PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with it now?

Brind
17-05-2003, 09:48 PM
Drove up to Japfest fine!!! cruising at 80, 90, first time I've drivin it any distance especially at any proper speed.

Driving home, I did the same, driving happily about 80, 90 again.
I then notice the AYC on the far right alight, I haven't really drivin it at night with the lights on either so I was curious whether it was always alight but I hadn't noticed it before.
I turned my lights off and the AYC stayed on so it triggered straight away there was something wrong then..:rolleyes:
The car drove smooth as anything, no vibration no nothing INSERT INTO post VALUES (apart from the normal firm ride).

The my dad says.. "can you hear that?" I couldn't hear anything, he said it was a rattling sound coming from the front right wheel somewere, so I put my foot down to just under a 100 and then I heard it too.
The rattle could only be heard above 70 and then only be him around this speed.

Carried on driving anyway, and went to get some petrol about a mile from home, when I started the car up again the AYC light came on as usual and the went off..
The rest of the drive home is only speed of 40 at the most.

So whatever it was it appears to be the AYC rattling somehow, perhaps a sensor or something which triggered the light to come on when you hit 80 ish again.
I'll be driving it up to London tomorrow which is another 150miles+ so I'll see what it does again.

Basically what is the rattling? I've heard you guys mention the ball joints, or whatever joints around the wheel hub before, my car will 50,000 in a couple of thousand miles more and these said joints usually need attention then.
Could this be the problem and if so whould this also turn the AYC light on?? the three levels of assitance aren't lit just the RED AYC light.
Can it be fixed easily without taking weeks?

Brind
18-05-2003, 11:34 PM
Been up to London today, about 250 miles round trip.
And the AYC light has been on most of the time, not from startup, but from the first tightish bend I'd guess.

I can now hear the rattle sound from the drivers side at 70, onwards.

It sounds like a sensor or something similer has come loose around the front right wheel area.

Car drives perfectly in a straight line, can even take my hands off the wheel for ages, and drives faultlessly around the corners.
The AYC is just ON, and I have this sound.
Once the light comes on it stays on until I swith the engine off and then back on.

Nick VR4
19-05-2003, 04:34 PM
sounds like the connection is loose
My mates Evo 6 AYC pump has failed and the lights are on and off like a whores draws

Brind
19-05-2003, 08:34 PM
Cheers Nick.

I took it to my local Mitsi dealer today for them to check out.
They put it up on the ramps etc and used the fault finder whatsname and it read several times, AYC pump.

So they reckon the pump is on its way out, which they said would cost about £1500 or there abouts! :D INSERT INTO post VALUES (nervous laugh).
Although it will be done under warranty so I couldn't care less.

They must have reset the ECU aswell, because the car was running on normal 95RON unleaded before and now I'm using OptiMax, the power wasn't noticable, but today when I guess they reset the ECU the boost levels have risen... and F**K!!!!!!!!! IT SHIFTS!!! dunno how much power it was down to but it has certainly improved!!!

I raced a BMW yesterday, well he was in front and kept speeding off lights and junctions etc, I was behind all the time but not pushing it but at one point he pulled as if he wanted to know what I was, as I'm sure it was for my benefit.
As we approached an incline on the motorway, he pulled over so I floored the pedal to show what I can do! needless to say I had 20 or 30 on him in no time but it didn't feel all that great even though I thought it was quick.
But today, if only today I tried that!! DAMN! these cars are quick!
So reset your ECU and many you will find some extra bhp!

Anyway my pump is dying so I've now got to book it in to be done.:Cry1: oh well.

BraindG
19-05-2003, 08:45 PM
Poor car :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

hope its not in for to long!

Brind
19-05-2003, 08:59 PM
Yeah, it has had a rough life of late.:INSERT INTO post VALUES (

The dealer reckons a pump failure on these is very rare, so hopefully you guys won't have the problem.

pjjohnson
20-05-2003, 12:43 PM
I have had the same problem with the red AYC warning light - it originally started when I was doing a long motorway journey.
Its been like it for about 30000 miles, on and off. The dealer says the pump needs replacing INSERT INTO post VALUES ( at about £2000, its expensive up North !) but I don't trust them, their fault finder couldn't give a fault code number. The dealers just want to take your money and run.

I took the car to TDI in London who read the fault as code number 82, which is a pump system failure - not a pump failure, so it could be something as simple as a loose connection or a sensor. Further investigation required.

Simon
20-05-2003, 06:48 PM
*********A rare thing!!!!!*************
Ive just had my pump replaced by Mitsu....took 1 week to confirm fault, two weeks for them to try and patch repair it by changing the fluid and checking seals...then finally they ordered a pump and took two/three weeks to arrive..then 4 days in the garage.....

May be you want to tell your garage that its not a rare thing...as our cars are "sister" cars and have roughly the same mileage. See what they say to that.:headsc:

pjjohnson
20-05-2003, 07:50 PM
Simon, was it done under warranty or did you have to pay ? Dare I ask how much

Brind
20-05-2003, 09:01 PM
I took it into my local dealer yesterday and they said it was the pump according their testing gear.
But will welcome a different suggestion from a proper Ralliart dealer.
My car came from Cambridge, a good 140 miles away.
But I have one closer which it is booked into now.

They reckon the pump will be delivered next day and fitted in a day.... well.. no complaints so far! I've only had good experiance.

The guy yesterday said the pump problem isn't very common the Galant VR-4's but did mention they are prone to problems on the EVO.

I'm getting a knocking sound from the front right wheel area which I wouldn't have thought could be the pump unless something has broken off or something or the sensor on that wheel is defective............:shrug:

The guy in the normal Mitsubishi dealership said about £1500 but the Ralliart guy said £2000

Either way I'm sure as hell glad I'm not paying for it!!!! I'd remove the light and sell the bloody thing!

EDD
31-03-2006, 06:54 PM
I bought a 1996 Legnum VR-4 with TYPE HA TEIN Suspension from an import dealer in Newcastle Upon Tyne. Within 3 weeks of owning it (1000 km covered) I found part of the suspension spring seat locking ring on the floor under my car, so I put it up on jacks and had a good check over all the suspension. I found that the sping seat locking collars on all 4 corners had corroded through to the point of dropping off and one of the rear springs had corroded through and cracked. Took it to a local garage who priced me up some Tein Super wagon sus. Ended up paying out £1,045 for full lot imported from Japan. Warranty company wouldn't pay out as was due to corrosion and garage I bought VR-4 from would only pay £200 towards the cost, UNLESS I could find a price for some second hand Tein sus. So far I have never been able to find any and had to settle for their poor £200 contribution. Since then I've just found out that 3 wheel bearings have gone and my Turbos are on the way out (loud squeeling/whining sound on acceleration). Pretty bad considering I've had it 3 months and was sold to me with 12 months MOT and just serviced!! Bunch of cowboys!! BE WARNED!! Never buy from A1 Performance centre in Newcastle Upon Tyne!!!! or should I say A1 NON Performance??!!?? I just hope I dont get this problem too!

Nick Mann
31-03-2006, 11:16 PM
EDD - I don't understand why you have posted that here? Surely you want to put that in a new thread in the UK area, under chat or dealers?