PDA

View Full Version : Can the auto box take more power???

Dave G
02-04-2008, 06:46 PM
I am going to buy my first vr4 galant and want it to be future proof.
Is the invecsll gearbox clever enough to handle more power than
standard, or will the torque converter say 'no thanks' like all other
autoboxs'??? iv read about fuzzy logic and load sensing, does
this allow the autobox to handle more power???

orionn2o
02-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Depends on how much more you want!?

I suspect if you wanna go over 400 bhp its not going to last forever.

Welcome to the club :)

Nick Mann
02-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Several members on here have run at Santa Pod with well over 300 bhp plus 100 bhp of NOS. Those boxes lasted 12.5 seconds of abuse, repeated every half hour or so!

I have snapped an output shaft on an auto box, with around 320 bhp and a bad gear change, but it's the same shaft as a manual box, so that doesn't necessarily mean that the manual will cope any better.

You will need to be looking at bigger turbos (not an easy job) before you need to worry about the box, IMO. Not saying it is fool proof, but it seems to be up to the job, providing it is in good condition and is serviced properly.

bradc
02-04-2008, 08:30 PM
there have been quite a few people in the UK that have done a lot of drag racing with them using nitrous and stuff, and they haven't managed to kill their gearboxes.

Then there have been a lot of failures in stock cars that were treated nicely. It seems to be down to the oil you use, how often you change it, and if the oil ever gets too hot.

Best advice is to wander around and do a bit of searching on the matter, there are lots of threads on the subject

Grizzly
02-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Take a look here: http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=294314&page=4

Aaron (Monsta) made a real 420whp monster out of his Airtrek Turbo that uses the same AT (W5A51) as our cars do.

His AT still alive and kicking after 65000km.
Recipe is quite easy: cooler for ATF to keep it at 80-90 deg.C, and regular ATF change :) To be honest I was quite impressed myself...