PDA

View Full Version : Map-ecu2 Heeeeelp!!!

JJVR4DominicanRepublic
10-03-2008, 06:11 AM
Hi guys! Its been a while since my last post , but theres always something that comes up that you can´t deal with and hope you get a hand with. so here it goes:

My car is a 1997 Galant VR4 Type-S(automatic). A couple of days ago I finally got my MAP-ECU2. I also bought the boost solenoid so the computer managed boost as well. AFCNeo and Greddy profec b spec 2 boost controller were replaced by this.

Now the problem: I installed the mapecu by the book, but I cant seem to be able to fine tune the vehicle. its been about 3 days now and all i´ve been able to do is get the car to stay in idle and to SLOWLY roll in vacum up to 2500rpm.

I was just wondering if someone that has this apparently awsome EMS installed could help me with the settings (fuel, timing, o2, boost etc)

the car has:
-BIG front mount Intercooler
-EVO 560cc injectors
-walbro 255 fuel pump

ANY HELP AT ALL IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. I REALLY WANT TO BE ABLE TO USE MY CAR AGAIN!!! /pan

CHEERS!! :happy:

other mods dont affect the fuel management.

bradc
10-03-2008, 08:09 AM
slightly off topic, what did it take to get the 560cc injectors in there?

Eurospec
10-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Mapping them is far from a walk in the park, and it is time consuming.

You need a wideband minimum to measure the afr and tune it in. Given that you have larger injectors the vast majority of base maps out there will hardly start the car.

I would be very tempted to install the map 2 in self learn with your afc etc in there and get yourself some values to start the mapping process.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Ben.

JJVR4DominicanRepublic
10-03-2008, 01:20 PM
slightly off topic, what did it take to get the 560cc injectors in there?

why is it off topic? as for the injectors , all it took was getting the right plugs and adding separators to rise the fuel rail a bit, plus longer screws.

JJVR4DominicanRepublic
10-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Mapping them is far from a walk in the park, and it is time consuming.

You need a wideband minimum to measure the afr and tune it in. Given that you have larger injectors the vast majority of base maps out there will hardly start the car.

I would be very tempted to install the map 2 in self learn with your afc etc in there and get yourself some values to start the mapping process.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Ben.

Hi. This is what i thought... I just didin´t want to face it. But there is one thing though... you are telling me to put the KVF back in there? because there is one slight problem, since the injectors are almost twice as the original ones, if there is nothing controlling them the car will run extremely rich, will this be good for the learning of the MAP ECU??? Cheers!

Nutter_John
10-03-2008, 02:14 PM
do you have safc or any other fuel control

as for the injectors which ones did you get as the biggest i could get was 530cc with the correct impedance

Gowf
10-03-2008, 03:03 PM
If your running 560's then yeah it'l run rich as hell on the standard map. But what ben is saying is have you had it running with these injectors using your afcneo? if so then you can use the map2 in self learn mode.

What basemap are you using? If you have a decent vr4 basemap then you can just reduce the entire map by a certain amount, but as ben has said you will need some wideband to give you the afr reading. If you do go down this route though you will need to be incredibly careful, dont reduce it too much to begin with, as its always better to remove fuel than to be trying to franticly add it.

It's 550's in mine, but im running bigger turbos.

JJVR4DominicanRepublic
10-03-2008, 04:01 PM
do you have safc or any other fuel control

as for the injectors which ones did you get as the biggest i could get was 530cc with the correct impedance

Hi. I sold my afc neo /pan anyways I will try and tune it with a wideband.

As for the injectors , they are EVO8 injectors 560cc (low Impedance)

JJVR4DominicanRepublic
10-03-2008, 04:02 PM
If your running 560's then yeah it'l run rich as hell on the standard map. But what ben is saying is have you had it running with these injectors using your afcneo? if so then you can use the map2 in self learn mode.

What basemap are you using? If you have a decent vr4 basemap then you can just reduce the entire map by a certain amount, but as ben has said you will need some wideband to give you the afr reading. If you do go down this route though you will need to be incredibly careful, dont reduce it too much to begin with, as its always better to remove fuel than to be trying to franticly add it.

It's 550's in mine, but im running bigger turbos.

this is definetely a great idea , since i no longer have an afc i will try to reduce the basemap. Thanks!

Nutter_John
10-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Hi. I sold my afc neo /pan anyways I will try and tune it with a wideband.

As for the injectors , they are EVO8 injectors 560cc (low Impedance)

Silly question but have you fitted inline resisters becasue the stock ecu is high impedance , and if you run low impedance injectors on a system designed to use high then you will burn out the ECU

I may be able to provide a base map but need to chat with someone first

JJVR4DominicanRepublic
10-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Silly question but have you fitted inline resisters becasue the stock ecu is high impedance , and if you run low impedance injectors on a system designed to use high then you will burn out the ECU

Nope I haven't installed inline resistors. these injectors have been on my car for a year now. first used withthe SAFC then with the AFCneo and now with the map ecu.

Please do provide a map if you can. I would highly appreciate it. I live 17hrs away from you on a plane so I don't think it will be a competitive problem that i have your map /pan thank you very much. Cheers! :happy:

Eurospec
11-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Running those injectors without power resistors is likely to cause damage though mate. The drivers will not like that.

Cheers,

Ben.

Nutter_John
11-03-2008, 10:12 AM
As you are a full member on this site I will provide you a copy of a base map for bigger injectors , this will be provided with NO support and NO garentees that it will not blow your engine up .

But it should work as a starting point , drop me a pm with your email adress and i will sort it out

JJVR4DominicanRepublic
12-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Running those injectors without power resistors is likely to cause damage though mate. The drivers will not like that.

Cheers,

Ben.

Hi ben,

According to my tuner, my car had low impedance injectors and the ones I installed are low impedance EVO8 injectors as well. He showed me the resistor pack in the galant , same as in his EVO8. I don't know if the JDM galant(mine) is difefrent from the UK version in this aspect. please make it clear for me , i don't wanna #^&$ my engine /pan

Nick Mann
12-03-2008, 06:16 PM
There is no such thing as a UKDM 8g VR4. They are all JDM. So no difference in anything injector related. I have never measured the resistance of the injectors, so have no idea about the high/low impedance issue, but there's a lot of knowledgable peoples info in this thread!

Hope that helps.

JJVR4DominicanRepublic
13-03-2008, 05:17 AM
There is no such thing as a UKDM 8g VR4. They are all JDM. So no difference in anything injector related. I have never measured the resistance of the injectors, so have no idea about the high/low impedance issue, but there's a lot of knowledgable peoples info in this thread!

Hope that helps.

thanks nick! I will measure it tomorrow. But I have to say, the 530cc map that john sent me was GREAT to start with , I tuned my car today 600-7500rpm 8psi boost and its perfect all the way. The wideband showed perfect readings /rally I'm really glad this worked. in about a week I will tune with VP 116 fuel to 19PSI and will let you guy know how it went. Thanks everybody again. Cheers!:happy:

Catalan
23-11-2008, 12:54 PM

stock ecu will work correct with low ipedance too :D