PDA

View Full Version : talk to me ..

Big Ian
29-03-2008, 04:33 PM
quite a few guy's within CVR4 know me :inquisiti some of them may also know how bad i am at "decition making" /pan ... (please excusse any spelling mishtakes i may make)
for those who don't know me .. i had a very nice 2ltr GLS to which i liked very much, i sold it for one of 2 car's a VR4 or a E39 (5 series BMW) i bought a E39 .. nearly 30 mths ago to which i have tastefully modified to my like'n :scholar:

now i have a decition to make (again) .. i never keep a car any longer than 3yrs and as i come close to 3yrs of E39 ownership (totaly trouble free) what do i do??? i still admire VR4's but ive spent about £10K on my E39 buying & getting it to my taste. i feel VR4's are at a settled price now (2 yrs ago they where all over the place) .. that said ive alway's payed what "I" feel a car is worth.
i know this site is and will always be "thee best VR4 site" and all the info i need is here ( i did help with a little part of it.. not much but a little)

ive not pushed at selling my E39, due to the fact i know it will sell .. it's just a very hard car to ( i say to myself often) to let go of :thinking:

so i now pass this topic over to you ... convince me i still want a VR4 :pimp2:

please note IMO: fuel ain't a problem either is insurance .. these i feel are just stupid reason's for not wanting to own something a little special :happy: i'm more intrested in the other side of running cost's ie: bit's that break and bit's that are hard or expensive to purchase (if needed?)

PS, i was in a twin turbo GTO during the week and it realy got me thinking about VR4's again
this one, sat next to my E39
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h32/jacsuz/DSC00347.jpg

ANTHONY
29-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Ian as you you know i had a 2.0 sport but once i joined the club and came to the meetings I also waited a VR4 so when the right one came along I got it. as for running cost the insurance was the same. we don't do a great deal of mileage so the fuel has got up only a bit. repairs as you know can be expensive, if you heart is still set on one go for it. as this is properly the best time to get one owing to the rise in fuel price. 3 years ago you'd have to pay any thing from 5K up now you can pick up a good one for under 3K. i'v just found out i need a front wheel bearing but the cost of that is proberly the same as my 2.0 sport.
SO I SAY GO FOR IT WE NEED YOU BACK IN THE FOLD

ritch_w
29-03-2008, 05:17 PM
if fuels not a concern - buy one!

things that may go wrong - and I'd say these apply to most performance & 4wd cars;
Drive train - transfer box, diffs, ayc, g-box
cambelt, tensioners & waterpump.
neglect and lack of proper servicing is probably the cost of most vr4 issues, of course sometimes things just break. i dont think there are any specific vr4 weakspots

HMG1K
29-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Go for a VR4! There are some great examples out there (going by the ads alone) for £6k - there's even a lovely one on PistonHeads, facelift, UK looking version, with 19k miles on the clock!

You have to click through to the dealer's site to see the one photo.

VR4 all the way !

miller
29-03-2008, 06:02 PM
after coming from a GTO to a VR4 im absolutely loving the 'sleeper' feel. so nice to be able to potter nicely along and then unleash hell when the face needs a grin!

Mike

Big Ian
29-03-2008, 06:56 PM
OK, ive made up sign's for my E39, they will go on it tomorrow, once it has gone then i'll make up me mind... i have a great record of selling any car in less than 2 wks (when i put my heart in to it)
ive still got my E30 Rag Top to use (never selling that) so there's no rush to replace my E39, but after my trip in the GTO it brought back some memory's from Castle Combe and Derek taking me side way driving in the wet :scholar: i need to own my own twin turbo and seen as i have a family and it will be used for our trip's down south then a VR4 tick's all the boxes .. then join up as a full member again.

:iloveyou:

ANTHONY
29-03-2008, 06:58 PM
woo hoo, way to go Ian

DickBarton
29-03-2008, 07:02 PM
The fact you are asking shows you want it...so just do it. If you didn't think it was good you wouldn't ask...do it do it do it!

I bought mine 6 months ago - it's a brilliant car - had a few bits go wrong with it, but that was due to the age rather than anything else so that is fair enough...then find out we are expecting a baby we need to get something a bit more economical...so I was selling mine. I've now written it off after a 15mph bump and I'm absolutely gutted by it - it's not the way to get rid of a car and it isn't any way to get rid of such a good car. I suspect I will be on the hunt for a nother in a few years time once I've come to terms with a wee person running about the house...but just do it, they are superb vehicles.

Big Ian
29-03-2008, 07:03 PM
woo hoo, way to go Ian

cheer's Tony ... :happy:

Big Ian
29-03-2008, 07:06 PM
The fact you are asking shows you want it...so just do it. If you didn't think it was good you wouldn't ask...do it do it do it!

I've now written it off after a 15mph bump and I'm absolutely gutted by it - .

what a shame .. .. sad to hear yor Leggy got written off, i like the look of your car to, i was always tempted to ask if you'd PX against my BMW

Wodjno
29-03-2008, 07:38 PM
I stil think your in 8 minds on what to do.. !

I reckon that after being part of the Club for as long as you have, that if you really wanted 1 you would have bought a VR4 before the E39.. And now that you have done the E39 thing your still looking for re-assurance on whether to buy or not ??

If i was in that many minds whether or not to buy.. I wouldn't Buy !

At the end of the day, the choice is yours... And as with me, it wouldn't matter what anyone elses opinion was, if i wanted the car i would get it whatever.. /yes Whether this be right or wrong.. !!

Anyway.. Good luck in your decision :happy:

Kieran
29-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Well, the fact that you still keep in touch makes it pretty obvious that the VR-4 is an itch you need to scratch, if you know what I mean!

Regarding the E39... Hooo, that's a tough call! I've always liked that one of yours, it really does look spot on. From what you're saying though, I think you've reached your 'peak' with it; It's just how you want it, it's given you lots of enjoyment, but now there's nowhere to go - So unless you are happy to stay where you're at with it, I think selling now is perhaps the right thing to do - End on a high with that car.

Tell you what - For the £10k you've spent sorting the BMW, you could buy a nice prefacelift manual saloon, and then with the 4 or 5K left over, you could get a lot of go faster/look better/corner quicker bits.

Spares and reliability... Well, the VR-4 is a tad more fraglie than a GLS - the maintenance requirements are higher and even freshly imported VR-4s will likely have the odd niggle to sort out. However, via the club most parts and spares can be got if you can't find them anywhere else and BIG failures (i.e. expensive things going bang) aren't that common unless the car's tuned up to its eyeballs or its one of those cars that was exported from Japan because it was about to fall to bits!

Oh, and one final thing I've just thought of.... As you know, I have a soft spot for the E39. One day I may well buy one... But it won't be to replace the VR-4. Somehow I know that despite the advantages that the E39 has over the VR-4, it just wouldn't quite 'hit the spot'.

Turbo_Steve
29-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Given how cheap you can pick up a used VR-4, I would suggest picking up a cheap one and sticking the BMW in storage. Try it for a bit. If you like it, sell the beemer and buy a better VR-4.

Big Ian
30-03-2008, 08:28 AM
keep the comments coming guy's .. no matter what you have to say,

Steve, this is something i had thought about doing, but i already store my E30 BMW Convertible, and to be honest the cash i need for my next car is in my E39.

Kieran my car at the moment is worth about £6K to sell (spent way over £9K buying and playing) i have thought quite abit as to what i want from my next car and no matter what it is i'm only going to drop the height, upgrade brakes (if needed) and change wheel's no matter what i buy next i'm not going silly with it, it'll be more of a look after and care for car as over the past couple of yrs my passion for older BMW's (E30's) has growin and i'd be more intrested in keeping my currant mint E30 .. :thinking: "mint"

WODJNO yes i can't shy away from the fact's i had 2 car's in my mind, ive now owned one of them and
i do want a VR4, i wouldn't still be hanging about the forum if i didn't
yes i'm slightly scared that i might buy a "dog" .. i never have but that can change? .. that said, i think i could rely on help from CVR4 owner's to help pick a good car :happy:
as with every car ive owned i know they can go wrong, it's part of owning them! . it's just a minor set back if they do go wrong, my hands-on mechanical work is basic, brake's suspension, most service part's, trim's and a few other thing's are my limit. BIG stuff like: engine, G/box, 4WD system's are out as far as my skills go?

ive seen a few nice looking one's on ebay if anyone know's the dealer's can you comment please? PM me or post it. i'd also look at club car's that are for sale.

one's i have in watching are
nice colour, need's leather though?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mitsubishi-Galant-VR4-Twin-Turbo-Type-S_W0QQitemZ250168762818QQihZ015QQcategoryZ18230QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this one look's like it might be upgraded? (under bonnet "hard pipe'n")
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MITSUBISHI-GALANT-2-5-VR4-TWIN-TURBO-TYPE-S_W0QQitemZ350036268548QQihZ022QQcategoryZ18230QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MITSUBISHI-GALANT-2-5-VR4-TWIN-TURBO-TYPE-S_W0QQitemZ250168764632QQihZ015QQcategoryZ18230QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this is high on my list, look's mint .. hate the alloy's!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1997-MITSUBISHI-LEGNUM-2-5L-TWIN-TURBO-4WD-VR4-LEATHER_W0QQitemZ310033403141QQihZ021QQcategoryZ18 230QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

like i said, i'm the worlds worst decition maker, but i'm half way there .. i put for sale sign's on my E39 last night, i'll give it a few day's then it'll be on Auto Trader and maybe ebay? ive deffo made my mind up that it's time to move on ... now ive just got to get fault finding thought's i have to the back of my head ... i can't help myself from looking for right's N wrong's first, it's the way i am! /pan
all you VR4 owner's know though that once i have bought my first VR4 that i'll be smile'n for a while and all them silly thought's will be gone /rally

Roadrunner
30-03-2008, 09:10 AM
keep the comments coming guy's .. no matter what you have to say
Hey Ian! Howzitgawn?

I've had two VR-4s over the past 6 years, ran the first to 105k (of which I did 88k) miles and the current one is sitting at 109k (of which I've done 72k). Neither have given me any grief mechanically but each got services rigorously according to manufacturer's recommendations and I replaced anything that needed replacing.

My first VR-4 needed head gaskets at around 85k miles, but it had been running higher boost for a while. Current car hasn't needed anything major mechanically, although I've just replaced rear wheel bearings and hydraulic tappets as maintenance items, and installed a hard pipe kit and uprated anti-roll bars prior to going to the Ring last week.

I think the key is regular maintenance (which I know you do anyway :scholar: ) so I'd say, as others have done, GO FOR IT! You know you want to ... :D

Rambaud
30-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Very nice looking car, Ian. :2thumbsup

I had an M5 (E28) a few years ago - excellent engine and handling.

Good luck with your sale.

bradc
30-03-2008, 10:08 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mitsubishi-Galant-VR4-Twin-Turbo-Type-S_W0QQitemZ250168762818QQihZ015QQcategoryZ18230QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

blink...the elusive Roanne Red prefacelift. I've seen two of those now!

Personally I prefer the COTY Legnum, for one it has the black leather, and secondly it is the only one that has a real boot.

ritch_w
30-03-2008, 12:03 PM
what about "spunky"? its similar money to the prefacelifts youve mentioned and only 30 miles from you

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/290213.htm

Big Ian
30-03-2008, 03:42 PM
what about "spunky"? its similar money to the prefacelifts youve mentioned and only 30 miles from you

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/290213.htm

:scholar: hehe .. yeah it's looking a little better these day's. ive been in touch with the seller .. well his wife and she say's he's at sea and won't be home till mid April he's dropped the price quite abit, it was at £6800 a while back

PS, does anyone have a pic of ole "spunky" .. from back in the day!

Spirit
30-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Looks like the decision has been made, so best of luck in your hunt for a good'un Ian.

Will be good to see you behind the wheel of a VR4 at last :pimp2:

ANTHONY
30-03-2008, 04:47 PM
PS, does anyone have a pic of ole "spunky" .. from back in the day!all the previous post's seem to have lost the photo

Big Ian
30-03-2008, 07:00 PM
ive had 3 honest veiwers for my E39 today .. one asked if i'd take a deposit and he'd return at the end of April with the balance, i said no, if it's still here at the end of April, then you can buy it

who need's auto trader when you stay on a fairly busy through road :scholar:

ive just gave it a good polish to so it's looking rather shiney :afro:

Big Ian
30-03-2008, 07:03 PM
all the previous post's seem to have lost the photo

awe, dam!! that's a shame, i had quite a few pic's of it from when i was quite intrested in buying it from the garage that had it in Cardiff (nearly 3yrs ago!)

i'll have to check some old pic-disc's we have and see if i still have the pic's??

ANTHONY
30-03-2008, 07:24 PM
sounds like you could be the owner of a vr4 this year if you find the right one mate.
now this one looks nice. http://www.neweraimports.com/carDetails.jsp?carId=362

Big Ian
30-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Ritch, if i can arrange to view the VR4 in ayrshire would you be able to join me for a look? his wife recon's her husband should be home for the 8th April .. i was going to try veiw as soon as i can now the light night's are with us i finish work at 5pm.

Big Ian
06-04-2008, 10:34 PM
... i have a great record of selling any car in less than 2 wks (when i put my heart in to it)

well it only took 11 day's to sell it, got more than my asking price and it goes away tomorrow night, i can't lie i'm gonna miss that big cruiser it has been thee best car ive owned and ever drivin.

and
i'm already in talk's with a VR4 seller :scholar:

ANTHONY
06-04-2008, 10:38 PM
well done mate so whats the car your looking at, just some details (you dont have to say where from)

Kieran
06-04-2008, 10:41 PM
i'm already in talk's with a VR4 seller :scholar:

:afro:

And remember Ian....

uploaded/326/1207518126.jpg

Big Ian
06-04-2008, 10:42 PM
cheer's Tony ... all in good time my freind
waited this long so a few more day's won't hurt :inquisiti

ANTHONY
06-04-2008, 10:45 PM
:afro:

And remember Ian....

uploaded/326/1207518126.jpglol/haz

ritch_w
07-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Ritch, if i can arrange to view the VR4 in ayrshire would you be able to join me for a look? his wife recon's her husband should be home for the 8th April .. i was going to try veiw as soon as i can now the light night's are with us i finish work at 5pm.

sure would! I'm about all this week except monday (a wedding - on a monday????) and Thursday (in edinburgh - but i can be back sharpish)

do you still have my mobile no? I'll PM you anyway!

bradc
07-04-2008, 08:30 AM
cool, congrats.

Are you going to be in touch with the owners of that lovely black saloon with the aftermarket bonnet, or what about that 2002 Roanne Red Estate? (now those are both immaculate VR-4's!)

The Vee
07-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Looks like "spunky" is sold.......Ian???????...........If it's not you, hope you get sorted soon. The bug never really left you.

Big Ian
07-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Looks like "spunky" is sold.......Ian???????...........If it's not you, hope you get sorted soon. The bug never really left you.

yip tiz sold .. just sitting here patciantly waiting for the buyer of my BMW to show up with cash!! :scholar:

ANTHONY
07-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Looks like "spunky" is sold.......Ian???????...........If it's not you, hope you get sorted soon. The bug never really left you.if it is the said car i think we need the drop the name if its gonna join the club

Big Ian
09-04-2008, 12:23 AM
just to let ya'll know
MY BMW WENT AWAY TONIGHT

i got £200 more than my asking price, not to bad :afro:
the new owner could'nt make it on monday night but he made it tonight strangest thing for me is, i don't miss it?
tonight i went for a look at a WRX Scooby ... the piston slap could be heard even above the loud flat four's straight through exhaust! a wreck .. tomorrow night i'm away to look at a very very nice scooby "RA" then if that's not my cuppa T
ANYONE SELLING A NICE VR4 FOR ABOUT £4K PM ME .. the closer to Glasgow the better

:happy:

KiwiTT
09-04-2008, 01:06 AM
so i now pass this topic over to you ... convince me i still want a VR4 :pimp2:

May be a little late but I said it here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25293)