PDA

View Full Version : BHP Facelift v Pre-facelift

Physician
07-03-2008, 10:10 PM
As a matter of interest, does anyone know where Mitsubishi claim to have increased the BHP from 260 to 280 on the facelift? (Which electronic or mechanical system/part has given the extra 20 bhp?)

g6acb
07-03-2008, 10:15 PM
I think AderC was trying to get the answer by pulling all the info out of pre and post lift ecu's - dont know how he got on?

As far as I am aware, the difference is an small increase in boost and a different fueling map in the ECU, nothing mechanical

Nick VR4
07-03-2008, 10:17 PM
I think AderC was trying to get the answer by pulling all the info out of pre and post lift ecu's - dont know how he got on?

As far as I am aware, the difference is an small increase in boost and a different fueling map in the ECU, nothing mechanical

Yeap it was an updated ECU

Nick Mann
07-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Hmmm...... I have still not seen any definitive information on this one. AderC has compared my facelift Auto ECU to a prefacelift and the maps appear to be the same. However, other people have swapped ECUs and claim there is a difference.

Some people have stated the boost level is lower on pre-facelift autos than the rest, but again, no-one has yet convinced me that the fluctuations are not just fluctuations between 10 year old cars.

It would be great to have a properly substantiated case with evidential backup.

bradc
07-03-2008, 11:47 PM
The only way of doing that is getting a stock prefacelift auto without any mods, and swapping in a facelift ecu and dyno'ing them on the same day after resetting the ecu each time

Nick Mann
08-03-2008, 12:07 AM
That's the ultimate way, but I'm not sure it would necessarily show what the difference was? I would be happy to see any evidence, but as it stands, there only seems to be "he said that it felt better" or "his boost was higher as stock". The only evidence I have seen is AderC comparing downloaded maps. That doesn't prove there is no ECU difference, but it does seem to prove that the maps are the same.

VR4 MAD
08-03-2008, 03:06 AM
Right, this is just going to muddy the issue somewhat, so sorry in advance........../pan

Now if you follow this link (http://www.mines-wave.com/english/CATALOG/ECU/VX-ROM_MITSUBISHI.htm) to the Mines ECU remapping page you will note that there are only two types (or different) listings for our ECUs, ignoring the fact that Galant and Legnum have separate enters in the table.

The enters are, "VR4" and "Super VR4". Does this mean the Supers do indeed, have a different ECU from both the pre and post facelifts, implying the pre and post are the same.

Or, it could mean, that by Super, they mean all pre-facelift ECUs? Does this then imply a difference between pre and post facelift ECUs........../pan

Short of e-mailing Mines and asking, we are just guessing.

At one point, I had the chance of getting a cheap pre facelift ECU to give Mines to remap, but as I've a post facelift car I was going to e-mail them to clarify whether I needed the correct ECU for my car type (facelift) or if their remapping over wrote everything anyway, meaning it made no difference, but never got around to doing so.

Would still like to know though, as I've seen a couple pre facelift ECUs since but hesitated not being sure if I would be wasting my money.

The price of the remap isn't cheap either................. /Grrr

What do you guys make of this info.................... :inquisiti :thinking: :speechles

/toycar

psbarham
08-03-2008, 08:56 AM
a thousand pounds :o for a generic map :o :o i bet thats a big seller ......NOT!!!!!

Rally205
08-03-2008, 11:07 AM
The post facelift cars have a bigger throttle body I believe and I think the boost solenoid is also different. I do not believe that the ECU's have any difference other than between manual and auto.

Spirit
08-03-2008, 11:25 AM
How about the part numbers ? Don't have caps to check

Are the part numbers the same for a pre/post manual and different for a pre/post auto ?

The Vee
08-03-2008, 12:06 PM
If I recall correctly the part numbers are different. If you do a search somebody listed the different ECUs. Think it was Rally205 or zentac.

bradc
08-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Kenneth also posted that thread with the differences, but didn't go into the maps of them or anything

CANDEE
10-03-2008, 12:47 AM
Right, this is just going to muddy the issue somewhat, so sorry in advance........../pan

Now if you follow this link (http://www.mines-wave.com/english/CATALOG/ECU/VX-ROM_MITSUBISHI.htm) to the Mines ECU remapping page you will note that there are only two types (or different) listings for our ECUs, ignoring the fact that Galant and Legnum have separate enters in the table.

The enters are, "VR4" and "Super VR4". Does this mean the Supers do indeed, have a different ECU from both the pre and post facelifts, implying the pre and post are the same.

Or, it could mean, that by Super, they mean all pre-facelift ECUs? Does this then imply a difference between pre and post facelift ECUs........../pan

At one point, I had the chance of getting a cheap pre facelift ECU to give Mines to remap, but as I've a post facelift car I was going to e-mail them to clarify whether I needed the correct ECU for my car type (facelift) or if their remapping over wrote everything anyway, meaning it made no difference, but never got around to doing so.

Would still like to know though, as I've seen a couple pre facelift ECUs since but hesitated not being sure if I would be wasting my money.

The price of the remap isn't cheap either................. /Grrr

What do you guys make of this info.................... :inquisiti :thinking: :speechles

/toycar
I have a spare one you can use :P /rally

Rossco Type-S
10-03-2008, 07:27 AM

The Mines chips are awesome... my prefacelift had one that upped the boost as well as remapping the fuel injection etc. Another benefit was it allowed for a massive HKS airfilter without worrying about power loss from heat (guess it overrode the MAF). It was a completely different car (also had a cat back 3" Fujitsbo exhaust though).

Beastlee
10-03-2008, 11:29 AM
The Mines chips are awesome... my prefacelift had one that upped the boost as well as remapping the fuel injection etc. Another benefit was it allowed for a massive HKS airfilter without worrying about power loss from heat (guess it overrode the MAF). It was a completely different car (also had a cat back 3" Fujitsbo exhaust though).

No ECU could reslove the issue of hot air with an indicution kit. It's physics, the hotter the air is the less dense it becomes and therefore you get less in. The only way to reslove hot air being taken in is to provide a cold air source or a hooooge FMIC and water misting.