most routers don't worry about ethernet MACs.

As far as I can see your wireless is connecting fine as you can post and use exisiting windows. You shouldn't try to use both connections at the same time as this really confuses the networking routes.

Can you answer a few questions for me please:

1. What operating system are you using?
2. What make is your wireless card? (You can get this from the drivers you downloaded)
3. What router are you using?
4. Can you post the results of your 'IPConfig /All' command here (when wirelessly connected).
5. When you open a new window and it says not connected can you still type an address in (like http://www.clubvr4.com) and go to the chosen page?
6. What browser are you using?
7. What is your homepage set to?

that should be plenty of work for you. :)

Wodjno
03-03-2008, 07:49 PM
You may only need to register the wireless MAC as it is an additional security feature of the wirelss side, most routers don't worry about ethernet MACs.

As far as I can see your wireless is connecting fine as you can post and use exisiting windows. You shouldn't try to use both at the same time as this really confuses the networking routes.

Can you answer a few questions for me please:

1. What operating system are you using?
2. What make is your wireless card? (You can get this from the drivers you downloaded)
3. What router are you using?
4. Can you post the results of your 'IPConfig /All' command here (when wirelessly connected).
5. When you open a new window and it says not connected can you still type an address in (like http://www.clubvr4.com (http://www.clubvr4.com)) and go to the chosen page?
6. What browser are you using?
7. What is your homepage set to?

that should be plenty of work for you.

1. Windows XP
3. Netgear (Sky)

4. Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ***********
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-22-F0-49-A9
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-6F-40-A5-4D
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.5
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 03 March 2008 18:09:08
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 06 March 2008 18:09:08

5. No
6. Internet Explorer
7. www.google.co.uk (http://www.google.co.uk)
8. Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller ? or Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection ???

Beastlee
03-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Interesting that my Dad only uses ethernet because he can't get the wireless on his Sky router working properly, exactly the same problems you have.

Can you try the following in a command prompt for me please then post the results:

1. ping 192.168.0.5
2. nslookup www.clubvr4.com
3. ping 209.85.50.6

also try to browse to 192.168.0.1

I think I see the problem however. You need to go to the following :

Open your control panel
Go to Network Connections
right click the wireless connection and select properties
In the list in the middle of the new window look for TCP/IP settings. Select it and go to properties.
In the new window go to the second set of radio buttons relating to DNS servers.
Choose to manually set them.
Enter 208.67.222.222 in the primary
Enter 208.67.220.220 in the secondary
Click OK on all windows to go back to the beginning.

try the command at item 2 above (nslookup).

I think this may work and I can fix my Dad's too if it does.

Wodjno
03-03-2008, 08:27 PM
/applaude /applaude /applaude /applaude /applaude /applaude /applaude /applaude /applaude /applaude /applaude /applaude /applaude /applaude /applaude

Beastlee
03-03-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm going to ring my Dad now LOL

I don't know why the router is giving the wrong DNS server in the DHCP settings for the WLAN but I guess that fixed it.

Now can you answer my Profec thread, pretty please.

Paul Beazer
03-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Choose to manually set them.
Enter 208.67.222.222 in the primary
Enter 208.67.220.220 in the secondary

Aahh using Open DNS are we?

Wodjno
03-03-2008, 08:41 PM

I don't know why the router is giving the wrong DNS server in the DHCP settings for the WLAN but I guess that fixed it.

Dunno how you worked that out ?? :speechles

But Thankyou very muchly :iloveyou:

Profec thread:inquisiti Is there more input ??

Been away all weekend and on course away for couple days last week.. Looks like i missed it /pan

I'll go searching through the Hundreds of pages of New Posts :D

Hang on ?? Search will be easier :D

Wodjno
03-03-2008, 08:45 PM

The Desktop works OK wirelessley ?? And my Mobile Phone ?? It's just the Lappy that was the issue /Grrr

Beastlee
03-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Paul, yeah they are so dammn fast and I like the proxy search it gives if you type an incorrect address.

Glenn, not sure why but I can tell you it didn't work for Dad. The reason they're free from Sky is because they're useless.

Wodjno
03-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Can i just change my Desktop DNS to Open DNS to speed up internet browsing as well ? Can i input the same as for the Laptop or does it have to be different ??

Wodjno
03-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Paul, yeah they are so dammn fast and I like the proxy search it gives if you type an incorrect address.

Glenn, not sure why but I can tell you it didn't work for Dad. The reason they're free from Sky is because they're useless.

??? Sky are Useless ??

Beastlee
03-03-2008, 09:48 PM
You can change it in the same way and it will be fine. The only increase in speed will be in how quickly it can find the site initially, not the

Sky are useless and the routers are also useless.