PDA

View Full Version : Clutch slipping, time to upgrade!

Mante
18-02-2004, 06:21 AM
I have heard a rumor that one of the Evo clutch setup has the same bolt pattern and also the same spline to be used in our Vr4's. Does anyone know exactly which one of the Evo's? And also where to get them from

wirdy
19-02-2004, 01:27 AM
Not sure, but I'd also appreciate any clutch info out there. (Not that I need it desperately now, though)
A fact of life for use manual owners.....we'll need a new clutch at some time in the future with the amount of power we have on tap, they don't last forever!!
The standard plate must be up to the job, as I haven't heard of any early failures on this forum.

Mante
19-02-2004, 04:31 AM
Im waiting on a response from 2 people as well as one from Exedy. They have a very strong customer base support here in the US, there twin plate system has got my eye *they also have a triple plate* once I hear the final word I'll move into the next phase...paying for it :( :rolleyes5

Mante
20-02-2004, 01:41 AM
ACT needs the spline size, disc diameter, and tooth count. They have model for the 6a12t supports 400 ft lbs of torque PERFECT!!! Now after more research hopefully its usable!

If the rumors are true about the Evo 8 clutch O.E parts are dirt cheap

This month they are on sale @30% off here are the discount prices.

MN132206 Disc $93.08**
MR980846 Cover $112.13**
MR145619 bearing $35.22**

**Indicates sale prices good thru 02/29/04

EdmundVR4
20-02-2004, 03:17 AM
Thanks for the info. As far as I know, the Evo clutches look very similar but will not work, according to my mechanic who has a lot of experience with Evo 3,4,5,6 & 7. Right now I am using an ACT clutch disc for the 3rd gen RX7 & it is an exact fit. Works just fine, but I am quite interested to know if ACT has anything specifically for the 6A13T (clutch disc, cover & flywheel) as I will have to change the clutch sometime.
Keep us posted. Thanks,
Ed
PS ANy feedback on the TopSpeedPro1's Short shifter after you fitted the new bushings ?

Mante
20-02-2004, 03:56 AM
Thanks for the info. As far as I know, the Evo clutches look very similar but will not work, according to my mechanic who has a lot of experience with Evo 3,4,5,6 & 7. Right now I am using an ACT clutch disc for the 3rd gen RX7 & it is an exact fit. Works just fine, but I am quite interested to know if ACT has anything specifically for the 6A13T (clutch disc, cover & flywheel) as I will have to change the clutch sometime.
Keep us posted. Thanks,
Ed
PS ANy feedback on the TopSpeedPro1's Short shifter after you fitted the new bushings ?

I just came across some notes you told me about earlier today :) Im looking at the ZX3-XT00 kit it has a torque capacity of 471. Did you also use the ACT flywheel for the same gen rx7 or the stock one off the Vr4? Was there any modifications that you had to do in order to use it with our 6a13/w5m51 setup? Oh yea do you remember which model # of the act clutch that you went with?

As for the bushings, Im still waiting to hear from the guys I ordered the shifter from. I have to admit that one they have been on for a couple days all of the stiffness I experienced has gone away.

EdmundVR4
20-02-2004, 07:09 AM
Sorry I don't have the model # of the ACT clutch disc. but I can tell you the pressure plate (clutch cover) that goes with the 3rd gen RX7 clutch disc won't work on our cars. Also, I am using the stock flywheel.

Mante
20-02-2004, 06:48 PM
Sorry I don't have the model # of the ACT clutch disc. but I can tell you the pressure plate (clutch cover) that goes with the 3rd gen RX7 clutch disc won't work on our cars. Also, I am using the stock flywheel.

Cool, No pressure plate and no flywheel. But the ACT Disc, release bearing and pilot bearing are usable? Reason Im asking so many questions is because someone at act is waiting on my call to cross reference your knowledge with what they have for the 6a12 or anything else.

EdmundVR4
20-02-2004, 07:02 PM
All I know is that the 3rd gen RX7 clutch disc works. Does the clutch disc come supplied with releaase & pilot bearings ? If it does not I believe that the original parts were reused and after 25,000 kilometers, no problem.

Mante
24-02-2004, 03:59 AM
Well, I've called the search for the aftermarket clutch quits! Ordering a stock clutch for the time being, I will send the entire unit to ACT (advance clutch technology) to cross reference our clutch with other models they already have for hope of a match.

Mante
03-03-2004, 04:01 AM
I recieved this minutes after paying for shipping for a stock clutch from japan, ironic I would say! David Thomas from Rpw.

Teh clutch would be a semi ceramic paddle clutch disc 8 paddle sprung
centre.
Stage 1 woud be 25% heaveir cover plate
Stage 2 would be custom race cover plate around 40% heavier but still light
on the pedal.

pricing would be around $650.00 fo rthe stage 1 and around $1000.00 AUD$ for
the stage 2

FTOLTD
19-03-2004, 05:42 PM
i got a second hand clutch with flywheel, can get it reconned if any one wants one.

Mante
02-04-2004, 04:26 AM
After two weeks of sitting around wondering what was causing or stopping the trans from seperating from the flywheel I recieved alot of wrong ideas. Luckly I didnt break anything. So if anyone runs into the problem print this out..bookmark it or write it on your forearm here it goes.

1-Remove the two 12mm bolts that hold the slave cylinder.
2-Remove the boot on the release fork
3-using a flash light look for where the throwout bearing meets the spring loaded circle, use a flat head screw driver to pry them apart. You may have to slide the release fork a few times)
4- Once its seperate watch out cause the trans will begin its decent towards the ground or whatever you have catching it!

That process took 25 min start to finish!

tazza_Kiwi
15-10-2004, 04:01 AM
Yeah I'd be keen on a clutch? Any you got now?

ako
16-10-2004, 05:57 AM
The clutches are the same as used in the EVO lancers. I'm currently using a setup meant as a heavy duty replacement for a lancer evo 3 (2400lb pressure plate), and its taken 50+ hard launches and a LOT of abuse, still isn't slipping. Engines putting out 240kw+, so I'm assuming this setup should be fine for most people. Failing that, an upgrade to a ceramic 5 puck disk is only going to cost me $300 once I fry my current one. Rhys (LegnumVR4) has seen this thing working juuuust fine.

Price all up? $400 NZD. Try telling me thats not value for money.

FTOLTD
16-10-2004, 12:21 PM
I got a second hand one, but if you can get a new heavy duty pressure plate and clutch plate for 400 NZ i would grab it as that is a bargain in my book.

Mine would cost more than that to get it reconned and upgraded to a heavy duty pressure plate and 5 puck brass button clutch plate

Mante
16-10-2004, 02:39 PM
Yea after about 3 months of research we (couple of Exedy guys and myself) found there were no differences between Evo parts and the Vr4. At that point they gave me there Stage3 Hypersingle. Its rated at 450ft/torque, I should be in good shape for awhile once the rebuild is complete I'll have to upgrade to the twin disc setup. I'll get the part #'s off the box this afternoon.

FTOLTD
16-10-2004, 06:47 PM
hey mante with the rebuild

What is the bore going to be once you have made it 2996cc?

Are you changing the stroke at all ?

Are you going to be putting liners in to the block ?