PDA

View Full Version : Office 07 reactivation problem on new laptop

Nice But
02-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Hope someone can help. I've just bought a new laptop (XP) to replace Fi's ageing P4 toshiba. I've uninstalled Office 2007 from her old one and want to re install it on the new one. I keep getting the 'product cannot be activated on more than 2 computers'........../pan well it isn't on 2 bloody computers, I only want it on Fi's new one.

Anybody got a clue as to how I can un activate it on hers? Microsoft website is a smuch use as a choclate teapot. I'll have a search on tinternet as well.....

Cheers

g6acb
02-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Activate it over the phone rather than online? I think you have to explain, in your best Indianlish, that you are changing computer.....

Paul Beazer
02-04-2008, 12:30 PM
I think newer microsoft products will allow for 1 re-registration (after a rebuild for example) and then you may have to apply / pay for a new licence key, i know there are similar "issues" with Vista, to prevent a valid licence key being used for a copied version of the software, unless its a volume licence rather than a presonal one....

Nice But
02-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Thanks Guys........ I might be able to get away with uninstalling completely of her old one, removing the .DAT file is the one to be done as that is what Microsoft use to validate on use.....

I'll have a go when the laptop turns up, should be ok after having a search about ont' web.

HMG1K
02-04-2008, 02:38 PM
I think it's a case of once it's activated online / over the phone, that's one activation... Uninstalling / removing the relevant file with the registration details doesn't do anything...

You'll have to register online - or as g6acb and Paul says - ring the Office activation line and tell them of your situation and get a code from there.

bradc
02-04-2008, 08:38 PM
hmm, it isn't an OEM copy of office is it? OEM is only supposed to be installed on one machine, you aren't allowed to move it to another machine.

I call MS activation probably once a week for our customers. I always say the same thing:

Hi, I just got my computer back from the store after I had some viruses and it is coming up with this message and it told me to call this number, what do I do?

They will say in half Indian / half English

Is this software installed on another computer?

Obviously you say no to that one....

And then you'll get the key. Has worked 100% of the time for me over the last 6 years!

HMG1K
02-04-2008, 08:52 PM
hmm, it isn't an OEM copy of office is it? OEM is only supposed to be installed on one machine, you aren't allowed to move it to another machine.

I call MS activation probably once a week for our customers. I always say the same thing:

Hi, I just got my computer back from the store after I had some viruses and it is coming up with this message and it told me to call this number, what do I do?

They will say in half Indian / half English

Is this software installed on another computer?

Obviously you say no to that one....

And then you'll get the key. Has worked 100% of the time for me over the last 6 years!

Hehehe! Yep, there's always around it! Your biggest problem is getting the call centre staff to understand what it is you want them to give you!

bradc
02-04-2008, 09:39 PM
what is quite good fun is trying to lead them away from their flow chart of what they are supposed to say and in what order.

Asking them what they had to eat for lunch, asking them if they have a beard, or asking them if they are concerned about global oil prices is great fun. Ohh and can't forget about asking them for their email address so you can send them some photo's of yourself.

Ryan
02-04-2008, 10:03 PM
you're twisted Dude. :P

Ohh and can't forget about asking them for their email address so you can send them some photo's of yourself.

HMG1K
02-04-2008, 10:38 PM
But they always insist on getting your email address so that they can send you a questionaire for you to say how wonderful they were at solving your 60 second problem in a mere 2 hours!

bernmc
03-04-2008, 05:46 PM
As has been said - just phone the activation line. I've never had a problem with legitimate software ;). A brief 'I've bought a new PC to replace the old knackered one' is all it takes.

Nice But
03-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks guys....... Brad, love it :afro: .

It is genuine not OEM I own the license.

Not an Indian call centre /pan just left a firm who has one of those...........BT:happy: