PDA

View Full Version : hid kits

soapy1978
28-03-2008, 12:32 AM
i just just bought these kits for my car i am going to have a go at fitting them tomorrow as from the other threads the hid lamp is not quit right as in you cant get the spacers behind to lock them in right on our lights but they are at a very good price and was sent out very fast to me and for the price i am very happy with what i got here is the link to the seller on ebay and will post pics and how i got on at fitting them ether tomorrow or saturday.

i have got the h7 and the h1 kits in 6000k as thing that the best way to go for brightness over the blue tint colour

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZmototekc

darren

scc
28-03-2008, 01:10 AM
I used a dremel to reshape the spacers.

I agree about the brightness over the blue. I got frustrated with blue and changed them to 6K ones but whiter ones. Now I have fantastic night vision.

scc

soapy1978
28-03-2008, 01:26 AM
i hav a work mate that here based with me and he has a dremel so it looking like we be doing the same tomorrow to fit mine i just hope i can get new ones if i ever need to go back to the old lamps if i gt problems with the hids

did you just use the original wiring to run the ballasts

Oblivion
28-03-2008, 05:53 AM
Perhaps some one also know how to align them properly too? Mine point a bit high.

Lillywotsername
28-03-2008, 07:44 AM
Hi Darren..... Long time no see mate.

You have PM.. ;) Edit... you would have if you had some space.... Please empty your inbox ;)

zentac
28-03-2008, 08:34 AM
which bulbs do you have in the VR4?

peter thomson
28-03-2008, 08:37 AM
H7 and H1 for the main beam

soapy1978
28-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Hi Darren..... Long time no see mate.

You have PM.. ;) Edit... you would have if you had some space.... Please empty your inbox ;)

my inbox is now empty hun so send your pm

hope you well

scc
29-03-2008, 12:15 AM
i just hope i can get new ones if i ever need to go back to the old lamps if i gt problems with the hids

Eh? The HID kits should supply you with new spacers that you might need to reshape? I've still got my originals which I keep incase I need to go back to the old lamps.

Scc

soapy1978
29-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Eh? The HID kits should supply you with new spacers that you might need to reshape? I've still got my originals which I keep incase I need to go back to the old lamps.

Scc

how much did you pay for your kits tho mate as these are £36.49 a set and that with postage and packaging

i have fittied them and they are all working fine took about ten minutes to fit the h7's and about 30 minute's to do the h1's as there was a bit more to it for setting the spacers out

darren

scc
29-03-2008, 08:33 AM
wow! They've come down quite a bit then. I paid well over 100, but that was ages ago. It took ages to fit as there wasn't really a place I could secure the ballast properly. 10 and 30 mins to install them is pretty good.

Cheers,
scc

soapy1978
29-03-2008, 12:32 PM
wow! They've come down quite a bit then. I paid well over 100, but that was ages ago. It took ages to fit as there wasn't really a place I could secure the ballast properly. 10 and 30 mins to install them is pretty good.

Cheers,
scc

i have placed the ballasts close by two are on the water bottle and the other two are on the plastic shield for the battery on ether side i have tried to up load pictures but they not loading think it cos of my internet as can't upload pictures to anywhere for some reason

but the two on the water bottle make sure they do not touch as it makes the main beam come on all the time for some reason so i have just used then sticky pads that come for the ballasts as a spacer between the two ballasts

darren

soapy1978
29-03-2008, 01:25 PM
right

question for you lot that new about these cars more than me

i have searched but cant find a thread about it does anyone know the side light bulb no. and what bulbs go in our driving lights as thinking i might see if i can get hids for driving lights aswell as it not look right at all at night with hids on and standard driving light bulbs

darren

Turbo_Steve
29-03-2008, 02:22 PM
I used an H3 HID kit in my fogs and it worked perfectly, though you will need to drill the back cover of the foglights for decent cable access. I then zip-tied the ballasts firmly to the bodywork, and they work brilliantly.

pitslayer
29-03-2008, 04:53 PM
30k hids..hmmmmmm.....£26.....superbright

Turbo_Steve
29-03-2008, 10:51 PM
30k?

Nutter_John
29-03-2008, 10:53 PM
right

question for you lot that new about these cars more than me

i have searched but cant find a thread about it does anyone know the side light bulb no. and what bulbs go in our driving lights as thinking i might see if i can get hids for driving lights aswell as it not look right at all at night with hids on and standard driving light bulbs

darren

Darren the side lights are oly 5 w tiny jobbies , not worth doing as they don't really throw that much light out

Turbo_Steve
29-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Whilst I agree they don't throw much light, a lot of people swap them for LED bulbs to get the colour match.
On the VR-4s, though, I'd be impressed if you could notice once the HIDs were on!

soapy1978
30-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Darren the side lights are oly 5 w tiny jobbies , not worth doing as they don't really throw that much light out

sorry you missed under stood my question i am going to put hids in the driving lights which i now know are h3's which have been oldered and i just need the part code for the side light bulb as i wish to put the led blue tint in there just to change the colour of them not hids as i thought they were 501's but they not the same are they T4W BA9s

cheers
darren

soapy1978
02-04-2008, 02:28 AM
sorry to bump this one but i still need to know the part no. for the side light bulb on our haed lights oldered the h3 for driveing light just need to older the side light bulbs in blue now as the do show up though the hids

peter thomson
02-04-2008, 09:45 AM
BA9S or 233 as far as I remember

Nice But
02-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Darren, these LED (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200205027817&rd=1) bulbs are what I got for mine. Still got to do the HID's and de orange the indicators /pan

soapy1978
02-04-2008, 08:54 PM
cheers for that have ordered them now so not long and car be sorted i hope

phosty
03-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Would it be possible for someone to post pictures of the spacers they needed to adjust/fabricate to get their HIDs fitted?

Also, I though HIDs take a second a two to hit full brightness (certainly my HID diving torch and MTB headlight both take a good 5 seconds or so). So if you fit the main beam H1 HIDs then when you try to flash people do they work fast enough?

I see a lot of people driving around with their Front Fogs/(aka Driving lights) on yet I was sure that it was illegal unless actually foggy. We had one of those Police Road Safety Presentations at work and I asked the policeman the question and he confirmed that it was indeed illegal.

So I wouldn't personally be bothered about HIDs for a lamp I almost never use. OK for offroad/show use though I guess.

Nice But
03-04-2008, 11:45 PM
Darren - they are very good, I've replaced my high level brake with 4 red ones and all the interiors and have orange ones in my crystal sidelights...... deliver in about 5 days usually.

I'm only going to do the dipped on mine, mains and fogs I'll change to super bright halogens......

And silver indicators when I de orange the fronts....../pan

VR4 MAD
14-04-2008, 04:08 AM
I used an H3 HID kit in my fogs and it worked perfectly, though you will need to drill the back cover of the foglights for decent cable access. I then zip-tied the ballasts firmly to the bodywork, and they work brilliantly.

Hey there Turbo_Steve, are the fogs you refer to on a pre-facelift or a facelift car.

I want to do this too, but as I have a facelift car, I am worried that HID bulbs might run hotter than the normal bulbs and melt the whole plastic mounting unit. Have you had any issues with running temperatures for the HID bulbs in the confined space of the plastic surrounds and with the spot light bulb cover/clear lens melting or distorting with heat?

Cheers for the help.

/toycar

Kenneth
14-04-2008, 04:16 AM
Hey there Turbo_Steve, are the fogs you refer to on a pre-facelift or a facelift car.

I want to do this too, but as I have a facelift car, I am worried that HID bulbs might run hotter than the normal bulbs and melt the whole plastic mounting unit. Have you had any issues with running temperatures for the HID bulbs in the confined space of the plastic surrounds and with the spot light bulb cover/clear lens melting or distorting with heat?

Cheers for the help.

/toycar

Generally HID bulbs run colder than standard bulbs, so heat shouldn't be a problem.

IIRC HIDs are usually 35W vs ~50W for standard halogen bulbs.

VR4 MAD
14-04-2008, 04:21 AM
Great............./rally

Cheers for the quick reply Kenneth.

/toycar

VR4 MAD
14-04-2008, 04:23 AM
And while I think of it, what's the bulb type for the facelift spotlight, not the turn bulb. H3 by chance?

Cheers

/toycar

Nice But
28-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Just fitted the HID's, supplied by Zaid and Led side lights......... Mmmm sooooo much brighter, beam pattern is exactly the same as with the halogens. A much cleaner light.

Now to get rid of my yellow main beams and fogs.

Mains are H1's
Fogs are ?

Then I need to de orange the headlights...../pan

Main beams will be these. (http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/product.php?productid=16352&cat=604&page=1)

Fogs will be these in the right size (http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/product.php?productid=17116&cat=253&page=1)

soapy1978
02-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Would it be possible for someone to post pictures of the spacers they needed to adjust/fabricate to get their HIDs fitted?

Also, I though HIDs take a second a two to hit full brightness (certainly my HID diving torch and MTB headlight both take a good 5 seconds or so). So if you fit the main beam H1 HIDs then when you try to flash people do they work fast enough?

I see a lot of people driving around with their Front Fogs/(aka Driving lights) on yet I was sure that it was illegal unless actually foggy. We had one of those Police Road Safety Presentations at work and I asked the policeman the question and he confirmed that it was indeed illegal.

So I wouldn't personally be bothered about HIDs for a lamp I almost never use. OK for offroad/show use though I guess.

I cut the old mounts about as to fit my hids and i just hoping i never get asked to reemove them as it will never be able to put the normal bulbs back in with out buy new mounts lol

and will be fitting the driving light hids this weekend hopefully as long as there not to many people braking down at work.

soapy1978
02-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Just fitted the HID's, supplied by Zaid and Led side lights......... Mmmm sooooo much brighter, beam pattern is exactly the same as with the halogens. A much cleaner light.

Now to get rid of my yellow main beams and fogs.

Mains are H1's
Fogs are ?

Then I need to de orange the headlights...../pan

Main beams will be these. (http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/product.php?productid=16352&cat=604&page=1)

Fogs will be these in the right size (http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/product.php?productid=17116&cat=253&page=1)

Notbeing funny but fpr what you paying for the bulbs from that site you might as well get the h1's main and the h3's driving lights from the man i got on ebay as it only a tenner more for a brighter better light