PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Anyone know what is needed to get through SVA?

eddie_w
15-02-2004, 11:18 PM
Hi chaps ( and chapesses if there are any),

I have bought a Legnum VR4 from Japan, and it arrives in early march. I have been quoted £1500 by a local firm to get it through SVA. This seems extortionate to me! Anyone know what I need to change/fit to pass SVA?

I know that there is a device that converts the speedo signal from KPH to MPH, and that it fits in line from the gearbox sender to the speedo head, but where do I obtain one of these wonderful gizmos? Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers, Eddie

calum
16-02-2004, 12:16 AM
miles per hour
foglight
fuel filler neck unleaded restrictor

That's about it for these cars. Depends how strict your local station is.

http://www.euro-spec2000.co.uk/
or
http://www.importsolutions.co.uk/SCU/SCU_make.asp

try searching on google for more.

Calum

wirdy
16-02-2004, 01:07 AM
Ditto Calums recommendations, especially eurospec-2000. thery're really helpful.
Also see
http://www.protech-uk.co.uk/limit.htm. Very helpful too.

As long as you're reasonably competant in taking things apart and putting them back together, I can't foresee any dramas. Saying that, the work on mine was done already when I bought it!.

Worth noting that the separate fog-light is only required for the SVA. Once you've passed that you can remove it and your car willl pass the annual MOT with twin filament bulbs in the existing tail-lights. Some people just leave the additional fog-light fitted, but it's an eye-sore so if you're going to take it off then affix it with a screw clip rather than drilling your rear bumper.

Hope the car is all you want it to be.

dcuk
17-02-2004, 01:16 AM
You can get your car done for just over 500 inc. VAT and the actual test.

warrior40
03-03-2005, 10:09 AM
hi eddie just brought mine in from japan went through sva 2 weeks ago can let you know the costs involved .mine cost aprox 70 quid for bits +the cost of fitting them
should know that cost in the next week test was 180
reg warrior 40

bernmc
04-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Here are some prices for you (From Charlesworths SVA, which is at Donnington). Very helpful bunch. (Sorry no pound signs as my laptop is U$!)

SVA test 180.00
SVA prep 350 + VAT. This includes Speedo conversion/de-delimiting, fog light -either slimline or flush fitting, fuel restrictor, conversion of the odometer reading to miles (so if your car has 50000km, the odo will read 31000 miles). They'll also do things like put a set of UK spec wheels and tyres on for the test if needed.

Other options:
MOT 42
UK Registration 38 + Tax disc + 25 admin fee
Toad Cat 1 280 + VAT (includes central locking)
Underseal around 100

DIY approach:
Speedo convertor: 60 + VAT
Fog Light+Switch: 25ish + VAT
Fuel neck restrict: 15ish + VAT
which comes to around 100 ex VAT.

Then you need to do the labour yourself (AFIK the SVA has started to get more strict about the std of work - you can't just have a couple of wires dangling from the fog light - they have to be run to the switch properly.) If you fail the test, it's another 30 quid for a retest.

The other disadvantage of DIY is that although the odo will count up in miles from the time of the conversion, it'll be added to the original km reading.

So you can probably save yourself 250 pounds if you do the work yourself, provided you do it properly, and don't need a retest. You'll also have to sort out your own tyres etc.