PDA

View Full Version : Autobox pump question.

Solardavid350
02-04-2008, 11:52 PM
Hi all, i had an enquiry on my car and the potential buyer says he has a galant V6 and works in a garage and says these cars are prone to this pump problem.
Anyone had a box pump failure or know of this ???

Nutter_John
02-04-2008, 11:56 PM
not heard of a pump failure on the tip box but thats not to say some have and then the g'box been replaced , but iirc the v6 box is the not same as the vr4 one .

the common failures is the tc seal or cooked fuild

Kieran
03-04-2008, 12:11 AM
The V6 is well known for the Torque Converter splines going bang and taking the input shaft splines with them.

However as john says, the VR-4 'box (W5A51) is of different consruction to the F4A42 used in the V6. The fault isn't common to both - The VR-4 box does have some weak areas, but they don't usually prove fatal if dealt with promptly.:scholar:

richy rich
03-04-2008, 07:58 AM
Ive never heard of a Gear box oil pump failure on these cars, the common problem is the T/C seal, which is the seal between the T/C and the oil pump.

Eurospec
03-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Not known it on a VR4. The V6 box probably has a lot in common with an fto box, and that will spit the pump now and again. Normally they strip the tc splines though like Kieran said.

Cheers,

Ben.

Paul Beazer
03-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Hi all, i had an enquiry on my car and the potential buyer says he has a galant V6 and works in a garage and says these cars are prone to this pump problem.
Anyone had a box pump failure or know of this ???
sounds like someone is trying to get you to flog your car for a song.........

elnevio
03-04-2008, 07:06 PM
the potential buyer says he has a galant V6 and works in a garage and says these cars are prone to this pump problem
Well, he's said that he has a V6 - I assume non-VR-4. And then says, 'these cars', which suggests the V6s.

It may be a genuine error and he is generalising, i.e. lumping the VR-4 and V6 together, without realising that the gearboxes are noticeably different. Give him the gearbox codes as above, and the benefit of the doubt. But it certainly doesn't seem to be a bargaining point! If anything, use it to your advantage!

Oh yeah, nice car, and good luck with the sale! :2thumbsup

Solardavid350
03-04-2008, 11:58 PM
Thanks all,
i replied back with your helpful info, he seems happy that the VR4 box is different.
I just wasn`t sure that the boxes were different, but sine the V6 is fwd and ours are 4wd i thought that they might be different to handle the extra bhp and torque and had the rear output.

Also he did mention about the crankshaft, but i am pretty sure ours are forged and can handle around 400bhp?Please correct me if i am wrong as i`m sure i`ve read it many times in other posts.

Nutter_John
04-04-2008, 06:00 AM
The crank shaft is forged , it should run 400 easily , but tbh why is he asking this level of question ?