PDA

View Full Version : Help Pls - Gearbox Problem 0n Vr4

IN-NEED-OF-HELP
11-03-2008, 08:12 PM
hi
as i am new to this forum thing please bare with me...

i have a 1997 legnum vr4 tiptronic
it has been unused for a while now
when i took the car out the other day i set off from a junction and the engine just revved for a second or two then jumped into gear and off i set @ 1000mph
interesting as there was a 16 ton truck heading towards me at the time
it has now done the same thing a few time and it is a little concerning

any info would be greatly appreciated
kind regards

Wodjno
11-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Check the fluid levels in the gearbox.. Level surface, car running and gearbox oil hot..

And colour !

IN-NEED-OF-HELP
11-03-2008, 08:55 PM
hi

thanx for that
wot level should i be looking for
regards

Wodjno
11-03-2008, 09:05 PM
hi

thanx for that
wot level should i be looking for
regards

Somewhere on the Gearbox dipstick would be good for a starter.. But preferably on the Hot mark :D

Nick Mann
11-03-2008, 10:22 PM
PMSL @ Wodj!

As the man says, though, fluid level has to be check number one. And is almost certain to be the problem.

The other thing that sometimes catches these boxes out is if you keep changing your mind on the throttle. Once the car is rolling, it will want to be in second on zero throttle, but will want to kick down into first if you floor it. Change your mind and the gearbox is then caught changing the wrong way and takes a couple of seconds to catch up.

thecustomer
11-03-2008, 11:51 PM
... colour

clear, red is good

brown, khaki sludge is not good

hth

Will

bradc
12-03-2008, 06:44 AM
Nick and Wodj are right on the money. Fluid change is what you want to do

IN-NEED-OF-HELP
16-03-2008, 09:47 PM
thanx for the info guys much appreciated

IN-NEED-OF-HELP
08-04-2008, 08:01 PM
hi again
does it matter that the car has just had a new battery fitted - just that i have seen people mention FUZZY LOGIC
do the levels want correcting and then the car running for a certain amount of miles to reset the autobox /ecu memory

again any info highly appreciated
regards

IN-NEED-OF-HELP
08-04-2008, 08:02 PM
also can i just top up with standard ATF or does mitsubishi recommend a certain make

cheers

Nutter_John
08-04-2008, 08:07 PM
yep there is a standard fuild from mitsi ( Diamond Q I think ) BUT there are much better fuilds available , the majority of people on here use AMSoil atf which is real good stuff , just have a serach around for AMSoil and you will see lots of praise .

Yep if you have disconnected the battery the G'bos will take a few hundred miles before it settles into your driving style

give me a shout if your looking for somewhere to change the fuild for ya

IN-NEED-OF-HELP
08-04-2008, 08:14 PM
cheers mate
as i am not sure of the fluid type already in the box can i just top it up with standard ATF or should i drain it and start again with AMSOIL
if so approx how much does the car hold

cheers again

Nutter_John
08-04-2008, 08:16 PM
the fuild will probably be the standard stuff , the box holds 12 litres of atf , but you can only drian 5 litres from autobox the rest needs to be pumped out

to buy 15 litres of AMSoil is around 180 without club discount

IN-NEED-OF-HELP
08-04-2008, 08:44 PM
so i guesss a top up with standard oil is in order - LOL

cheers mate

IN-NEED-OF-HELP
08-04-2008, 08:45 PM
hope this works as i am loosing the will to live and a bus pass is looking every so attractive

Nutter_John
08-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Hmmm not oil ATF , go to mitsy and get some off them

where are you based ?

IN-NEED-OF-HELP
08-04-2008, 08:49 PM
near leeds but am will to push car anywhere
especially off a cliff at mo....

ferret2002
30-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm having exactly the same problem, where do i check the oil level? and do i need a new gearbox oil filter?

how do i fill the oil?

I know i sound like a complete noob but everyones gotta start somewhere /pan

Nutter_John
30-04-2008, 08:03 PM
The OIL level is on the left hand side of the engine bay , the TRANSMISSION FUILD level indicator is between ther battery and the air box , there will be a white plastic handle with a hole in it

You also need to fill the AUTOBOX via this dipstick hole

ferret2002
01-05-2008, 07:47 AM
brilliant thanks for that - i will head to mitsi in stevenage today for some oil :)

Nutter_John
01-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Well if need any help then let me as I run a small garage looking after VR4's and I anint all that far from Stevenage ;)

Kieran
01-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Be careful when taking your gearbox fluid level. You need to do it was follows:

Drive around untill everythings at normal operating temperature.

Stop. Leave engine running.

Cycle through all gears whilst stopped (P>R>N>D>>1>>2>>D>N)

Return to neutral.

Take the reading. The level should be between the 'HOT' marks on the dipstick. I would take the reading several times too - It's a bugger to see the fluid unless it's knackered!