PDA

View Full Version : decisions time

robin
18-02-2004, 07:56 PM
should i spend 3 or 4 grand on some suspension and a few mechanical mods or sell my 98 (s) reg v624v and get a proper vr4 instead?

if so who's selling a good un?

ritch_w
18-02-2004, 08:33 PM
what mods do you have planned for £3 to £4K??
sounds alot for suspension etc?????

KiwiTT
18-02-2004, 09:32 PM
should i spend 3 or 4 grand on some suspension and a few mechanical mods or sell my 98 (s) reg v624v and get a proper vr4 instead?

There are whole 8G VR-4's in NZ for nearly price. I bought mine for the equivalent of 5 grand.

Kieran
18-02-2004, 09:53 PM

Mmmm. The purchase price of the VR-4 is not the problem I think. If you import one, a 1996/7 Type-S can be yours for circa 5K. If a VR-4 had the same overall running costs as the GLS i've got, or the V6-24, then I'd snap one up.

I guess it depends on how you view your V6-24. If you think it's a thirsty car that needs expensive servicing and insurance, then a VR-4 isn't for you. With sub 25mpg, 4,500-mile service intervals, group-20 insurance and a question mark over their reliability (don't start you lot, you know what I'm on about!), please consider your choice very carefully. 3-4K can get a lot of mods for the standard Galants. Just ask myself or people like Scottish Ian!

Having said all that, Whilst I've not driven one myself, a VR-4 has commanding road prescence and offers searing performance. They really do go. Just ask Nick Mann, who upgraded from a V6-24 to a VR-4!

Spirit
18-02-2004, 10:05 PM
£3k to £4k is a big investment in any car, and as we all know you never get your money back when you sell. If it were me I would sit down and make a list of exactly what I want to achieve, how much it costs and what the end benefits will be.

Then, if you are still tempted go and actually test drive a VR4. For sure you will never achieve the performance of the VR4 so you may decide a ready made car is the best solution (if you can suffer the running costs).

Then find one that you can get a full history on and be confident of buying - here's an example of a CVR4 person (Mike) selling his for £8k - HERE (http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3068). He has full UK/Jap history and only 66k miles. Mike is the only UK owner so knows the car inside and out (nice wheels too).

Nick Mann
18-02-2004, 11:09 PM
As Kieran said, I upgraded....

The biggest issue for me is the fuel bills. Expect 18-20 mpg from the VR4, rather than the 30 you probably get now. There are other increased costs - (insurance, add 30-40%, servicing, add a similar amount) but I would personally say that if you can afford the petrol, you can afford the rest! The increased performance in my opinion is well worth the added expense. Whereas at the moment there are some cars that can stay with you and a few that can beat you, with a VR4 there are a few that can stay with you and hardly any that can beat you! In estate format, which I have, it is doubly shocking for the poor unsuspecting people who don't know yet! The only thing I did wrong was to spend all I could afford on the car buying the newest one I could, when I should have saved a bit for a few choice modifications.

I would go with Spirits advice and test drive one. I did!

SGHOM
18-02-2004, 11:17 PM
I would go with Spirits advice and test drive one. I did!good advice, but be warned ............ If you test drive one, you will want one !!!! no doubt about that. :-D :-D

KiwiTT
18-02-2004, 11:31 PM
I am thinking of investing in an Oil Company. At least I will be able to get some of my costs back as dividends.

KiwiTT
18-02-2004, 11:32 PM
good advice, but be warned ............ If you test drive one, you will want one !!!! no doubt about that. :-D :-D

Couldn't agree more

enigma
19-02-2004, 12:20 AM
Whereas at the moment there are some cars that can stay with you and a few that can beat you, with a VR4 there are a few that can stay with you and hardly any that can beat you! In estate format, which I have, it is doubly shocking for the poor unsuspecting people who don't know yet!

And when you modify you will kick serious botty.......eh Nick! ;)