PDA

View Full Version : Slowness and things being broken

Kieran
01-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Guys -

You may notice that things are going haywire at the moment. Something's happened to our hosting package and it's reset our disk quotas to 2GB. Not good, seeing how the site currently has a 9GB footprint!/pan

I don't know exactly what's happened or why - All our bills are paid.

I've raised a support ticket with the hosting company, so hopefully we'll be fixed soon.:happy:

Nutter_John
01-04-2008, 01:49 PM
i did notice that when i sent Pagers or PM's they did not send and disappeared

richy rich
01-04-2008, 01:54 PM
And the uploader is not working.

Kieran
01-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Dunno about pagers/PMs, but certainly the uploader is directly related to the issues with hosting. As soon as we get near the quota, the uploader/attachments is the first thing to go offline.

Beastlee
01-04-2008, 04:28 PM
9GB??? Jeez there has got to be a whole shedload of waste in there.

Kieran
01-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Okay, that should have sorted out.

Now to try and bring the disk usage back to a more reasonable level... :smash:

richy rich
01-04-2008, 05:14 PM
9GB??? Jeez there has got to be a whole shedload of waste in there.
I don't think 9GB is that much considering all info, vids and pics on here.

ANTHONY
01-04-2008, 07:21 PM
I don't think 9GB is that much considering all info, vids and pics on here.and posts from pitslayer/pan

Kieran
01-04-2008, 10:25 PM
and posts from pitslayer/pan

/lol

White Lightning
02-04-2008, 12:34 PM
I don't think 9GB is that much considering all info, vids and pics on here.

Yeah, but it's the rate at which it's expanding :speechles

We hit the 8GB limit in January and increased the disk space to 10GB (which cost a fair few £££). Now we are only 500MB of that.

Kieran - may be time for an IT EGM to get this sorted! Tonight, I will take a look at the notes I have from when the hosting company looked at this before on our behalf.

Beastlee
02-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Who's hosting?

I still reckon 9GB is a lot for what data is held on here. The movies aren't that big due to the uploader restrictions.

White Lightning
02-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Who's hosting?

Hosting Unlimited

http://www.hosting-unlimited.net/

Nutter_John
02-04-2008, 01:02 PM
sure it's not

www.hosting-verylimited.net

:p

Beastlee
02-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Never heard of them, not sure what it's costing at the mo but would it be worth swapping to a dedicated server? A reliable US dedicated server doesn't cost much and provides bags of space and bandwidth. Probably more than the cost of the current hosting but you'd really see the difference.

I used to manage a few of these and they were fantastic.

Kieran
02-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Kieran - may be time for an IT EGM to get this sorted! Tonight, I will take a look at the notes I have from when the hosting company looked at this before on our behalf.

I'll be online around 9PM tonight.

Johnny_Cashed
02-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Given the IT skills of people in here, we must be one of the most over qualified car clubs!

Beastlee
02-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Must be an IT thing to go for VR4s/Galants.

ANTHONY
02-04-2008, 08:47 PM
now I'm not complaining about paying membership I'm all in favorer of it But how do OZVR4.COM have the same format of site but dont charge? are they useing a differnt host over there?

Paul Beazer
02-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Perhaps they host it themselves?

Nick Mann
02-04-2008, 09:40 PM
I would guess that the site is not so big, or the owner pays the bills from his own pocket. I'm not on there much, so I can't really say. Maybe ask?

From a UK point of view, the membership fee helps pay for things like the gazebo & flags for meets and shows, plus it puts money in the kitty to buy tickets for shows up front. (Remember the days when you had to pay months in advance, because the club couldn't buy tickets up front?) It also obviously covers the hosting fees, stocks of merchandise, business cards, etc.

Beastlee
02-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Without sounding like I'm critising..typing messages never gets the context across properly.

Do OzVR4 offer the membership extras that CVR4 does? Do they buy up extra related items for display stands, etc and do the funds help buy workshop manuals (regardless of the resale potential its the help that counts) and extras at events?

I think regardless of host you have a high cost. I can get plenty of space to put the site on and even mail servers for it all but the bandwidth is a killer. If OZVR4 is hosted privately they need a decent connection speed which again costs. I'll do some digin with my hosting contacts and see what deals are available but can one of the committee please PM me with some ballpark prices to help me work out what you have in the way of funding if you want me to do it.

bradc
02-04-2008, 09:47 PM
yeah Van pays for it all himself. Their site isn't too big, and they aren't hosting videos at all, and the pic attachment max is 100kb, so they won't be using a lot of space.

Ultimately they will probably start asking for donations.

On that note - Paul, what's up with you being a regular (L)user now? Cause you're selling the V6?

Beastlee
02-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Guess I took too long to type.....yeah I mean what Nick says /haz

Paul Beazer
03-04-2008, 01:44 PM
On that note - Paul, what's up with you being a regular (L)user now? Cause you're selling the V6?
Cheeky! No im "trying" (not very hard at all) to sell the V6, but i've just not got round to sorting the renewal out yet! You wont get rid of me that easily!

White Lightning
03-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Just so that everyone knows, we have resolved the disk space worries in the short term thanks to Kenneth. We had lots of websites statistics on the server which were taking up 1.8GB. Those have been cleared out. So, now we are using around 7.6GB of our 10GB allocation.

The next thing to tackle is the videos as they are taking up 2.4GB.

bradc
03-04-2008, 06:40 PM
youtube them :)

ANTHONY
03-04-2008, 07:45 PM
I would guess that the site is not so big, or the owner pays the bills from his own pocket. I'm not on there much, so I can't really say. Maybe ask?

From a UK point of view, the membership fee helps pay for things like the gazebo & flags for meets and shows, plus it puts money in the kitty to buy tickets for shows up front. (Remember the days when you had to pay months in advance, because the club couldn't buy tickets up front?) It also obviously covers the hosting fees, stocks of merchandise, business cards, etc. as i said I'm all in favorer of paying it was just an observation on another club

Nick Mann
03-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Yeah, I appreciate that. I was trying to summarise some of the places the money goes.

From the point of view of another club, the MLR charges £35 for one years membership.