PDA

View Full Version : wheres 2nd gone?

pitslayer
25-03-2008, 11:34 AM
because its no longer between 1st and 3rd/Grrr
happened once yesterday, left mates house, driving out slowly, slowed down into 2nd for a speed bump, went to pull off, and the cars gone into first, and so flicked it into tip and changed up to 2nd...but it went into 3rd. then back to first on its own and then back to third.
thought it would be a once off, but no, this morning second disapeared again. which left me kangarooing down the flat part of my drive between 1st and 3rd...going to slow for 3rd so it should drop into second, no into first. put it into second no, went to 3rd and back to 1st./Grrr

Kieran
25-03-2008, 11:46 AM
I think you're having a battle of wills with the box Kyle. Some of what you've described *CAN* be normal behaviour.

Okay - first make sure there's not a fault - From a standing start, use Tip only (don't move off in 'D') and make sure all gears are available up and down. if you leave it in tip they should be.

The VR-4 gearbox is unusual in that unlike the UK-spec cars, the shifting program will frequently hang onto 3rd and then shift to 1st when you're going really slowly. It anticipates that you'll be stopping and so pre-selects 1st.

As for the acceleration side - I would bet (because it's happened to me) that the auto was just shifting from 1 to 2, right as you bunged the gearbox into tip- you flick "+" and it goes into 3.

Keep a steady pressure on the accelerator too. You don't need to vary the position to change gear in tip - if you're trying to 'force' a change using the accelerator pedal you'll confuse the gearbox ECU and it will make a mess of things.

pitslayer
25-03-2008, 11:56 AM
i was in tip, the only time i use tip is going down the drive. and the only reason i used tip last night because i was in 1st for a long time, then it went to third at about 20mph, then back to first. with very light acceleration

Kieran
25-03-2008, 12:00 PM
i was in tip, the only time i use tip is going down the drive. and the only reason i used tip last night because i was in 1st for a long time, then it went to third at about 20mph, then back to first. with very light acceleration

You mean it changed of it's own accord whilst it was in tip?

orionn2o
25-03-2008, 12:05 PM
if there is some kind of firmware style error for some reason, i would start with a battery disconnect.

9/10 this solves firmward glitches. Although it could be doing that because it is sensing an error or is just a bit jumpy.

I've notice with my box it does the same thing where it holds onto 3rd and jumps to 1st but in tip mode all gears work correctly

pitslayer
25-03-2008, 12:15 PM
You mean it changed of it's own accord whilst it was in tip?
yes :(

orionn2o
25-03-2008, 12:25 PM
yes :(

Whilst accelerating or decelerating?

pitslayer
25-03-2008, 12:30 PM
both, seriously hoping this isnt going to be torque converter on its way out

TAR
25-03-2008, 04:27 PM
In tip mode, the ecu will change the gear DOWN if it needs to. The ecu senses the vehicle slowing down and will put the box into 1st if it thinks you are about to stop.

It should NOT change to a higher gear in tip; unless there is a fault.

If your drive is very bumpy, it may be jarring the tip switches causing the box to change gear??

It is also possible that the gear indicator on the dash is not synchronised with the gear changes.

In my car (when in full auto mode), the gear indicator changes just before the actual gear change, so I can see the car being in say 4th when it is still in 3rd or 5th and about to change (I hope that makes sense!!). However, this is only evident with automatic downshifts in Tip mode i.e. it always reads the correct gear going up the box in tip mode.

richy rich
25-03-2008, 05:14 PM
OK try driving on a flat road in D (not down your fooking drive).
Just using light throttle this should give you normal gear changes from 1st upwards, then slow down not using the brakes this should give you 5th-4th-3rd-1st. if this happens then there is nowt wrong.

I have road in my town which is down hill and with a speed hump and all vr4s ive drove down there go hay wire.

It is because the speed sensor and hill decent are both giving the ECU a signal to down shift and if you try and use tip to over ride it the ECU over rides you so you get late up shifts and then down to 1st again I now leave it to do what it wants.

Lillywotsername
25-03-2008, 05:21 PM
both, seriously hoping this isnt going to be torque converter on its way out
Why would it be the torque converter on its way out?????

Kieran
27-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Okay, easy up a bit guys - Let's not get TOO carried away here!

/Grabs AutoGlym post removal compound

Nutter_John
28-03-2008, 07:33 PM
sorry K I don't think there was any need for any of the posts to be deleted , Kyle has been on here long enough to know we are a bunch of P1ss taking gits and to never take offence , I can understand the need to control the threads but this is taking it to the extreme - oh look I've been banned :p

Kieran
28-03-2008, 09:50 PM
sorry K I don't think there was any need for any of the posts to be deleted , Kyle has been on here long enough to know we are a bunch of P1ss taking gits and to never take offence , I can understand the need to control the threads but this is taking it to the extreme - oh look I've been banned :p

Point taken, however this was another thread where Kyle's reported a problem and we've (self included) all jumped on the mickey take route. Yeah, okay we do a lot of that with everyone as you say - But I think Kyle's come in for more than his fair share of stick and we do have to maintain a balance. I think that cleaning up a few off topic posts achieves this and gets the thread back on track - bearing in mind Kyle still has a problem AFAIK. Therefore we should help first (despite the fact that he's painted his wheels gold and already broken his VR-4!:p)

I don't agree that this was extreme behaviour. That would be to lock the thread, or ban everyone, or..... etc, etc.

However, having said all of the above I do take your point that it's not 'normal' on here to take such action (which goes to show how friendly CVR4 is and how little moderation we need to do), and in future I will consider more carefully my course of action.:scholar:

K

orionn2o
29-03-2008, 12:10 AM
So whats the story then Pits?

pitslayer
29-03-2008, 01:07 AM
found my boost leak, gearbox has done it once more since. Im stumped, tried to pull fault codes and every light on the dash flashed

Lillywotsername
29-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Kyle... As Richy has already said, Loosing second in certain situations is very normal, our cars just don't like sitting in second for some reason and prefer 3rd or 1st. Richy has drove more VR4s than you can throw a stick at and they all respond the same.

I think on this one you might just need to accept this to be a normal "quirk" for a VR4 and try and sort out your other problems.