PDA

View Full Version : MISSING!!! 40BHP, reward if found!

Petrolhead
18-05-2003, 04:52 PM
Hi Guys.

Just back from a rolling road day, and the car is way down on power. See following data sheet...

http://carartz.phpwebhosting.com/other/vr/pfig1.jpg

Any advice offered is greatly appreciated.

Dave.

BraindG
18-05-2003, 05:00 PM
were they using a fan?

what mods you got again, if any?

240 doesnt seem right.. .. hmmm..

Roadrunner
18-05-2003, 06:17 PM
Yes, 42 degrees C is way too hot, suggesting not enough cooling during the run. Where were you? Also need to know what mods you have and what fuel you're using to try to work out why the readings are low.

Brian

Petrolhead
18-05-2003, 08:13 PM
Only mod is an induction filter, which does not have any air channelling to it.
They used a big fan, and I was running on Optimax as I have been for the last three months.

Roadrunner
18-05-2003, 09:49 PM
Did you have the car sitting with the engine running for a long time before you went on the rollers? 42C still looks really hot. I'm assuming they were running the fan straight at the intercooler. Whose rollers were you on?

Brian

Petrolhead
18-05-2003, 11:12 PM
Was at "Star Performance" Glenrothes, Fife.

I had the engine running for about 15 minutes beforehand, coz I thought I shouldn't floor it when cold.

Brind
18-05-2003, 11:28 PM
I could be speaking from my arse, but bare with me.

I've heard that if the air flow sensor which your filter is attached too gets dirty you can lose alot of power..

Bad fuel can send your ECU into fail safe and retard the boost resulting in lower power..

Your ECU hasn't adjusted iteslf properly to your new induction kit...

You have a small ferret hiding inside your induction kit tube..

BraindG
18-05-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Brind

You have a small ferret hiding inside your induction kit tube..

AH, that will be it..

Brind
18-05-2003, 11:43 PM
I know, it's quite a common problem really.. no one ever thinks it will happen to them.

Petrolhead
18-05-2003, 11:57 PM
PMSL!! :D :D :D

I knew I should have kept the standard filter on for the rolling road day, what a twat.

Ok, I'll try cleaning the airflow bits n bobs, and re-setting the ecu, oh, and getting a Jack-russel for the other problem ;)

Will keep you posted.

D.

Roadrunner
19-05-2003, 08:31 AM
I had the engine running for about 15 minutes beforehand, coz I thought I shouldn't floor it when cold.
I ran my Legacy at Star and did exactly the same as you beforehand, for the same reason. However, Jim said it wan't a good idea because the under-bonnet hear renders the intercooler almost useless. Second time on, I just ran the car for a couple of minutes to re-warm the oil and it was about 15bhp better :) . He does have a good fan, though, and seems to know what he's doing :) .

Air Flow Sensor would be my next check, as mentioned above, because it could have become contaminated depending on how effective the new induction kit is at filtering the air. Is it a dry filter, or one that requires to be oiled beforehand? The oiled type was definitely not recommended for the Subaru because of the contamination issue.

Brian

Brind
19-05-2003, 08:56 PM
My AYC pump is dying so read the thread called "What's up with it now?"

Because my cars power has risen considerably!!!!
I took it to my local Mitsi dealer today for them to check out, they put it up on the ramps and plugged in a fault tester whatsname, I guess at some stage they reset my ECU.
The car was running on normal 95RON unleaded before I got it, now it's getting Optimax, I guess the ECU went into fail safe which I read some turbo cars do when they have a bad batch of fuel or whatever.

When I got into it to drive home it instantly burst into tremendous life and almost snapped my neck!
It must have gone into fail safe because of the fuel, but lets just say it goes like SH*T now! :eek: