PDA

View Full Version : Rear end playing up

pitslayer
06-03-2008, 01:55 PM
/Grrr /Grrr Not happy it seems that the guy who owns the house we live in, and is a monarch of all bum snackers, is killing my VR4. our drive is half mile long up hill dirt track, which has been killing all our cars spending thousands on suspension parts, and our nnext door nieghbour is.
ive had the car under a week now. drove back from Dons lovely, no noises
next 2 days no noises
3rd day, a whiney, grindey sound is appearing from the rear, and getting worse everytime i go up my drive...
now yesterday, went to pull out of a junction put my foot down, nothing happened, the revs went up...followed by a clunk from the rear end and the car shot off....wierd
out on the dual carriageway put my foot down, the revs dropped changed down a gear, the front started to pull, but the back did nothing. then it kicked in, and was doing that all day yesterday.
took a mate out in it yesterday, did a quick 0-60 on a country road, which wasnt that quick, it just felt really laboured on the back....

now this whiney grinding kind of noise is coming from the back, across the whole drive line. jacked it up , tugged the wheels, so its not the bearings...and when i go from park to reverse, it clunks in the rear, and same going into drive....

ive had the car under a week, and because our landlord is a collosal **** and doesnt fix the drive, its destroying my car. can anyone shed some light on this.

Its Dons old car so everyone should know how damn good and maintained it was when Don had it, and for the people who have worked on it should know, that it never did any of the above :( :( :( :(

Kieran
06-03-2008, 02:30 PM
I very much doubt that this has anything to do with your landlord or the approach to where you live.

I think it is perhaps more to do with this:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=315418&postcount=17

Only thing is now i booted it earlier to pull out of a junction and the back stepped out slightly on all the grit on the road now im being told by my passengers there is a knock coming from the rear...

Lillywotsername
06-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Sorry.. Am I being thick here, but Don who? Ancientofmu?

Also like K says, I doubt it is your drive way. Unless your car is extremely lowered it should drive up a drive way quite easily without grounding out even if that is an unkept dirt track. You have to drive them very sedately they aren't off roaders after all.

HJM
06-03-2008, 03:08 PM
We live in a similar situation (possibly worse, as our 'drive' also had two speed humps and a cattle grid in it) and they key is to drive very slowly /pan

Admittedly we have only lived here since November but we are not replacing suspension components on a weekly basis - sounds like you need to just keep the speed down!

J

pitslayer
06-03-2008, 03:15 PM
you really havnt seen our drive, the jeep struggles going up it

HJM
06-03-2008, 03:22 PM
you really havnt seen our drive, the jeep struggles going up it

Well obviously I haven't seen it but you seem to manage to get Jags and god only knows what else up it, so its hardly impassable is it?

However, as you obviously do know how bad it is, maybe you should have bought a more suitable vehicle :thinking:

J

pitslayer
06-03-2008, 03:41 PM
were moving, the landlord is an arse. i drive up there at no more than 10mph.

kieran i dont think it has anything to do with that, as my old man said he could hear it before the back stepped out, and its getting worse. i just want to know what the problem could be.

our drive kills cars. our next door neighbour has gone through loads of stuff for his car, the other mitsubishis have had numerous suspension parts go, the jeep has had the diff play up and ending up being a 1200 quid bill
i will try and get a pic or a video up of our drive

HJM
06-03-2008, 03:47 PM
i will try and get a pic or a video up of our drive

Please don't worry on my account :)

J

rees
06-03-2008, 03:47 PM
However, as you obviously do know how bad it is, maybe you should have bought a more suitable vehicle :thinking:

J

NEGATIVE id never let something like ,my road entrance dictate my car - (unlessi was a brazillian drug load maybe -then a jeep would prob be a good i dea)

what am saying tho is that i wouldntbe deterred from getting my dream car because my roads a bit narrow or bumpy -idontthinkmany people would take that into consideration -if you live in a city then yeah u might get a smart car cos thats your way of live but not cos your street where u live is a bit pokey

pitslayer can you park it anywhere else?- ,maybe ur mumsif she lives near or something ?

rees
06-03-2008, 03:50 PM
were moving, the landlord is an arse.

thats the spirit old boy move the house not the car /boxing

pitslayer
06-03-2008, 03:55 PM
i have banned myself from narrow lanes, to avoid scratching the paint, lastnight i was snapping branches on my drive as they were to close to my car. and like said i would not let where i live dictate what car i have. its taken me like4 years of carefull driving to get to having a VR4, im not going to put it off because someone cant maintain there properties.

my parents are still together, and i live with them. i think its getting to the point where i might have to get the jeep left for me at the bottom, and park the car under the A449 in my tunnel.

WildCards
06-03-2008, 03:58 PM
i have banned myself

Oh please, oh please oh please would you? /thankyou :party2: /bounce /Banana /Poms /woot

pitslayer
06-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Oh please, oh please oh please would you? /thankyou :party2: /bounce /Banana /Poms /woot
ban myself from what exactly? /Grrr btw im not in the best of moods, i have just found an almighty scratch on my car.

rees
06-03-2008, 05:20 PM
/Handbag /catfight /boxing

lets get it on!/STP

patrickstarfish
06-03-2008, 05:44 PM
sounds like the rear diff is on its way out had the same noises from mine had to get it changed in the end

Nick Mann
06-03-2008, 06:22 PM
the front started to pull, but the back did nothing. then it kicked in, and was doing that all day yesterdayHow can you tell that the front end is doing something but the rear isn't?

Spirit
06-03-2008, 06:24 PM
I have to be honest and say if it was me I would have waited to purchase the VR4 until after I had moved. You've already said how many ££££s have already been spent on various cars due to the driveway, so if it has caused damage to the VR4 then the person to blame is yourself for taking it up and down it.

It's a bit like taking a VR4 on track and then moaning that the tyres and brakes are shagged........you expect it before you do it.

pitslayer
06-03-2008, 08:20 PM
i dont wait for anything im far to impatient. On track is different, i expect stuff to break not going up my drive. We will be gone in 2 weeks anyways. And he cant get anyone to move in as there is a health warningog on the property. But this isnt about my drive. Its about the problem my car is making bad noises. I just want to know what to check next and how to check it

Lillywotsername
06-03-2008, 08:23 PM
I don't see the point in trying anything until you move....

The chances of you breaking something else in the meantime from what you say seems very likely.

Just park it up till you move then get all your problems sorted out or you may as well set fire to your cash.

ANTHONY
06-03-2008, 09:33 PM
should had brought a 4X4

TAR
06-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Right cmon you lot, there's a lot of rubbish talked about on this thread, lets see if we can't help a member out with some useful information....

Pits, get someone to sit in the back of the car to try and identify where the noise is coming from. It could be a rear wheel bearing playing up. I haven't heard of anyone having a shagged rear diff so unless its been running without its oils, then this would seem unlikely. If nothing is obviously wrong from a visual inspection I would have the rear wheels off to check the brake discs and calipers for damage.

As was mentioned before, how can you tell its not driving at the rear? Put the car up on 4 axle stands and check that all the wheels have drive.

I'm not the most technical person around but this is what I'd start looking at.

Hope this helps..:happy:

Beastlee
06-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Mine clunks a little if I slow to an almost stop then try to pull away at anything more than 10% throttle.
AS has already been mentioned I'm not sure how you could tell that the front is pulling and the back isn't pushing unless it is dipping harshly at the rear.
Get some one to sit in the boot and just drive at a sedate pace, on a private smooth road of course, they should be able to determine left or right then turn 90degrees and determine front or rear.
Do any AYC lights, etc come on ? if the rear wasn't running at the same rate I would expect the lights to start flickering.

My car makes lots of clunking noises at the rear and it's all down to the things in the underfloor trays shifting as I corner. Have you tried checking under the boot floor to ensure nothing has slipped down into the wheel well? Try taking everything out then going on a run again.

Nice But
06-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Ditto the above Pits...... what sort of noises are you getting? I had my car 3 days on jap part worns......1st hard corner was me going sideways with a 4 wheel drift...... awesome.

If the diff was goosed it would make some orrible sounds, AYC lights would be going disco........ stone stuck between dust plate and disk? had this on a spirited country lane drive in my RX8...... thought I'd killed the LSD, I found the offending stone 3 days later after driving like a granny for those days /pan

Diagnostics 1st....blame 2nd :inquisiti :thinking:

I-S
06-03-2008, 10:30 PM
i expect stuff to break not going up my drive

Leaving aside grammatical assassination of the mother tongue, did you REALLY expect things not to get broken when you already said

our drive kills cars. our next door neighbour has gone through loads of stuff for his car, the other mitsubishis have had numerous suspension parts go, the jeep has had the diff play up and ending up being a 1200 quid bill

Ok... Letting that one go for now, we come to

im not going to put it off because someone cant maintain there properties.

Hmmm. So in other words "I don't care if it gets broken as long as I can blame someone else, but I'm going to moan about it anyway"?

If you love the car as you profess to, maybe you could take a hit on accepting that the rest of the world isn't quite so perfect as the car, and tolerate a bit of inconvenience so as not to damage the car? You can't go around in life assuming that everything is as perfect as you want it to be and then blame someone else when that imperfect world that you refuse to recognise causes some imperfection in your little world.

Oh, and regarding the rear end playing up, try Preparation H.

TAR
06-03-2008, 11:41 PM
Leaving aside grammatical assassination of the mother tongue

LOL at Isaac /pan

our standards are slipping again.

Nutter_John
06-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Oh, and regarding the rear end playing up, try Preparation H.

:iloveyou: line delivered with a prefect level of class , I nearly pished myself with that :pimp2:

Turbo_Steve
07-03-2008, 12:07 AM
I think he was just venting.
If I'd just bought a brilliant car and was suddenly suspecting a massive repair bill, I'd desperately need a vent and some sympathy.

I think perhaps a ClubVr4 "There There" is in order.

As all the sensible (and there are lots here) people have said, don't be too quick to point the finger. Do some decent diagnosis cos you might just be lucky. I don't think there is much your driveway could do to your diff that wouldn't show immediately on the outside of the casing: bear in mind that AYC, despite it's mechanical fragility when poorly serviced / towed etc, is massively robust for what it is: The Evos are designed to take a fair bit of punishment, after all.

pitslayer
07-03-2008, 12:25 AM
im going to swap the tires around tomo if that doesnt work im going to get it up on some ramps

psbarham
07-03-2008, 07:56 AM
is the spare wheel/ toolkit tight in the back? make sure theres nothing in the side pockets either.

Wodjno
07-03-2008, 09:14 AM
From the noises you state.. It sounds like your diff is on the way to letting go.. Prolly missing a tooth or 2...

I'd get it looked at as soon as...

if you need a New Diff then drop Mark4 a message, he'll be able to sort you out wit 1 /yes

pitslayer
07-03-2008, 11:08 AM
everything is tight in the boot, its to constant to be anything rattling around in the boot.
it did it once last night, put foot down, nothng happened then it picked it up.
also when i left the pub last night(not drinking beer) it changed into 2nd, then when it hit 3rd it launched forward then backed off

i dont want my car to break :( :( :( :(. Don has car keeps it in maticulous condition, i get car, follow in Dons footsteps, first day had it up in the air checking it all over. its had 3 washes and polishes this week, oil checked every 2 days. havnt gone above 85mph if that. and it starts to go funny :( .....and i could pretty much say without speaking to Don, he hasnt noticed it before, as Don told me every single little problem with the car, and i havnt found any other problems, apart from what he has told me. (which is why i now refer to him as Honest Don /lol )

Kieran
07-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Have you checked the ATF level? Lurching on changes is often caused by incorrect ATF level.

pitslayer
07-03-2008, 11:39 AM
hmmmm, will check that tonight...best sort out my club membership and get into the guides section

Lillywotsername
07-03-2008, 12:05 PM
hmmmm, will check that tonight...best sort out my club membership and get into the guides section
Make sure you check it on the level... not on your wonkey driveway.

AncientOfMu
07-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Check the voltage to the fuel pump.

the relay may have gone screwy again.

A permanent fix would be to hard wire the fuel pump to the battery.

Turbo_Steve
07-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Is it a metallic clunk (like a nut being dropped into an empty paint tin) or a dull (BUMF) sort of thump, like someone throwing a football at the bottom of the car?
If its the latter, it's your diff bouncing in it's mounts, and usually means the diff is okay, but the engine / gearbox are suddenly giving it a lot of power all at once.
Had this on a scoob, where a sticking propshaft bearing meant that it'd take a few moments before it would spin up, shock loading the rear drive train and THUMP as it struggled to turn the wheels suddenly.

Beastlee
07-03-2008, 01:49 PM
I thought it was a whining noise he was hearing, the clunk was just the once.

Paul Beazer
07-03-2008, 02:07 PM
First thing i would do would be to check ATF and AYC fluids (including diff fluid). With the car being sat around for a few months doing very little perhaps there has been some leakage where seals arent being kept moistened by the oils?

Im not pointing the finger at you or your drive (or Don for that matter), but i think you need to get things looked at mechanically sooner rather than later. I cant see the rear drive knackering up after a couple of weeks going up and down a bumpy drivve!

pitslayer
07-03-2008, 02:46 PM
right i have driven the car today, and i had the rear seats folded down. and its defintaly the left wheel, it soundslike someone has left a sticker on a tire, but it sounds like its coming directly from behind the wheel.
Don i think you might be onto something there, with the rear seats folded down, i can hear what i guess to be the pump, from the drivers side of the car. and it sounds to be surging, it isnt a constant vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....its a vrrrr....vrrrr...vrrrrr..vrrrrr...
where would i find the fuel pump relay?

White Lightning
07-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Have you checked your ATF and AYC fluid levels?
When was the AYC fluid last changed?

AncientOfMu
07-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Have you checked your ATF and AYC fluid levels?
When was the AYC fluid last changed?

ATF full flush And AYC fluid changed at Nick Manns lash adjuster weekend.

AncientOfMu
07-03-2008, 03:03 PM
right i have driven the car today, and i had the rear seats folded down. and its defintaly the left wheel, it soundslike someone has left a sticker on a tire, but it sounds like its coming directly from behind the wheel.
Don i think you might be onto something there, with the rear seats folded down, i can hear what i guess to be the pump, from the drivers side of the car. and it sounds to be surging, it isnt a constant vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....its a vrrrr....vrrrr...vrrrrr..vrrrrr...
where would i find the fuel pump relay?

I think the pump relay is behind the dash somwhere. get a multimeter and check the voltage going to the fuel pump at idle and WOT. if its not getting 12V at WOT you will be down on power.

The Aftermarket fuel pump thats in there is quite noisy anyway. But it was brand new not long ago.

the only reason im thinking maybe the fuel pump voltage is because the lack of acceleration then her suddenly picking up and surging forward is very similar to what i had when the Voltage was Faulty.

Nick Mann
07-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Pits - have you disconnected the battery recently? Is the gearbox ECU struggling to learn its settings?

pitslayer
07-03-2008, 05:09 PM
it has had 2 resets since i bought her.
whats the best way of setting the gearbox up? and can you stop it from being so 4th happy...30mph the gear, not 4th lol

miller
07-03-2008, 05:15 PM
it has had 2 resets since i bought her.
whats the best way of setting the gearbox up? and can you stop it from being so 4th happy...30mph the gear, not 4th lol

Nah, you got quite a few miles until it settles down, will take longer if your style of driving differs significantly.

Took mine just over 90 odd miles before i stopped noticing the learning curve of the box

Mike

pitslayer
07-03-2008, 05:31 PM
ive done 600miles since ive had it /lol

rees
07-03-2008, 05:40 PM
i was gonna ask about this learnin lark how does it work ?
does it need to be in manual to learn when u change gear or is it just recording how lead footed u are ?

Lillywotsername
07-03-2008, 05:52 PM
The gearbox ECU normally learns your driving style after about 250 miles. I would suggest that for that amount of time you drive it normally in drive rather than in tiptronic ( if you have a auto box obviously) as other wise it thinks "sport mode" is your norm and will adjust as such.

The worst thing I have found on ours, is when Richy resets the ECU then takes it out for a hard thrash in tip.... third gear is normally the last one to adjust to when he does that. But if it is drove "normally" it learns both of our driving styles fairly easily.

As far as going into 4th at 30mph... that to me is normal. If you don't want it to... for what ever reason.... try driving in tip mode... It won't change up then unless you tell it to.

Rees.... Like any onboard computer.. I would say that the gearbox just responds to your driving style... there is certainly no manuals involved.

Hope this helps

Kieran
07-03-2008, 05:54 PM
is it just recording how lead footed u are ?

Basically, yes. It's also worth noting that it will *always* adapt to your driving style over time - For example, my car gets into 5th as quickly as possible. However, if I go on a blast for about 5 minutes, it'll start holding the gears for a little while afterwards - just incase I'm not done being naughty! /Devil5

It also doesn't learn whilst in 'tip' - so you can't "teach" it.:scholar:

Lillywotsername
07-03-2008, 05:57 PM
It also doesn't learn whilst in 'tip'
I did wonder about that... :scholar:

Kieran
07-03-2008, 06:07 PM
I did wonder about that... :scholar:

Okay, fess up Lilly - who's telling you what to type?!/pan

Lillywotsername
07-03-2008, 06:13 PM
No One, Honest Sir..... I am indeed alone... See I do pay attention in class occasionally ;)

pitslayer
07-03-2008, 06:29 PM
right i have found the problem. passenger side rear cv joint, is clicking and has some play in it, so next question, how much am i forking out for one?

Kieran
07-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Inner or outer?

pitslayer
07-03-2008, 07:03 PM
outer

Wodjno
07-03-2008, 08:06 PM
????

CV joint causing the car to Lurch forward ??? :inquisiti

pitslayer
07-03-2008, 08:16 PM
no, i think the lurching might now be down to the fuel pump relay

AncientOfMu
07-03-2008, 09:19 PM
no, i think the lurching might now be down to the fuel pump relay

Just hardwire the pump straight to the battery. tbh its something i should have done but i never had the fault re-occur after temporarily hardwiring it. The fuel pump itself should be absolutely fine.

bradc
07-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Kieran - I was thinking the same thing, damn Lilly you're a clever girl now aren't you? Giving advice on auto trans learning and a helpful post in the previous page too!

Lillywotsername
07-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Kieran - I was thinking the same thing, damn Lilly you're a clever girl now aren't you? Giving advice on auto trans learning and a helpful post in the previous page too!
/bestpostever

Paul Beazer
07-03-2008, 10:45 PM
right i have found the problem. passenger side rear cv joint, is clicking and has some play in it, so next question, how much am i forking out for one?
So not your rough driveway at all then pits?!!:thinking:

pitslayer
08-03-2008, 01:20 AM
it wasnt there on the way back from dons. And its getting worse every time i go up and down the drive

Nutter_John
08-03-2008, 01:27 AM
then don't firckin go up and down the drive and it will stop :P

WildCards
08-03-2008, 09:00 AM
then don't go up and down the drive

/duh /Hmmm /notworthy

Ahh yes, the common sense approach. Always a good one I find.

DickBarton
08-03-2008, 11:47 AM
How fast do you drive up the driveway? I've found dricing at Miss Daisy speed (10mph) tends to get me over the roughest of stuff without any problems, but it does take longer...

pitslayer
08-03-2008, 12:35 PM
barely touch on 10mph has to be slower. Checked again today the inner rear passenger cv joint has play and makes the outer click. So i need an inner cv joint

Kieran
08-03-2008, 01:08 PM
barely touch on 10mph has to be slower. Checked again today the inner rear passenger cv joint has play and makes the outer click. So i need an inner cv joint
Give Camskill a call - They'll need your VIN number and will probably be a damn sight cheaper than Mitsutwitty.

richy rich
08-03-2008, 07:30 PM
I would remove the drive shaft first clean the joints up and re grease and refit and if it sorts your problem then look at a new one.

Nutter_John
08-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Give Camskill a call - They'll need your VIN number and will probably be a damn sight cheaper than Mitsutwitty.

About 30 quid cheaper than Mitsi , I know cos i got a quote for one the other day

Beastlee
08-03-2008, 08:45 PM
There should be a little play in the inner joint, surely.

richy rich
08-03-2008, 08:47 PM
There should be a little play in the inner joint, surely.
Yes both inner and outer should have some play.

Beastlee
08-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Oh and pits, if the front brake dust shields are still in place just make sure they aren't touching the edge of the disc. I fixed a ticking CV joint by wire brusing the excess rust off the edge of the disc then moving the shield away slightly.

pitslayer
10-03-2008, 03:35 PM
ill try that first, simple options first before spending a million quid for a cv joint :(

pitslayer
10-03-2008, 05:36 PM
i had a light come on the dash earlier. i was going down a hill, at about 30mph, in a straight line. as its a 60 and straight i put my foot down, and the car faultered, then a light started flashing up, which had a picture of a car skidding on it, which i guess is the traction control.....why would the traction control kick in, at 30mph on a straight road down hill?

AncientOfMu
10-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Because one or more of the wheels lost grip?

richy rich
10-03-2008, 05:48 PM
i had a light come on the dash earlier. i was going down a hill, at about 30mph, in a straight line. as its a 60 and straight i put my foot down, and the car faultered, then a light started flashing up, which had a picture of a car skidding on it, which i guess is the traction control.....why would the traction control kick in, at 30mph on a straight road down hill?
Nothing unusual the ecu is seeing a problem with traction then backing off power.

I get it in 1 place on the way home so I just turn T/C off.

Kieran
10-03-2008, 05:54 PM
why would the traction control kick in, at 30mph on a straight road down hill?

It's designed to. It is a sensitive system but more than likely as Don says - a wheel lost grip. Normal behaviour and nothing to worry about.

Beastlee
10-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Mine did that on the way home, perhaps the WOT in first on a damp road had something to do with it.....
nearly put my head through the windscreen as it cut power! Stupid TCL

pitslayer
10-03-2008, 06:25 PM
thats the thing though, it wasnt slippery, i was only on half throttle, im sure its fine though, never had traction control, or have it kick in before

Kieran
10-03-2008, 06:34 PM
thats the thing though, it wasnt slippery, i was only on half throttle

As far as you were aware it wasn't slippery. Chances are the rain had bought some diesel out the road. I've even had TCL flash when going over a wet grate. :scholar:

richy rich
10-03-2008, 06:45 PM
i was going down a hill, at about 30mph, in a straight line. as its a 60 and straight i put my foot down

It does not have to be wet for it to kick in.

You have got a powerful car with a lot of technology in it to keep you going in a strait line and out of ditches.

The ECU is reading a down hill and a half a foot of throttle and sensing it could loose grip so you get the TCL kicking in.

pitslayer
10-03-2008, 06:51 PM
i just found it wierd considering ive gone down, there in pouring rain, same line, booted it foot flat to the floor. must of been some mud on the road.
although went to the new house today, im having the side of the garage with the little cupboard, for polishing kit. and it has a decent drive, and its not a complete arse to get to.