PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the windows/conservatory business?

bernmc
03-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Just been quoted for a conservatory. It's pretty big - around 50 square meters. Essentially will allow my wife to run her new business from home (beauty/spa with Botox by Dr B :)!!).

Quote works out to around £1400/square meter, which made me go /JawDroppi.

Bricks matched to our current (reclaimed), oak effect, double glazed with sun wotsit on all the glass, a couple of electric bits that open in the roof, toilet & shower off to one side, electrics to support (lights, 15 double sockets and so on)... so not your average home conservatory.

Is that the kind of going rate you'd expect for top of the range nowadays? Or are these guys just taking the p? It's a lot more than I expected, but I have no idea what these things cost nowadays.

The other way of looking at it, I suppose, is business premises for that sort of price - not easy to match if we bought a separate unit in a business district...

stuartturbo
03-04-2008, 09:03 PM
not sure but Wickes would be about £20k for a pvc wood look say £5k for a wet room
Proper spark's are not cheap
then the ground work and you doing the work
Proper hard wood and matched ( the big one) wack the price up the all there labour rates
Get a proper break down to scrutinise the quote

Mark 4
03-04-2008, 09:23 PM
That seems horrendously expensive. I built my own a couple of years ago. It's 25 square metres and cost me 3k all in. I would have thought that for that size and spec you should be looking at 25k max.

Nick Mann
03-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Try a PM to MPR234. He is my neighbour and runs his own window/door/conservatory business. They are only a two man team, so I guess what you want is probably a bit out of their normal operation, but he may be able to give a guide on price?

WildCards
03-04-2008, 10:04 PM
The folks bought an Amdega conservatory 10 years ago, it's around 15ft x 10ft and that came in just shy of £20k. It is solid wood and a custom design, you get what you pay for IMO as it's still there, absolutley perfect as the day it was put up.
My dad however had a poxy ColdSeal conservatory put up for considerably less and it's crap by comparison, cheap, plastic, ill fitting parts and it's had to have repairs twice in the 8 or so years it's stood.

I assume your going to get more quotes, a mates parents had three companies quote for a large conservatory on the bakc of their house just before christmas, apparently the lowest and highest differed by £30,000!! They went with the middle one I believe.

bernmc
03-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Ta all. WIll try MPR234.

Yes, we will be getting more quotes....

Johnny_Cashed
03-04-2008, 10:55 PM
I work for a company and one of the things that we produce/supply is polycarbonate and glazing bars for conservatory roofing - ask if you need any advice on that. We also produce vents.

Wodjno
03-04-2008, 11:10 PM
For 70k you could have a Large 3 Bed, double storey extension with loft conversion !!:speechles

PS.. I'll ask around /yes

PPS.. Page me your location :D

bernmc
03-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Lichfield, Staffs ;)