PDA

View Full Version : Manual advice

RPF
18-02-2004, 04:20 PM
Gentlemen,
I have just joined your forum because I am looking for some advice.

For the last 12 years I have been driving a variety of Renault 21 Turbo Quadra’s - a family 5 seater, with four wheel drive, and about 250bhp (after mild modification).

It’s time for a change and only two motors seem to fit the bill.
The Legnum VR4 or the Subaru Legacy (am I allowed to say Subaru in this Forum?) In either case I would need to buy an estate, as the saloons have no folding rear seat (sad that this should be a consideration I know).

Now for the advice part.
I would like a manual rather than Tiptronic - are manual VR4s rare, very rare or rocking horse **** rare?
Do they carry a price premium and can you get the parts when they go wrong?

Lastly (and in no more than 5000 words), why is a Legnum better than Legacy?

Appreciate your help,
Richard.

Spirit
18-02-2004, 05:19 PM
Okay I'll have a go at this:

1: Manuals are rare - I would say verging on rocking horse **** rare !
2: I doubt you would pay any extra for one IMO
3: Why a Legnum - well have a read of the "Buyers Guide" which can be found HERE (http://www.p.honey.btinternet.co.uk/buyersguide.htm)

Hope this helps....

Pete

P.S. Welcome to the Club :-D

enigma
18-02-2004, 05:24 PM
In fact why a manual? The tip box is awesome! It changes gear quicker and smoother than I can!

Why a Legnum? Well they are versitile fast and huge fun!

Watch out for servicing and parts costs though!

Roadrunner
18-02-2004, 06:03 PM
Major plus of buying a Mitsubishi, though, is that you get dealer support if you need it :) . Subaru dealers in the UK are not allowed to touch grey imports so there's very little help around if you need technical advice on a twin-turbo Legacy. The Subaru owners who frequent Scoobynet (the main Subaru web forum in the UK) are only interested in Imprezas, and generally have no interest in Legacies :undecided .

Very little to choose between them in terms of running costs - both are very expensive to run :eek: . Legacy has a lot more grunt at the top end (because of the larger second-stage turbo), but you'd be well into licence-ripping-up territory before you notice that. Legnum is much smoother with no noticeable turbo lag. I'd only buy another twin-turbo Legacy if International Motors (UK importers of Subaru) change their policy to allow dealers to service the cars - they won't though :(

Brian (former owner of a twin-turbo Legacy RS-B ;) )