PDA

View Full Version : HT Ignition leads

sanct
07-03-2008, 09:53 PM
What kind of improvements will I be looking at with upgrading my leads?
Am I correct in thinking that these 'KV85 (8.5mm) Magnecor' are a worthwhile upgrade? If so are these the right leads as the only option was for a 96 and mine is 2000 facelift?

:thinking:

cheers

Physician
07-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Sanct ......... I'm awaiting a link for HT leads at this very moment (from another Member) - as soon as I have it I'll let you know so that you can check if they have yours as well as mine (Pre-facelift 1998). I would guess they are exactly the same.

Wodjno
07-03-2008, 10:08 PM
What kind of improvements will I be looking at with upgrading my leads?
Am I correct in thinking that these 'KV85 (8.5mm) Magnecor' are a worthwhile upgrade? If so are these the right leads as the only option was for a 96 and mine is 2000 facelift?

:thinking:

cheers

The leads will not actually give you any improvements over the OE leads !

Unless your OE leads are actually not performing properly.. ie degradation of the insulation, resulting arcing or the cores have broken down resulting in the ignition pulse not being suppleid fully..

That aside.. if the car has done plenty of miles ? It won't do any harm to change them and will negate any future problems that time would normally bring..

peter thomson
07-03-2008, 10:09 PM
In this link it says from 1996

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?id=628780

sanct
07-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Sanct ......... I'm awaiting a link for HT leads at this very moment (from another Member) - as soon as I have it I'll let you know so that you can check if they have yours as well as mine (Pre-facelift 1998). I would guess they are exactly the same.

Cheers Phys
Here's the one I've found,

http://www.ferodo-brakes.co.uk/pages/pricing/applications/magnecor-leads.asp

sanct
07-03-2008, 10:11 PM
The leads will not actually give you any improvements over the OE leads !

Unless your OE leads are actually not performing properly.. ie degradation of the insulation, resulting arcing or the cores have broken down resulting in the ignition pulse not being suppleid fully..

That aside.. if the car has done plenty of miles ? It won't do any harm to change them and will negate any future problems that time would normally bring..

Cool. 90k + miles probably should invest in some new ones.
Thanks

Physician
08-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Cheers Phys
Here's the one I've found,

http://www.ferodo-brakes.co.uk/pages/pricing/applications/magnecor-leads.asp

Lol. I was given the same link - sorry.

Kieran
09-03-2008, 01:22 AM
Before you make a choice regarding ignition cables, you may wish to read this thread:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19936

The Vee
09-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Not sure which thread to reply in!! But Kieran's articles and thoughts make interesting reading along with those links. Have given this a lot of thought today and tried to find all sorts of info searching the web. To my mind, yes, the Magnecor does "appear" to be quite high resistance but I cannot see these leads contributing to detonation by themselves. If the original cables were poor and then these new leads coupled to a plug in a high heat range then perhaps yes. But only because it's delivering a strong spark to a hot plug. If the leads were giving any problem, surely this would deliver a late spark which in effect would retard the timing and making detonation very unlikely. The leads themselves cannot deliver an earlier spark than when told to do so by the coil pack which gets it's signal from the ecu etc etc.
On the plugs, that to me is more concern that the heat ranges may not be comparible. So today took all six out for checking. Been running the same Denso IK20s (NGK 6 on chart) and although the gap is definatly now bigger, they were very clean with no signs of overheating (phew) To be safe though, gonna stick in a set og NGK 6 range. Don't think I've modded the engine enough for the 7, just the occasional bit of extra boost.
The Magnecors are also going in (already arrived) so will report back if any problems do arise.