PDA

View Full Version : e39a 4wd 4ws

gassa1963
17-02-2004, 08:04 PM
Hi all, just got myself one of these. 1988 model, any others with this model?
Have a question if anyone can help. As tmeperature guage starts to rise towards normal the engine seems to loose power, hesitates when extra throttle applied. It stays like that on and off until I am able to accelerate hard in 2nd gear. Then sometimes comes back after partial (low throttle) driving. Temp sensor has been rewired throttle sensor adjusted so that 5v appears at full throttle position, plugs are new. What kind of readings (volts) should I be getting fram airflow sensor. Might have to book it in to have diagnostics test done. Problem is it doesn't do it evewrytime.
any help with this appreciated.
Got a set of belts to fit, cam,balnce,aircon etc. want to get it running right first then look at tuning upgrades etc,
Thanks in advance for your help,
gary

KiwiTT
17-02-2004, 09:23 PM
Don't have one, but just a thought, Have you looked at the "Oxygen Sensor" or something similar.

gassa1963
18-02-2004, 07:42 PM
checked emisions on gas analyser at work. at fast idle, 2500 rpm, lamda reading is 1.01 co is 0.02 hc is 112ppm and afr is 14.7 to 1, this is checked with no load on the engine, i.e vehicle in neutral handbrake on. Cat helps a bit with these readings, first thing to go when it runs right, but o2 sensor would show as wrong lamda or afr. Unfortunately that is the only test i have at work ather than a volt meter.
Problem seems more obvious as temperature comes up to normal. Disconnected battery today for about 45 mins to see if ecu resets semed better coming home than it normally does, see again in the morning.
Because of the age of the car I can remove cat without worry too much about the emisions when it gets MOT'd.
Thanks for the reply,
regards
Gary

KiwiTT
18-02-2004, 09:17 PM
Good luck with your Diagnosis Test. Seems like the best option. It's a good looking car "shape wise". I had a similar shape previously.

calum
18-02-2004, 10:32 PM
Try the lancer register - they have a lot more experience with the 4g63 engine.

Calum

gassa1963
19-02-2004, 08:02 PM
Don't want to tempt fate but since resetting ecu yesterday car seems ok.
Keep checking lancer forum and galantvr4.com latter is mainly us based theirs came with turbos as standard on the 4g63 e39a model, lacky s**s,
Thanks for replies,
regards,
Gary

liva
24-02-2004, 09:00 PM
I own a 6g galant gti also so if you want any help or advice just let me know,your problem sounds a bit like the auto choke sticking on.

Japmetal
29-02-2004, 02:17 PM
I have the exact same car - except mine is a 1990 on a H ! :D

I also had running problems with mine, which came and went in sort of the same way and eventually got to the stage where the car sometimes just wouldnt fire. It turned out some of the capacitors on the ECU had worn out through age & started leaking, causing the problems. A new ECU from Mitsubishi would've been in excess of £1000 but my mate has a good knowledge of this stuff & managed to fix my old ECU for about 20 pence !

Granted, you might have solved your problem, but it may be worth giving the ECU a visual check just in case, so you can catch it & fix it before it gets too bad and maybe eats the circuit board :uhoh2:

see here (http://www.tmo.com/howto/ecu1g/caps.htm) for the guide I used to check & fix this problem.

Glad to finally find another UK enthusiast of these cars - I've never even seen another GTi model in my area [North Wales] :(

liva
29-02-2004, 10:13 PM
How about posting some pics,not seen any decent 6g gti's anywhere.

Japmetal
01-03-2004, 12:50 AM
You wont find one here either :$ mine is in dire need of a good clean - although I was a good boy & cleaned my windows inside & out this afternoon; Now I can actually see where I'm going, BUT I found I have numerous tiny chips in the windscreen AND dodgy vertical scratches on my door glasses, so kinda half thinking about replacing most of the glass in her now :undecided

Will get it cleaned up & photographed soon, now I know it has an adoring public :p

gassa1963
08-03-2004, 08:34 PM
Still sems ok after reset, touch wood. Only seen 1 other 4x4 in this area and only a couple of 2wd gti's. had a 2wd 1.8 previous to this. Car is silver and totally stock at the mo. Also discovered that battery cable was not secure hopefully cured that one as well. Car seems so advanced for its age pity there are not more of them in the uk. saw some on men and motors being used in rallies in late 80's before the evo came into being. Try to get some pics and see if i can get them posted on here
Thanks for the replies
rergards Gary

Japmetal
09-03-2004, 08:35 PM
I have pics, info, allsorts of tidbits here for these cars; I COULD launch into a full 'brief' history of the early 90's Mitsubishi rally history right now, but I'll spare you the ordeal :p

The 4G63T [for Turbo, incase you cant guess !] was originally released in the Galant E39A shell labelled 'VR4' between 1990-93, until they replaced the Galant with the shorter-wheelbase Lancer Chassis & the same engine and so the Evolution was born :-b

Funny thing tho; ANY Evolution engine up to and including Evo III will fit STRAIGHT into a Galant 4WD ;) Starting with the Evo IV, the engine is still the same but turned through 180 degress for reasons best known to the 'Bishi design team :shifty:

You'll also need the wiring loom, ECU, turbo plumbing etc to make it work, of course, but the actual engine-into-engine-bay bit is really easy since the cars and engines were built to fit together

SO, who fancies a [relatively] easy 240Bhp then ? :-D

gassa1963
12-03-2004, 08:29 PM
looks like I spoke too soon about it running ok, started playing about again yesterday :( Would like to hear about these cars, if you can spare to tell me, privete mail or whatever. Any way back to more head scratching or maybe just go with evo 1 2 or 3 swap. That might open a few eyes whn scooby drivers think they have something special :$
Regards Gary

Japmetal
13-03-2004, 03:44 PM
hmmmmmmmm

Mine has a similar problem too; not terribly bad, but you can feel there's something missing in the performance dept. !!

No firm ideas yet, have an inkling the air flow sensor may be dirty/ faulty but we'll have to compare notes as we go & see if we can solve this between us !

gassa1963
13-03-2004, 06:52 PM
Checked all voltages into sensors, all ok. Might have a word with some one i know see if he has a fault code reader to help identify faulty sensor output. Disconnected battery to reset ecu again and has been ok today, so annoying coz when it runs ok it runs really well.
Air flow sensor was one of my thoughts but as i say input voltages are what they should bem
Let you know what i come up with, if anything
Regards Gary

Japmetal
15-03-2004, 08:23 PM
I had a thought about this today !

I was changing my thermostat a month or so back when I noticed that some of the vacuum pipes meet in a junction just under where the rad hose meets the thermostat housing [you wont notice this unless you look, however - I spooted it because I had the top of the housing moved out of the way !] and that one of them had become deteriorated & split and weas therefore not making a proper seal

Snipped the end off, reconnected it & Bob's your uncle it cured most of the dodgy running problems I'd been having. I thought at the time I'd better pop down to Demon Tweeks & get some new hosing to replace the whole vacuum pipe network but never got round to it; I wonder if the problem is recurring on me/us ? will find out tommorrow [too dark now]

liva
16-03-2004, 11:07 PM
I have also been experiencing running probs lately ie eratic idling,bit of a flat spot between 2-3000 rpm.Cured the flat spot i think,changed air flow meter have a look 2morrow regarding idling