PDA

View Full Version : My Options ??

VR-4ever
07-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Hi

My 11/1996 VR-4 Galant Type S arrives soon and want to know what my ECU options are.
What ECU will mine have in mine?
Can I upgrade this with a newer Auto Ecu?

Just have read about people saying it improved power,drive,economy etc I would be happy with that!!!

P.s Have any of you guys removed your Speed limiter? How? Is it worth it? Any other mods needed for safety etc e.g tyres/brakes

Nick Mann
07-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Many speedo converters remove the limiter. (Well, acutally, they offset it to 180 mph instead of 180 kph, but that'll do!)

I'm not sure if changing the ECU is a sensible thing to do. If you are adding fuel control and boost control, definitely don't bother.

VR-4ever
07-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Many speedo converters remove the limiter. (Well, acutally, they offset it to 180 mph instead of 180 kph, but that'll do!)

I'm not sure if changing the ECU is a sensible thing to do. If you are adding fuel control and boost control, definitely don't bother.

1) Recommend me a Speedo converter that will offset to 180mph & where to buy it from

2) So an ECU from a 2002 Auto Type S will not fit 7 benefit my car in any way as others have described?

Iam totaly new to this VR-4 experience so people may need to spell things out a l.i.t.t.l.e :scholar:

bradc
07-03-2008, 10:16 PM
you can put a facelift ecu in and it will make a difference, or you can just get a boost controller and Apexi AFC which will give you much much bigger gains.

Nick Mann
07-03-2008, 11:37 PM
My facelift Auto ECU has been read and compared to a prefacelift auto ECU. There was no obvious difference in the maps. I have not yet seen what the ECU does differently to reduce the power in the prefacelift auto. Certainly, those who have modified the boost and have a piggyback ECU for fuelling seem to reach similar results off either ECU. I think it is fair to say that if you are mapping and boosting your car using aftermarket products, then there is no need to change the ECU.

One of the best speedo convertors for the dosh is found at JDM Performance. They have a banner on this site. Look for item number 748. There is an article on fitting in the members area, and a discount available with JDM too! (Although the discount doesn't apply to the convertor!)

Sydo
08-03-2008, 03:53 AM
you can just get a boost controller and Apexi AFC which will give you much much bigger gains.

Cheaper too!

VR-4ever
08-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Cheaper too!

Provide me links & prices !
Is it plug & play or will it need tro be tuned?
What gains will I get with a Boost controller & Apexi? Any one running it here.

Nutter_John
08-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Yep lots of people do , suggest you have a serach around as there are so many posts about these topics

typical is to push the boost up to around 0.9 bar which should be good for around 300 ish

Sydo
09-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Provide me links & prices !
Is it plug & play or will it need tro be tuned?
What gains will I get with a Boost controller & Apexi? Any one running it here.

A stock facelift ECU is plug and play - but expect to pay up to 600GDP plus taxes.

Anything else will need to be tuned.

Manual boost control could be fitted for less than 25GDP with gains well above what's possible with a replacement stock ECU.