PDA

View Full Version : One reason why we have AYC

Physician
06-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Just a gentle reminder ..........

The writer just had one of those a s s clinching, heartbeating, adrenaline packed moments when gardens, houses and parked cars all started hurtling towards him at the same time. The outcome was inevitable as his mind conjured up images of a beautiful silver VR4 embedded in the front lounge of some poor unsuspecting homeowner.

.......... There is a junction at the end of my road which now has the ubiquitous set of traffic lights. As I turn right I can see them and if they are GREEN it's a good idea to get through them or it's a long wait. I accelerated hard (as usual) and prepared to slam on the brakes at the last moment for the 90 degree right turn onto the main road.

As I approached at close to 60 mph (I guess) the lights started to change - no problem as I was just passing through them .... I slammed on the brakes. Ohhhhhh! Nooooooo! ........ My damp leather soled shoe slipped off the brake pedal! I started braking again but now I HAD to start turning right or I was going to hit the opposite curb and fly into someone's garden and probably lounge.

Thank gawd for the AYC which kept me out of any trouble whatsoever ........ and I started wondering why I had almost sh|t myself! /pan

Lillywotsername
06-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Richard you should know better than that at your age.....

You are supposed to be careful at your age.:iloveyou:

Glad you came out of it unscathed though Hun

Spirit
06-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Rich you madman..........good to hear you (and the car) were unhurt.

ANTHONY
06-03-2008, 09:53 PM
time for some seat covers

bradc
06-03-2008, 10:14 PM
damp leather soled shoe? wtf, thats your problem

Nick Mann
06-03-2008, 10:48 PM
You big tart! /pan

So now you have calmed down and can laugh about it..... Was the video camera on at the time? :P

Turbo_Steve
06-03-2008, 11:15 PM
?? Just out of interest did you accelerate, then (which would have meant the AYC could really do it's thing) or was it just as much the ASC as the AYC generally keeping you out of the scenery?

Nice to have such a brilliant car, ain't it?

Physician
06-03-2008, 11:57 PM
?? Just out of interest did you accelerate, then (which would have meant the AYC could really do it's thing) or was it just as much the ASC as the AYC generally keeping you out of the scenery?

Nice to have such a brilliant car, ain't it?

Fortunately I had the presence of mind to ever so slightly accelerate again as I was turning sharp right ........ myself and others have discussed this in the past - if you have the balls to do it, then you are correct in that the car should keep you safe (appreciating that there ARE limitations). It's interesting that I learned this 'on track', particularly on the Craner Curves where it's so easy to lose it in the wet BUT if you keep the power on the VR4's ASC and AYC will keep you pointing in the right direction.

Nick ........... camera was off as I was dashing out briefly to get some potatoes! Grrrr /pan

rees
07-03-2008, 12:05 AM
yeah , ayc brilliant innit:oops: oh yeah i remmeber mine doesnt work :( tried to get it fixed thinking t was the switch but took it down euro spec for a fat service and tappets replaced and they said it might be the ayc ecu as everything else has been replaced
but until i get that sorted ill just have to read about your stories:(

Paul Beazer
07-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Rich you are fortunate! I started reading this thinking "he's stacked it big time"

Glad it all ended well though!

White Lightning
07-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Glad your OK right ... and AYC is brilliant :thumbsup:

pitslayer
07-03-2008, 02:50 PM
i have only got one AYC light up on mine yet, i dont have the balls at the moment to floor it around corners, like i would my old golf...part of my mind is going
"slow down, slow down, slow down, your in an estate car, estate cars cant take this corner at this speed" i just cant push myself past it yet /lol

AYC is brill though, and the traction control...the whole VR4 in general is amazing

elnevio
07-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Pulling out of work the other day fairly quickly (i.e. small gap!), I managed to get the tail out! Both scary and exhilarating - I was smiling all the way home! God bless AYC...

DickBarton
07-03-2008, 08:31 PM
So is that almost 60mph in a 30-zone? Can't think of many locations where traffic lights sit outside of 30-zones...

Turbo_Steve
08-03-2008, 01:23 AM
I have to confess I find the TC a bit annoying: it cuts in when I am expecting the tail to become interesting, and just saps all the power. I've only managed to get 3 AYCs with the TC switched off.

I think I can see why they didn't fit AYC lights to the Evo........too much of a challenge!