PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help...

Oxamus
26-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Hey guys,

New to this site, living in NZ....
I have a 98 galant VR-4 (manual), wanting to do a few additions...
like new computer that will allow me to wind boost up above 10 without fuel cuts(or do i need a new pump)?
I am not really a mechanic just need some help where i can find parts as I am having a tad of trouble... Any help is appreciated of how to get a bit more grunt at low cost..

Thanks all. Jeremy.

hi flyer
26-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Hi there. Welcome to the club.
I'd say forget about the computer unless you are going to get serious with big power. Just a 3 inch exhaust and downpipes and a boost controller would be the best place to start. You should be able to increase the boost to 1 bar with out having to do any other mods but .9 bar (13psi) should be max to be on the safe side. Search the site for more info on boost controllers etc.

Matt

Nick Mann
26-03-2008, 11:30 AM
To avoid fuel cut, you will have to do one of two things:

Install a device that fools the ECU into thinking that fuel cut conditions have not been reached, eg an HKS FCD. or:
Increase the injector size and add a piggy back ecu, this will allow you to reduce the air flow signal and thus the injector duty cycle (but bigger injectors mean that more fuel is flowing) so again, the ECU doesn't think that the fuel cut conditions have been reached.

Each VR4 seems to be a bit different as to whenit hits fuel cut, so go with hi flyers suggestions first and then look at removing fuel cut if/when it happens.

Fred
26-03-2008, 12:02 PM
mine hits f/c at 14 psi exactly

Nick Mann
26-03-2008, 12:06 PM
mine hits f/c at 14 psi exactly

If it works the way I think then it should be a combo of revs, air temp and boost pressure.

At a guess, you were around 3000-4000 rpm when you hit fuel cut?

Oxamus
26-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Where abouts did you get your exhaust done from highflyer?

I was wanting to start off low but overtime get fairly serious. (me and my mate with a wrx have a bet one) Must have more HP than him...

Kenneth
27-03-2008, 01:15 AM
if you have fuel cut problems, first thing to do is make sure you don't have a pod filter. If you do have a pod filter, you aught to try with a standard airbox, it should raise fuel cut to over 15psi of boost on an otherwise fairly standard car.

dixon8
27-03-2008, 02:10 AM
Hey guys,

hi, welcome to the club, whereabouts in NZ are you ??? :inquisiti

Gowf
27-03-2008, 04:56 AM
Hey guys,

I have a 98 galant VR-4 (manual), wanting to do a few additions...
like new computer that will allow me to wind boost up above 10 without fuel cuts(or do i need a new pump)?
I am not really a mechanic just need some help where i can find parts as I am having a tad of trouble... Any help is appreciated of how to get a bit more grunt at low cost..

Thanks all. Jeremy.

From my experience of some VR4's, and as Nick has said, fuel cut usual gets you around 3-4k rpm. If your looking at a nice and cheap way of just upping power then an electronic boost controler that allows you to vary the duty cycle at various rpms is the way to go.. like the apexi avcr. Otherwise you are really looking at either a Fuel cut defender (which i personaly do not agree with as fuel cut offers a small degree of security) or bigger injectors and a piggy back ecu that can control both fuel and boost...something like the map2 or EMU.

However, if you go down the big exhaust and downpipes route, you do run the risk of hitting fuel cut sooner, as the turbos will spool quicker giving you more boost at lower rpm which the ecu doesnt apear to like. on the other hand though, they will improve your performance.

As has been said many many times before, it all depends on how much you want to spend. If you just want the cheapest power gain then boost controler is the way, but if you think that you are going to keep going with the mods at a later date then maybe a piggy back ecu is the best place to start then carry on with the rest from there.

Dont worry about fuel pumps and regulators as the standard system is well up for the job i think your looking at at present.

Oxamus
27-03-2008, 08:57 PM
hi, welcome to the club, whereabouts in NZ are you ??? :inquisiti

Christchurch NZ, Great city for car lovers :)

Jalperi
30-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Hi! I have bigger intercooler, 3" exhaust and downpipes, boost control, walbro fuel pump.
What piggy back i should get ? I think GREDDY E-MANAGE ULTIMATE is good but what u guys think ?
I set boost 0,8bar

djb160
31-03-2008, 06:45 AM
Are you going to be doing the install etc, otherwise have a chat to whoever will be installing it for you and see what they would prefer to work with vs functionality vs cost effectiveness

mpau009
31-03-2008, 06:59 AM
Its pretty split around here as to whether you go for EMU, or MAP2 ECU.

From what iv heard EMU seems to be a bit more refined, but i went for MAP2 because it was a bit cheaper. I still havent used it to make adjustments yet, but its easy enough to work with. Supposedly the latest software release should give the ability to monitor knock in real time, which something MAP2 lacked initially.

Have a bit of a search around and see what appeals to you.

But yeah, unless you are going to do it yourself have a talk to your tuner.

And also i would recommend fitting a wideband O2 sensor, something like the Lc-1, even if you dont use it to tune off of, it is valuable to know what you A/F ratios are like if you are making modifications.